“Had their head up in the clouds!”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Attn. TripAdvisor review editors: You bounced this same review back to me with the explanation that you felt the number of stars I selected didn't agree with the content of the review. I give American Airlines 4 stars, I give this experience 1 star. As a retail merchant who has to deal with customer reviews, I don't think it's fair to review the entire company on one experience. Change the star rating as you wish.

So our return trip to PHL was diverted to BOS due to weather in PHL. OK, so not their problem, been there done that. Pilot comes on and says that we'll be staying overnight (It was 9PM or so, an hour after our scheduled arrival in PHL) and that we would get vouchers for hotel and meals. Get to BOS and the ground agents had no clue how to let everyone know what was happening next or where to go. Found our way to customer service counter and waited in another line, and finally got vouchers for meals and a stay at the Hyatt Harborside. Hyatt . . . not bad, I thought. Waited some more for the hotel shuttle and when we got there and waited in another line, the desk clerk advised all of us that they had NO ROOMS! This after AA checking their computer and saying that they had rooms blocked? Called AA and that said we would have to GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT! to have them find rooms at another hotel. What were the chances? This at 11:00 PM? And we hadn't had anything to eat since leaving PUJ at 3:30? Had dinner at the Hyatt and then booked my own room at a nearby Hampton Inn and submitted the receipt to AA. Over a week ago and no word back from AA yet. And you can't CALL Customer Service, you have to email them???!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (46,771)

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Cancun to Sacramento, via Phoenix. Outbound was packed so we let them confiscate our to carryons to put into the checked baggage. Figure, on the way home, if they go missing, I have more of everything when I get there. Luckily, no issues. Point of US entry phoenix, so you have to go through customs and immigration then. Got our checked bag and went through customs. There is a counter right outside that will collect your connection luggage and redeposit it. Line was huge, and our connection time was short. Employee saw us, zapped our luggage tags, and pulled us out of the line to a different counter where they took our bags immediately and off we went. Phoenix airport is HUGE, or it least it feels like it when you are running short of time and have to go from international to the domestic terminals. Both flights were on time, and uneventful. in flight entertainment, so-so. Non-alcoholic beverage and cookies for snacks. Planes were clean and fairly comfortable.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

My husband had a flight arranged for him through his work to attend a conference in Seattle, WA. The flight was from Chicago, non-stop from O'Hare. We had little control over what was purchased, but we were at least able to negotiate an aisle seat, which he prefers.

The flight was delayed on the outgoing flight from Chicago by about 30 minutes, but arrived on time on the return leg of the flight. He found the seats on the 737-800 to be a bit cramped. There is no food service on these longer national flights, so he recommends packing a snack or picking up something before boarding.

Entertainment didn't really exist on this flight, but it was only about four hours so he was able to manage with the portable devices that he brought with him. As this was arranged through his work, he was not informed that the flight didn't come with checked baggage and ended up having to pay an extra $50 ($25 each way) for his checked bag.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I flew American Airlines from Vancouver to Los Angeles on flight 6045 departing 6 am on a Sunday morning and was impressed by what American Airlines had to offer for such a short flight given it was operated with a small plane (Embraer 175). In Business Class, it was three seats across with the A seat being by itself so sitting in 1A, I had the benefit of greater legroom, no risk of someone reclining back into my space and being both a window and an aisle seat at the same time. The ERJ 175 is a fairly new plane so the leather seats were comfortable with a good amount of room for a small plane, and the overhead bins could actually accommodate a fairly large roll on board (which I used to have to gate valet check when American used to operate this route with a smaller older plane). For the 2 hour flight, business class was served a choice of granola with yogurt or a protein plate with two types of cheese, two pieces of different cold cuts, and a cooked egg (and both were accompanied by a somewhat overly dried out cinnamon roll and a fruit plate of kiwi, orange, strawberry, pineapple and grapes). Drinks were also offered after boarding and before take-off so all in all, a lot of service for a short flight.

The flight pushed back on time notwithstanding one gentleman in business class decided to de-board just a couple of minutes before pushback and it arrived about 10 minutes early ahead of schedule. By the way, the arrival time and the flight time needs a bit of explanation as although the flight time is only 2 hours, it took about 30 minutes for the plane to reach the small regional jets terminal after touchdown on the runway as it was a long taxi route with a lot of planes and vehicle traffic to yield to on the way.

The major downside of this flight is with the arrival terminal and the early hours operations of Vancouver airport. The arrival at the remote regional jets terminal meant that to get to connecting flights, one had to take a transfer bus to one of the other main American Airlines terminals at LAX - either 4 or 5 for domestic and Tom Bradley for International flights - and the line up for the transfer buses to the various terminals at around 9:15 am was completely packed and confusing with no way to figure out which line was going to which terminal and obvious concern for all about how long the wait would be for a transfer bus to the terminal one needed to get to. What I did - and I recommend this for anyone connecting at another terminal - is just to get in whichever line is shortest and moving (ie there is a bus there and people are boarding) as the three terminals that American Airline uses are all connected by underground tunnels so you can probably walk between the terminals in less time than it may take for you to wait for the right transfer bus. I ended up getting on a terminal 4 bus and then walking over to the Tom Bradley International Terminal in less than 5 minutes.

The other concern I mentioned above is with the early morning operations of Vancouver airport. As this was a US bound flight, you clear US customs in Vancouver rather than at the arrival airport. However, the operating times of each component you need to pass to board the flight are completely mis-matched - (1) the check in counter for American Airlines opens at 3 am, (2) but you cannot check in your luggage until the US security counter for in-take of luggage opens at 4 am but if you wait for 4 am to arrive at the airport to check in with American Airlines, you will find the line for security for checked luggage will also be very long - farther than the eye can see, (3) security and baggage check both open at 4 am but once you pass through airport security (ie. metal detectors and body scanners) and have your passport scanned at one of the automatic US border machines in the US customs and immigration area, you now join a rapidly lengthening line of passengers waiting to show their scanned receipts to a Homeland Security officer because those officers do not begin work until 4:30 am. Therefore to summarize, you need to get to the airport by at least 3:30 am if you want to beat the line-ups at security for checked luggage and Homeland Security, but no matter what you do and how early you go, there is no way you can possibly make it to the gates before 4:30 am so your minimum wait is 1 hour.

One perk of this trip was that I had the opportunity to try the Qantas First lounge on this trip as I have OneWorld Emerald status access and was connecting to an American Airlines flight to Las Vegas. The Qantas First lounge is on the second level of the Tom Bradley Terminal, which can be reached by a fairly new (about one year) walkway and bridge in about 5 minutes of brisk walking from Terminal 4 (there are also moving walkways to assist you most of the way). It is a superb high quality lounge with very tasteful luxurious seating, all well spaced out so you can have a bit of a private space to yourself (since the lounge probably had less than 30 guests in it when I was there at about 9:30 am). The dining area was not a self-serve buffet but rather than a full uniformed waiter area who brings you a menu of items you can order cooked right then for you. Unfortunately, the waffles with berries I wanted to order was not available notwithstanding its inclusion in the menu so I settled for the croquet monsieur with ham and gruyere cheese, which was delicious. Coffee also was made to order and nice and hot. Of course, this luxury is not the norm for North American travel but owing to OneWorld status, it was a very nice perk to have indeed connecting between two North American flights.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Flight from Fresno was delayed 4 hours, this caused me to miss my connecting flight. AA said they were going to provide hotel vouchers after displacing almost everyone on their plane..... two hours later (it's now midnight and our flight was supposed to leave at 1:45 pm) and we are still waiting in the airport!!!!!!! customer service sucks. Horrible experience. Also there was blood in my seat on the plane! Ew.