“Overall OK”
Review of Kenya Airways

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

At the moment of the online checkin, I got "standby" instead of a seat number. However, when we arrived at the airport, they manage to allocate us two seats... not next to each other but at least we had two seats.

We had a small trouble just before the take off... because of the guy in charge of refueling the plane who forgot to detach a piece from the wing of the wing when he finished to do his work. However, the company and the employees at the airport manage to repare the dammage in less than one hour.

Concerning the flight itself, nothing special to report. Everything was fine, personnel was friendly, food was ok.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,923)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My flight has been delayed for over 12 hours which caused me to arrive in Entebbe night time instead of day time. This makes me extremely concerned about my own safety traveling night time as I am a solo traveler. I had reached out to local office in Bangkok, Thailand to change my flight to the next day as well as compensation since I had to cancel transportation, hotel and tours that I have paid over 500USD. But they ignored and asked me to contact guestsupport department by myself. This make me feel very disappointed traveling with Kenya Airways for the first time.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Should've know when it took staff almost an hour to check us in at JFK (we had booked months in advance, did not have any extra luggage and no passport problems). Our flight was from NYC to Nairobi then an a connecting flight to Tanzania. So to make a dreadful long story a little shorter:

In NYC a one hour check-in. Were assured we were checked in on our connecting flight.
Interesting note-everything seems to be done via cell phone, a conspicuous lack of booking/checking done via computer.

Got to Nairobi where we were told our ongoing flight had been cancelled. They offered to put three of the four of us on a wait list and suggested our school aged daughter stay overnight in Nairobi! When asked if one of the parents could "swap out" and stay -told "no, it's in the computer" (again very odd non-use of technology)

After several hours, we were re-reouted to Dar es Salaam then to Kilimanjaro airport-for a two hour ride to our hotel. Oh and our luggage did not make it along this complicated flight path. All in about a day and a half wasted (we were meeting a safari company in Tanzania)

At each step of this journey we were told everything was "sorted out" our luggage would "definitely" arrive with us etc., etc., etc.

Horrible as in non-existent customer service-the whole thing a nightmare.

1  Thank c l
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I set out in JFK to find my gate. Checking the kiosks along my route to the air trains for gate and other information, I encountered the following messages in this order.....1) my flight was cancelled 2) no longer cancelled but an hour behind 3) on time 4) boarding. (An hour and a half early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was told by the gentlemen I was seated between.)
As you can tell, it was difficult to understand what to do, so I began to run through the massive airport in case boarding was the last change being made. Unfortunately, after running so fast, the first thing I discovered was that everyone has vacated their posts due to the newest update. (Offering no explanation to those of us who were arriving on time) The guard did let me through since I already had a boarding pass, but after negotiating security at break neck speed I still had to go to the very last gate in this section of the airport. When I arrived, almost an hour ahead of when boarding was supposed to begin, the attendants would not even look at me until I forced them to, and refused to open door though the plane was clearly sitting there. After I convinced them to open the door they told me everything was fine, and they had my luggage. When I arrived in Entebbe, my luggage had been lost. This was a direct flight from jfk to entebbe. This tells me they did not take care of my luggage as they said. I cannot fathom a universe in which it would be legal, right, good, helpful, honest, or ok, for lack of a better way to describe it, in which people arrive on time to discover their pilot decided to leave early. What in the world? Moreover those poor people had been sitting in the plane that whole time so what good was boarding early in the first place????? It was a very close call and a terrible experience. They were not apologetic, helpful until forced to be, or nice. Once I boarded the plane, somehow I lost my window seat and was placed in the middle isle in the middle seat between two large men. They treated me as if I had been the offending party. Then on the next KA flight, out of Nairobi , one of the attendants hit me HARD on my arm when I was resting and yelled at me to lift my shade?!?!?!?!?!?! In what world can attendants hit you and yell at you to lift your shade? Why must our shades be up in the first place as we fly along in the sky??????No explanation. Sadly, this is the only flight of its kind, so I’m stuck using a more challenging route. Honestly, it will be worth it to go through Europe or Turkey not to experience that sort of situation again. I’m hopeful that better staffed and trained attendants will come on board and that Kenya Airways will take heed all of their bad reviews to heart. They could truly be so much more with such little effort.

2  Thank HSBKU
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Someone called me out for being unpatrotic. I fly frequently but never on the national carrier. I had not flown Kenya Airways in a while, due its terrible service- ground and flight attendants. For some reason, KQ staff think they are doing you a big favour serving you. They are the most indifferent and unfriendfly airline staff. I could go on and on about the food and state of toilets etc. However for me the worst experience was having to drag my 3 suitcases across the parking lot in the rain from the international to domestic flight terminal and had to go through security check once again. I had made inquiries while booking the flight and I was assured that I would find my luggage at my final destination - Mombasa. I have flown this route on numerous occasions on other airlines and that was always the case. Kenya Airways does this differently and my attempts to complain were answered with the simple " that is the way it is... there is nothing we can do" final straw!

Date of travel: May 2018