“Mixed bag”
Review of Hawaiian Airlines

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Have flown in the past with impeccable service. This time around it was just okay. Economy seats are above other airlines with more room which great. Service is ok. Meals are very average, movie selection is okay. Happy to try HA one more time hoping this latest experience was a one off.

• Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (4,977)

Reviewed 20 October 2017

We flew Brisbane to Honolulu and New York return in September 2017. The airline had very good service and staff were uniformly helpful and good to deal with. We paid for the extra legroom seats. Other reviews said the seats were uncomfortable and the base was hard for a 9 or 10 hour flight. We took cushions which I thought was a dumb idea but then I was grateful my wife insisted. Food and service were ok and 4 landings were all stable and gentle. Worth the extra for comfort seats for the legroom. It was supposed to be priority seating but this was poorly organised and often didn't happen. Honolulu airport is very poorly organised and signed and our transfer in Honolulu was very poorly arranged by the airline. We were given no advice about where to go, got lost outside the terminal and took all of the 4 hour gap between flights to negotiate the change from the international arrival hall to the domestic departure lounge for the leg to New York.

1  Thank j0hnw61
Reviewed 20 October 2017

It is rare in 2017 for a 6 hour flight to not offer basic amenities included in the price - snacks, bottled water, in flight entertainment, and a meal. For our flight, you had to pay for all of these things, including $17 for a tablet to watch movies. Mine failed to work so when I asked for a new one I was told they were out, and they failed to compensate me for this. I am a vegetarian/pescatarian and pregnant so I asked at check in what the meal situation was. I was informed they only offer one chicken dish complimentary but I could buy a vegetarian meal. In flight I asked for the menu and was rudely told they only offer the one chicken dish but I should be appreciative as it is free. This reply was very inhospitable, as were their interactions with me and others during the flight. A nice lady even felt so badly for me as I was clearly nauseous that she offered me her PB&J! While waiting for the bathroom, 3 attendants were speaking negatively about another guest calling him creepy and they did not seem to mind that I was standing next to the hearing their unprofessional comments. The seats were cramped and dirty. The plane was either super hot or freezing. It just lacked the comforts of most flights I have taken in 2017. Very poor service, amenities and overall value.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
6  Thank SKB1912
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Shocking. This was not the airline we've flown before. The issue lies completely with the flight attendants. Although civil, they obviously only tolerated us. They were almost never seen and provided the absolute dead minimum of required service. The beverage cart was seen exactly once, before the ridiculous lunch was served. No water offered again. No soft drinks offered. Snacks were offered for SALE about five minutes before the thing they called lunch.

Now, we did purchase extra cost premium coach seats. What's included? More legroom. PERIOD? Luggage was still a $25 PSE bag extra. Food drill stunk. The in flight entertainment was on tiny screens, and failed shortly after takeoff.

Next time I'll fly another airline. ANY other airline.

3  Thank Arthur B
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Hawaiian airlines is competent at providing short interisland flights in Hawaii. They appear to be more than a low cost airline but not at the level of some other airlines around the world in providing a full service customer experience, eg Qantas, Emirates etc.

The check in process was a little confusing in Honolulu with no clear signage. My wife and I found a helpful Hawaiian airlines staff member who assisted us through the process. The Hawaiian flight lounge was basic compared to the other airlines we fly more regularly but was clean and tidy. The flight itself was on time and the staff were friendly. Kona airport also was not well sign posted with no staff around to clearly identify were to collect checked bags. Generally though Hawaiian airlines will get you around as planned and there are not many other options for interisland travel.