“Beware of Incompetent Lead Gate Attendants at Schipol KLM”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I and my wife on a business trip to Eger, Hungary flew through Amsterdam Schiphol and unfortunately were booked on a flight run by KLM. Because of my frequent flyer status as Elite Plus we had early boarding, and I made the mistake of preceding my wife through the gate, but when I noticed she was not behind me on the jet bridge I returned, to find that the lead gate agent had decided my wife could not bring her roll-aboard because her boarding pass did not list her as Sky Priority. She forced my wife to gate check her roll-a-board for incompetently guessing our flight could not accommodate all of the carry on luggage. Of course, the main reason from my perspective of having preferred early boarding is to be exempted from such situations.

We had a very short connection in Vienna to get to a prepaid bus to Budapest, and of course we were worried, since one of our bags was put in our plane's hold. When the gate agent came on board at the conclusion of boarding, she refused to even discuss the matter with me, exclaiming she did not have time to discuss such issues.There was sufficient room immediately above out seats to place two more full-size roll-a-boards, and space for another immediately opposite us on the port side. In this sense, BEING WRONG, this lead gate agent was incorrect, I mean INCOMPETENT, and insultingly anti-customer, by refusing to even discuss our problem with me.

KLM's incompetience, unfortunately, did not stop here in this fight. Four paraplegics arrived very early prior to boarding, but KLM lacked facilities and competence to preboard them in a convenient and kind manner. At our small airport in Rochester, New York, we have narrow wheel chairs designed to traverse narrow airplane aisles holding paraplegics. Apparently KLM in Schipol lacks such equipment and knowledge. After boarding finished, we waited an extra hour as KLM devised a way to board these four paraplegics through a read door using a lift truck of a type normally used for catering. THEN, after boarding these poor folks, we had to wait a second hour as KLM figured out how to load each of these passenger's electric wheelchairs. Perhaps KLM ground crews could be sent to the US for ground crew training and how to accommodate paraplegics.
WE periodically got whimpy and insulting updates from the captain, addressing the cabin in person, and clearly making everyone aware that our problems were due to the four paraplegics now sitting among us I am glad I was not one of them, because they arrived early enough to have been easily boarded well ahead of departure time.

Of course when we got to Vienna, we had to wait another hour for our luggage (one of our roll-a-boards) to reach the carousel, because the wheel chairs were loaded in a way that blocked unloading all of the luggage. We finally retrieved my wife's roll-a-board, threw our Euro36 (for two) bus tickets away, and hired an Uber to take us to Eger for Euro400! A really nice experience - thanks to KLM!

I have had decades of unpleasant and surly and sour KLM attendant interactions - at Schiphol. I am not referring to flight attendants. I am going to try much harder to avoid flying with KLM!

1  Thank JohnTTT
Write a ReviewReviews (18,703)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very comfortable, excellent customer service and for a short trip you were given snacks and drinks. Checked in day before and printed our boarding passes, so it made everything so easy. Would definitely recommend and will definitely being using this airline again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I routinely choose KLM to travel to see family in Scotland. Always excellent customer service with staff who seem to genuinely care about customer care! Recently flew home for a funeral and I had to change flights due to funeral delay. Assisted by partner Delta staff in making changes to original booking for 4 people. It couldn't have been smoother with staff super supportive! I have also never had issues with baggage even when time in-between flights in Amsterdam is short. Most definitely would recommend for timely, well organized and personal service.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our international flight was great for traveling 16 hours. From the time we left San Francisco until our final destination of Athens, Greece we were well taken care of. Even in economy class we had plenty of leg room and the seats were comfortable. They kept us well fed and well hydrated with water. The meals were not your typical sandwich, they were a full meal and very tasty. The flight attendants were friendly and courteous at all times. There was a large selection of current movies, TV shows and music to choose from. Overall, a delightful flight!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Excellent airline to fly with for long distance trips. Comfortable seats and good service at the gate and onboard.