“Better Airline?”
Review of American Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First things first...why does one purchase airline conforming sized carry-on luggage to begin with? My humble opinion is convenience, travel light, and no baggage claim fiascos. AA often asks for volunteers to check their carry-on, then typically forces non-volunteers until the luggage goal is obtained. Over all these years of flight, an airline can't do the math & measurements as to what,who,and how things will fit? Baffles me. Other than choosing the almighty dollar over customer satisfaction!

Secondly, let's talk about delays. This subject seems to be all too common on this forum. 4 flights, 4 delays in the past month with American Airlines. Wierd how I haven't had any delays with Southwest or United in the past year of travel. I was an aircraft mechanic for 16 years and in aviation management for another 5. So I understand the business and unpredictable discrepancies, malfunctions, weather, etc. But come on! I suggest an audit, because the process seems to be broken with little concern for necessary improvement.

On the upside, the gate employee was amazingly kind and understanding (carry-on issue at BWI). I would give her 5 stars.

I'm done traveling with AA. If you have a choice and want a lower risk of delays and misfortune, you should probably go with a more reliable airline.

1  Thank liljimmy227
Write a ReviewReviews (39,739)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It may be all our issue but nowhere else have we run into this rule. If you go to the airline website or general airline information, it describes bags ought to be checked 30-45 minutes before the flight domestically. After the PSA fiasco cancelled well over 600 flights, we altered our plans and flew out of CVG vs Dayton. We arrived before 5am for a 6:27a flight... plenty of time... backlash from the flight cancellations, understaffing at American, slow computers meant a reasonable line was also a very slow line ...at 5:40a at the agent American refused to check our bags since it was less than an hour to flight time... even though there was plenty of time to catch the flight... don’t get caught on this one...

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Landing at O'Hare at 8:00 PM, the American Eagle connecting flight to Madison, WI was cancelled. I had to stand in the customer service line for 3 hours, just to ask if I could get a hotel voucher. No, I was told since it was due to bad weather. 2 agents were assisting 50+ customers waiting in line, later 2 more came but it was not enough to support all of the people that missed their flights for whatever reason. Why there was no way to accomplish this by email/chat/text/digital/cloud is beyond me in this day and age. There should have been someone announcing that if you need a hotel voucher, none would be given out. We ended up staying at O'Hare in a cot overnight - in a noisy environment and awakened at 4:00 am to be kicked out and ended up waiting another 3 hours for our flight. When we boarded the flight finally, the plane had a high pitched sound the whole time, giving me a horrific headache! Completely unacceptable, thank goodness I wasn't traveling with a young child. I will never fly American, and will discourage anyone from flying this airline! Please note, the majority of this is not for the actual flight, but for the "customer service" we dealt with in O'Hare.

1  Thank Ellen P
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

our flight was on time and upon the on board wait staff finding out that we were headed to GA to see our son graduate from Army boot camp, they kindly bought us a round of drinks. when we landed we discovered that one of our check bags had accidentally been put on the wrong flight and had ended up in Charlotte SC. The airline made all the arrangements to have it brought to us at our destination hotel with no fuss-no muss and we had the bag back in our possession early the next morning.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent flight. On time. Flight attendants were very charming. We went Business Class and got individual pods which makes flying long distances very comfortable. My wife slept most of the way. I saw 3 movies which consumed the entire flight. Food was acceptable.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)