“Flying from Miami to Rome & back”
Review of Alitalia

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Alitalia had the only non-stop flight from Miami to Rome, so I used them. Originally I booked Premium Economy and then a week or so before my flight they sent me an email to bid on Business Class if I wanted. The meter on their website rated my bid of $400 as good, but I didn't get it. At the airport I paid the upcharge of $800. My flight back from Rome to Miami, I also bid $400 and I did get it. What was weird was that my flight from Rome to Miami seemed full but my first flight from Miami to Rome was not. Supply/demand? The flight from Miami to Rome was about 10 hours. It was an older plane. There was no way to individually adjust the temperature for my seat and I was hot the whole flight. Other than this, my seat did fully recline into a bed and the flight attendants did a good job, and the food was good. The same with the flight back but it wasn't as hot and was a little longer in duration.

Note, by waiting to bid on the Business Class seat I saved probably $3000. Really. When I booked the flight I called Alitalia and their rep told me I may get a chance to bid on the more expensive seat. Premium Economy roundtrip direct from Miami to Rome and back was $2020. For around $1300 more I got Business Class, and when I booked this seat was going for over $6000.

If I hadn't been hot on the flight or had gotten the seat even cheaper I would rate higher. And one other thing, the phone charger USB port didn't not work well, barely charged my phone.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank JohnL_Delray
Write a ReviewReviews (15,626)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Jhb to Rome in economy class on 1 Feb was better than expected after reading many bad reviews of Alitalia. We paid a bit extra for comfort seats on the Rome / Milan route. Service & food was good on both legs & a second glass of wine with dinner was absolutely no problem. Breakfast was a warm chocolate chip pastry with a cup of coffee which is what most Italians enjoy in the mornings anyway. Our bid for an upgrade to premium economy was granted on our return trip on 12 Feb which was wonderful with more leg room, wider seats & more recline. The cabin staff were extremely friendly & service was excellent. We will use Alitalia again.

Date of travel: February 2019
3  Thank DebbieL2911
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Comfort was ok, probably my seat was a little bit small (I’m 1.90 mt tall) but in general the flight was good. Food better than I expected before taking off!

8  Thank bocaleoz
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is the rest of my story.
The flight from Rome to JFK had the worst air service EVER. Ground staff who are arrogant. Flight staff who don't care at all.
I sent emails and called Alitalia's customer service. The email said we understand you had a complaint about the flight. Next email said closed. The phone service tells me "sorry for the inconveniences but there's nothing we want to do to make amends".
SO HERE IS MY AMENDS!
AVOID THIS AIRLINE! THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER AT ALL.
SO MAYBE AS CUSTOMERS WE JUST DONT USE THEM.
I WILL SPENT HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO AVOID alitalia.

Date of travel: December 2018
2  Thank The_whole_truths
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The seats of the flight from Rome to Narita were very tight. Compared to other airlines, I felt uncomfortable. I did not feel so from Narita to Rome.The flight is 3 -4-3 seats. Other service were normal. It might be old aircraft.

• Food and Beverage