“ Good Basics, Frills Lacking”
Review of Etihad Airways

Reviewed 16 December 2018 via mobile

It’s Business Class so what’s not too like?
I left glad I flew Business but in no way impressed, never mind wowed.

Well the ticket is €3500 so the bar is high and Etihad falls behind others.

The seats are pretty much the same layout and type as BA, offset so if you get a window you have a nice private space and can’t see or be seen by others passengers. If you have an isle it does feel a tad exposed. They do go 100% flat however and are good for sleeping, if a little right when all the way down. No mattress is provided. They are all forward facing.
A cushion is provided, the cover is not a pillow which is a bit of a pain, satin like and with seams.

Staff are very professional and attentive and Etihad should be proud.

Entertainment has plenty of new movies to choose from on a decent size screen, the headphones hurt after a while and have no noise cancellation.

Frills lacking?
Piper Heidsieck red label Champagne? Boring and bland and they were head and shoulders above other with Billecart-Salmon previously, part of the cost cutting at Etihad. The red from D’Arenberg called the Somm selection was good, the rest of the wine list is appalling for Business.
Their Sauternes dessert wine is undrinkable. The 10 year old port is good.

Food? Mediocre - The starters were excellent, being served cold helps. The mains were ok, no choice of how meat was to be presented. Cheese board was sub par. Dessert was fine.

Comfort pack has socks and eye cover, no ear plugs?

The lounge on other ends are very good with Abu Dhabi having a great food selection, showers and a spa

• Value for money
EtihadAirways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2018

Hi ArcfireSG,

Thank you for reaching out to us and glad you had an enjoyable flight. We take all feedback on board and will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the food and wine to our catering team.
We look forward to seeing you again soon. *Char

Write a ReviewReviews (12,838)

Reviewed 16 December 2018 via mobile

I paid $2000 to fly from JFK to Mumbai (return) with Etihad Airways. The flight was okay, just about average. I had checked-in 2 bags, but only one made it to Mumbai. I was told at Mumbai airport by baggage staff that my other bag was delayed and stuck at Abu Dhabi airport and I will get it back in a day. Later when I inquired, I was told by etihad office that my bag is not at Abu Dhabi and they don’t know where it is. The tracking number they gave me is useless, keeps showing “tracking continues”. It has now been 36 hours since I landed in Mumbai and the current status is as such- nobody knows where my bag is, I am unable to track it, and I am left in Mumbai with no clothes. My entire vacation has been ruined because somebody who was paid to do their job was negligent enough to mishandle my baggage. This is completely unacceptable by me. If j have paid $2000 to fly, I think it’s fair to expect my baggage to also fly with me and reach the same time as I do. I have been flying with Etihad Airways for the last 4 years, but this is definitely the last time. I shall never be flying with etihad again and I will also dissuade everyone I know from flying with Etihad Airways. I have a lot of friends who are studying and working in the US who routinely travel to India to visit family. I shall be spreading the word about how Etihad has treated a customer.

Hi Arnav C,

I'm really sorry to learn that your baggage was delayed on your arrival into Mumbai, I understand this is not an ideal situation. As you can imagine, baggage tracing can be a complicated process which takes time but we will always try to relocate your bag as soon as possible and contact you with relevant updates. Can I ask have you received your bag yet? If you have not yet received it please can you send us your PIR number in a private message on one of our social media channels (Facebook or Twitter). *Char

Reviewed 16 December 2018 via mobile

I flew with Etihad via Abu Dhabi to Pisa to compete in my first World Veterans Fencing Championshipsin October this year. I was very excited and happy to be able to represent Australia in the World Championships. To my great disappointment, I was not allowed by Etihad to take my fencing equipment with me on the flight to Abu Dhabi. The reason given was that I had not applied for pro-approval to take my fencing equipment, 3 foils and 3 épées, into the UAE. I had no known that this was required and none of the Australian fencers I know have had any issue with traveling through UAE with their fencing equipment. Nor were they required to apply for pre-approval for their fencing equipment equipment. They were usually classified as sporting equipment. None of the Australian fencers that competed at the World Championships had this issue and at least 3 of them flew with Etihad. In fact, one of my team mates flew out with Etihad on a flight after me later the same day and had no issue. I ended up having to buy new equipment in order to compete in the Championships. This was an expense that I had not budgeted for and I had to compete with unfamiliar equipment.
I have no problem with the policy requiring application for pre-approval for the fencing equipment. However, this policy need to be published clearly and most importantly applied consistently. I find it a bit hard to accept that my other team mates who flew with Etihad were allowed to fly with their fencing equipment and I was the only one not allowed to fly with mine.
To be fair the manager at the airport was apologetic about the whole affair and he even admitted that the policy was not well publicised on the Etihad web site. He even went over to the Emirates counter to ask if they will let me fly with my fencing equipment. They will but I will have to get my travel agent, Flight Centre, to book a seat for me. Flight Centre was not going to do that. They were not going incur any additional cost on my behalf and I was not going to pay for another ticket. It was a pity that the Etihad manager was not flexible enough to allowed me to fly with my fencing equipment classified as sporting equipment and as such will not need pre-approval.

I have written to Etihad but all reply I get is that it was the policy and it was applied correctly at the time. I feel that I have been discriminated against in this instance. Policies should be applied equally and consistently to everyone. I will never fly with Etihad again. If I have to pay more I will but I definitely will NOT fly with Etihad again.

Date of travel: October 2018

Hi spagyhon,

I completely understand that this situation was not ideal, and I am sorry to hear that you had to purchase new fencing equipment for the Championship.
After checking our manuals, I could see that the fencing equipment would fall under the category of sporting weapon, which do need prior approval before travel.

In the future, if you need any assistance, you can contact us on one of our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter), and we will be happy to help. *Sky

Reviewed 15 December 2018

I booked my flight with Expedia with seat reservation. Now I am told that there is no seat reservation and I have to pay extra to reserve seats for my family. There appears to be gross miscommunication between Expedia and Etihad. This is unacceptable.

Date of travel: December 2018
EtihadAirways, Manager at Etihad Airways, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2018

Hello Maj,thank you for your review.
We appreciate you took your time.

Indeed, we changed our policy and seats are chargeable since July 2018.
24 hours before departure seats can be chosen free of charge. *Isi

Reviewed 15 December 2018

We flew from Zurich to Kathmandu via Abu Dhabi. All flights were on time, the crew members very friendly and helpful and the food was very good. This was definitively not our last trip with Etihad.

Date of travel: October 2018
    • Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding

Hello Mark, thank you for your big compliments and your full star rating. We appreciate you took your time writing about your experience with us. Thank you so much. See you again. *Isi