“Abysmal baggage handling and appalling customer service!”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 21 November 2017

In the past two weeks I have flown from Turkey to Newcastle via Schipol Amsterdam for business trips. The flights were on time and the airport and flight staff absolutely fine but baggage handling and telephone customer service leaves much to be desired! The first flight resulted in a "mishandled bag" which didn't arrive at Newcastle airport with me. I filed the property irregularities report and contacted KLM customer service when I arrived home to enquire whereabouts my bag was. They were unable to provide me with the information and subsequently when I might receive it. As I was flying back to Turkey three days later I had to purchase new luggage as no one at KLM seemed to know or care about the whereabouts of my bag. It was eventually returned to Newcastle and I arranged to collect it on my return from Newcastle Airport on my return from Turkey.When I collected it I was very disappointed to find it was irreparably damaged! I filed the relevant paperwork at Newcastle Airport and was advised KLM would contact me regarding compensation. They didn't. When I contacted them they apparently had no record of my damaged bag despite me giving them the reference number and flight details and by now the seven days in which I could have claimed had passed!. On to my second flight and again I flew to Newcastle via Schipol. Again my bag did not arrive with me! A further property irregularities report and this time a courier would be arranged to deliver my bag to my home once it was located. Trying to contact the courier company Citybags was pointless as they have no contact phone number and don't respond to emails! I made three further fruitless calls to KLM to enquire about my bag but no one could ascertain it's whereabouts! This really is both astonishing and worrying particularly when airline security is so stringent. KLM seem unconcerned by the fact that they lose luggage on a regular basis and have seemingly no clue where it is!
My bag eventually arrived 36 hours later.
It seems to me that baggage handling in Schipol is of a low standard and telephone customer service is abysmal too. I will certainly think twice before flying KLM again.

1  Thank AS42
Write a ReviewReviews (21,186)

Reviewed 21 November 2017

We have done quite a lot of trips with KLM, flying from Newcastle and then on to China and USA. Every trip has been impeccable - outstanding staff, excellent catering. Highly recommend flying with this airline. Tip - look on their own website where you can get some great offers.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 20 November 2017

Friday afternoon flight that is popular. Boarded quickly and arrive ontime with no issues

Snack and drinks served by friendly staff

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Great service and very efficient. Had a 40 minute connection so great that flight landed slightly early

Snack and drink served on board. Plenty of space with lots of empty seats

Reviewed 20 November 2017

Flight was delayed 40 minutes due to an issue with refuelling at Schipol. Flight arrived about 20 minutes late

Overall ok. Sandwich which was poor served with a drink