I added an extra day in New Orleans to a Deep South tour. I waved off the main group at 10.30 to catch Delta flights to Atlanta and on to UK airports. I waved off a smaller group at 18.00 for a direct BA flight to London.
The next day I left the hotel at 08.30 to catch the 11.35 to New York (JFK). A 2+ hour stopover found me on the 18.00 to London. I think I got the best deal. The direct flight more or less over flies New York so I added maybe 3 hours to my journey. In exchange
1. I was not hanging around all day in a hot humid New Orleans or a hotel lobby
2. I was not cooped up on a plane for 8-9 hours
3. I had a comfortable flight on a 2 seats aside plane to Kennedy
4. I had a nice leg stretch and snack in JFK
5. My final flight was on an Airbus operated by partner airline Virgin Atlantic with Emirates (my favourite airline) level of comfort.
6. Favourable winds meant just 5.5 hours in the air
7. A landing just after 06.00 gave me a quick traverse through baggage reclaim and customs and easy onward journey before the rush hour.
The combination of easy boarding, without massive security queues (lines for USA readers!), at Louis Armstrong airport, baggage taken care of in New York and a short hop to London all contributed to one of the most pleasant air journeys I have experienced. Cabin crew were charming on both flights.
Well done Delta and their partner airline Virgin Atlantic!