“Overall good, but...”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 16 November 2018 via mobile

We travelled on etihad airlines for the first time in Oct 2018 in business class as it was almost a 10 hours flight and we wanted a good space to sleep for the long journey. On arrival to check in counter for departure we were informed that one of our names was misspelled, and since we originally did the booking it was our fault, so we payed around 30 kd for name corrections and that was it, nothing else, no warning that all our seat reservations for the return flight will be cancelled due to name adjustment, no paper to warn us, nothing!!. So we enjoyed our trip with the illusion that the problem was simply solved and we don't have to worry about anything because Etihad airways did everything for us. 2 weeks pass, we finish our trip and are ready to head back home. The check in counter takes almost 15 minutes trying to process our papers, which we didn't mind at all, but then says " sorry i couldn't put you next to each other! "...excuse me!". I show her our reservation paper with our seats confirmed next to each other and forward facing and she says "sorry I don't know what happened, but one of your reservations doesn't show in the system?". After 10 minutes of trying to look for a solution we were downgraded to backward looking seats just to be next to each other, not the fault of the flight attendants or check in staff as they did their best to help us, but really etihad airways!! Could you at least hand in a printed paper or instruct your check in crew to verbally inform customers that only paying the fee doesn't solve the issue and that you might "lose your reserved seats" incase of name change, so that at least i can connect to the wifi at the business lounge and RE-reserve my seats for the flight back home if your staff are NOT ALLOWED TO DO IT?!.other than that the flight from home to Narita was very comfortable with our original seat reservation. The food was very good and icluded both arabic and japanese selections with some western dishes and a good variety of desserts. the movies selection on our 10 hours flight was very good and uptodate and we had a comfortable sleep on the 180 degree inclined seat.

Date of travel: November 2018
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2018

Dear Reem,

Thank you for bringing your recent experience to our attention. We would like to hear more about this, please send us a private message or contact us via our Feedback Form online.

Thank you. *Rose

Write a ReviewReviews (12,859)

Reviewed 15 November 2018 via mobile

Etihad provided me an efficient service during my long haul flight to Rome. The cabin crew are very nice to cater the needs of their passengers. It was indeed an awesome experience with Etihad Airways.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money

Dear Anamoj,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of your recent Etihad experience. Please let us know when you will be returning again.

Reviewed 15 November 2018 via mobile

My overnight flight to dublin was overbooked to denied me boarding. I specifically booked this flight and paid extra to arrive in dublin before 8am. But now im currently sitting in the airport waiting and will have to stay here overnight and all I get I a measley $300 credit note, not even food vochers or an offer to stay in a hotel over night. Absolutely disgraceful! Never again!

Dear Linda,

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience with us. Please send us a private message or contact us via our Social Media channels so that we can investigate this further.

Reviewed 15 November 2018

This is the first time I've flown with Etihad. Melbourne to Milan return with a stopover in Abu Dhabi on each leg. I think the airline was pretty good; can not fault the service of the cabin staff and the food was okay; no better or worse than expected.

Where they were let down is in the plane itself. A 787 Dreamliner is too cramped for a 13-14 hour long haul flight; it needs to be an A380. We found both the Melbourne - Abu Dhabi legs quite tough because of this. The seats seem to be narrower with less leg room. Also there was almost no one sitting in the extra leg room seats near the bulkhead. I asked about sitting there and they said it would cost $US140 per person to upgrade. Absolute rip off; $US50 would be reasonable.

The flight from Milan - Abu Dhabi on an A330 was a lot more comfortable. I flew Melbourne - LA last year on a Qantas A380. This is a 14 hour flight and was a lot more comfortable. I would fly Etihad again but not long haul on a Dreamliner.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding

Dear Marc,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. We hope to see you again in the future to try out our A380, currently we fly this fleet to London, Paris, New York and Sydney,

Etihad EY 402 Bangkok - Abu Dhabi

I am 200cm tall. Being this tall makes travelling significantly uncomfortable at the best of times, particularly with regards to legroom. Buses, trains, ferries, taxis, planes are all an issue, but usually quite easy to make more comfortable with a little forward thinking and time allocation to get there early and get the better suited seat.

I travel long haul fairly regularly, approximately 200-300 hours a year worldwide. I always arrive at the departure airport earlier than recommended in order to try and secure an exit seat with some extra leg room. Most Lang haul companies I fly with are happy to oblige free of charge. However, some companies see these seats as ‘premium’ and see it as a place to squeeze a little extra profit out of their customers despite the seats not actually being all that ‘premium’ (next to the toilets or kitchen and used as communal stretching areas for other passengers during the flight etc).

I do not agree that I should have to pay extra to experience the same level of comfort as other passengers just because I am taller than average and therefore taller than the plane was designed for. I really appreciate it when the company I am flying with uses a little compassion and common sense to try and provide me with a good service and seat that fits where possible.

On boarding, i noticed there were 5x empty ‘premium’ seats 3 rows in front of me. I demonstrated to the air stewardess (Olga) that I do not fit in the standard seat 18H and as such I asked if I could move to one of the 5x empty exits seats in front of me by the toilet and kitchen. This would not only make my trip more comfortable but also the passenger sat next to me and in front of me. Being this tall means I was taking up their space too or cannot allow for their chair to recline. She told me these were premium seats and cost $85. I explained that they are not premium for me they are just the only seats I fit in and it would be beneficial for other passengers as well as I.
Olga asked her manager and she again informed me that I would have to pay. I told her I can’t afford to upgrade to the ‘premium’ toilet seats every time I fly and asked if she could use an element of discretion and sympathy to allow for a better flight for myself and other passengers since the seats were vacant anyway. She declined again, repeating that it is policy to pay. I politely accepted her decision to remain glued to policy without any element of discretion or common sense being used and provided my standard and slightly embarrassed apology to my fellow passengers for any inconvenience caused by my height.

My two neighbouring passengers and I endured the next 6 hours or so. My knee in the isle being repeatedly hit by the trolley which resulted in the standard bruising I get due to a lack of care from the cabin crew when transiting up and down the isle.

We arrived in Abu Dhabi where another member of the cabin crew noticed my significantly larger height and frame when disembarking and kindly (albeit laughing at the same time) reminded me to “watch my head on the way out”. Although I appreciate her joking concern for my height related welfare, it was hard to take her seriously after the complete lack of compassion for the last 6 hours. Something that was noticed by the fellow passenger disembarking behind me who shook his head at her in disapproval at her remark.

Very disappointing for such a big player in the industry.

I am just about to board the EY 011 from Abu Dhabi to Heathrow and endure another 6 or 7 hours or so of discomfort for me and my fellow passengers.

I can only apologise for my height, but there’s not really a lot I can do about it unfortunately.

Fortunately however there is something airlines can do to help. A little compassion and common sense to allow tall, able bodied passengers to utilise exit rows. I don’t think it is a big ask from a multi million dollar profit making organisation in the grand scheme of things especially when hardly anyone on the last flight ‘upgraded’ their seat to premium and they remained empty the whole flight.

I hope you will consider this for myself and others in the near future as I do feel victimised.

Date of travel: November 2018
EtihadHelper, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2018

Hello, thank you for your review. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. We value your insights and need those to improve our service. Thank you. *Isi