“Outstanding customer service in bad weather”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 13 December 2017

I am so impressed with KLM's extremely high levels of customer service.

On my outbound trip from Leeds to Madrid (via Amsterdam), fog in Amsterdam meant that my first flight was delayed to the degree where I would miss my connection in Amsterdam. Without any prompt from me, KLM sent me an email with a boarding pass for the following flight from Amsterdam to Madrid, so that I would still arrive the same day. As it happens, my second flight was also delayed due to the fog, so it hadn't left Amsterdam by the time I arrived there. Consequently, I was able to catch my original flight, with just a short turnaround time in Amsterdam. Given that, at one point that day, I had had boarding passes for two different flights, and given the fact that many flights in and out of Amsterdam suffered delays that day, I did not expect for one minute that my luggage would be on the same flight as me to Madrid, but it was! That really was an unexpected bonus.

On the return trip, my flights were once again affected by the weather - this time, snow. As heavy snow was expected in Amsterdam, KLM emailed me the day before to inform me that my flight had been cancelled and that they would make other arrangements for me, once the weather situation became clearer. Flight cancellations are always inconvenient but this one was unavoidable and it was very helpful to receive an email the day before, rather than turning up at the airport to find out about the cancellation. The email gave me several ways to contact KLM customer services, including phone, Facebook and Twitter. I sent a Facebook message and received a personalised response within a couple of hours. Amazing given the huge volume of flight cancellations that KLM will have been suffering that day. By the end of the day when I should have flown, KLM had emailed me a booking to Leeds for the following day, with another airline completely - Aer Lingus - via Dublin. So despite all the weather disruption in Amsterdam and the UK with thousands of passengers across many airlines being stranded, I was astounded to find myself back home, just one day later than planned. As the same booking reference was used for the Aer Lingus flight as for my original KLM flight, I was able to check in online in advance on Aer Lingus's website, even though this had not been the original airline of my booking.

I was also hugely impressed that KLM customer services sent me another unprompted Facebook message the day after my original flight should have been, offering to help me further if the rebooking had not worked out for me.

The Aer Lingus flights were very good, but they really made me appreciate KLM all the more. On the outbound journey with KLM I had received complimentary tea/coffee/juice, plus a pasta dish lunch on the Amsterdam-Madrid flight, yet on Aer Lingus all drinks and food had to be paid for and the only food on board was basic snacks and sandwiches.

KLM far exceeded my expectations with their customer service and excellent communication with passengers in this unavoidable situation (fog/snow). I am grateful to have made it home as soon as the snow cleared, just one day late, when many other passengers with other airlines across northern Europe were stranded for much longer. It's when things go wrong that you can really appreciate high quality service. Highly recommended.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (20,646)

Reviewed 13 December 2017

The fare was EUR 257.97 and the terms and conditions are all against the passenger. I was at the airport well in time and I got my boarding pass from the machine but it did not have the seat number (some odd code was printed). I arrived at the gate, well in time and asked the person at the counter about my seat number. She did not explain properly except saying that I have to wait. When the boarding started, I asked again and again I was asked to wait. It turned out the airline has overbooked and I had to shout just to get my chance. The moral is that you need to fight for your right.

1  Thank chami_12
Reviewed 13 December 2017

This was the first leg of a much longer journey to Brazil. I had foreseen that the December weather might be a problem so I had arranged a 24 layover in Amsterdam which was just as well because Schipol was very badly disrupted by snow and there were a great many cancellations. I was booked on the 14.05 for which I checked in online and collected my boarding pass at the airport. I was relaxing in the Skyteam Lounge- very pleasant- when I checked my boarding pass on a whim and was surprised to see that I was actually booked on a much earlier flight, a change I had not been made aware. I managed to make the flight with time to spare as we were held at the gate for a further hour.
When I boarded I was told that my carry on luggage would have to go in to the hold as all the overhead bins were full. Disappointing in business class but not a major problem. I did notice however that the forward business class bins were indeed full with the luggage of the cabin crew! If the cabin crew must use valuable bin space they could at least use the bins further back as the front business class seats do not offer any under seat stowage as elsewhere in the plane.
The Captain was very good in keeping passengers informed about the delays caused by the bad weather in Amsterdam. The cabin was bright and clean and the service very professional and I enjoyed a smooth flight. We landed on the northern runway which meant a very long taxi to the terminal which took 20 minutes.

1  Thank richardcjarman
Reviewed 13 December 2017

A severely disabled and vulnerable passenger was literally abandoned by this airline during recent weather disruption. We all understand that bad weather can play havoc with airline schedules but to deliberately target the disabled, who have no one to speak for them at such times is criminal, to say the least. The lies which were told by KLM staff about accommodation availability were beyond belief. All to save a few euros by a disgusting company

2  Thank bob h
Reviewed 13 December 2017

The airplane is clean, the restrooms/toilets are clean. Not so much space to move about/around while sitting. Web check-in was ok.but was not able to view the seating arrangement, therefore NOT able to change to the desired seat. Tried to have the seat changed upon check-in but was denied, the ground crew didn't even offer to find a better alternative. In-flight food was average. Flight crew are attentive