“Avoid KLM, especially if travel includes a transit stop and airline change”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Flight was 3h30 late leaving AMS. Overhead lockers were over full. Meals were inedible. IFE was low IQ. No cabin service (even water) other than meal time. Arrived T1 gate with only 1h15 spare to 2nd airline connection. Met by airport (not KLM) staff who were clueless on how to make rapid connection (bags, check in etc) for T2 flight. Bags took forever. Ran to T2. Got to check in with 30 mins till ETD. Closed. So, 24 hours in nearby airport on KLM. Bus every hour. Room walls full of cracks. Meal vouchers limited to specific inedible food. Can't wait for tonight's flight on an Air NZ 787-9.

So yes, I'm a bit cranky about it as I'll get home 30 hours late. KLM showed no interest in helping the 10 of us (all travelling independently of each other).

Lesson: When doing a double header, make sure the airline reservation system you booked with is clear on how the interface between carriers works, e.g. can you check bags all the way through. I had assumed when I booked on the Air NZ system Air NZ would not offer an onward connection without full integration and there was no health warning on this. I would have made my flight had I not had to clear immigration and customs in PVG, got my bags and checked in again. My fail.

1  Thank Ganda_Jens
Write a ReviewReviews (18,704)

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Had the full journey from Canada to South Africa with KLM. Everything was on time and ran well, food was okay as with most airlines but the staff were excellent.

1  Thank David T
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Good Flight for a couple of hours. No difference to any other short haul flight. It depart and arrived on time

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Off to a bad start, KLM mixed up our seating so that my wife and would not be seated together. Took almost 35 min for the cabin crew to fix this. They forgot to serve the take off drink to our side of the cabin and instead of serving the main course of food seat by seat the cabin crew those to serve one side of the cabin and then run back to serve the other side, normaly they should serve row by row. Passenger next to us had a brooken seat which meant that i couldn't go down 180 degree as a flatbed. No wi-fi onboard and poor quality of sound and picture for entertainment sreen. First course of food was excellent, main course looked terribel and was served messed up on the tray.KLM signature cocktail scored big, excellent taste. Cabin crew took very long time, re-acting on service call. All in all, not worth the price compaired to other airliners.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Honestly we were stop at the gate due to a transit visa issue (visa needed to transfer between two terminals in LHR which was not know to us and airline as excluded under their general terms didn't gave any clue of this).

So we didn't fly in this flight and change the route to different airline to return to Sri Lanka. We were suppose to fly in this flight as a part of code sharing of Sri Lankan airline. But I wish to appreciate level of care that KLM had while we were in a helpless situation. This is while airline who issued the ticket to us (Sri Lankan airline) taking minimum care to help us to solve the issue. only thing that Sri Lankan airline did is giving us one alternative route (after taking very long time over the phone) which end up us us paying 60% or our original return ticket price as additional cost and kept us 18 hours at transit in Abu Dhabi.

However KLM staff allow us to take time, respond us whenever we talk to them and to finish the hazzel one staff member walk with us to Etihad counter at Amsterdam-Schiphol Airport to make sure that we get required help to transfer bags to Etihad system.

I really appreciate this help given the situation we were in. KLM never left us behind. When walking away from us she (this KLM staff member) did a nice appeal by saying -"next time fly with us, we too operate in this route". Actually we should have done that!

1  Thank RanjanaPerera