“WORST AIRLINE EXPERIENCE EVER”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed 13 April 2024

I've just come back from my trip, KLM has been the absolute worst experience I've ever had flying with any airline. From the beginning Glasgow Airport with KLM flying to Denpasar (Bali) check in opened late 2 hours before instead of the usual 4 hours on long haul flights, when asked what was the reason behind this was KLM said that the flight was going to Amsterdam and not Denpasar. No other airline has ever done this to me and other customers who are in long haul trips and I've lost out on lounge access that I've paid for as a result. I've also asked for an upgrade to business class and the desk staff said yes, as I was about to pay the staff at the desk told me that they will take the payment and sort the details out in Amsterdam, when I got to Schipol nobody knew what was going on and I basically wasted even more time and not for the first time with KLM, misadviced. On all flights to and from Denpasar I've experienced some of the most unprofessional service I've seen from cabin crew, from being constantly ignored to loud and boisterous personal conversations echoing throughout the cabin, it's all there.

And to top it all off KLM have now lost my luggage and no one knows where it is. I'm at a loss for words at just how bad standards are for KLM. Even if somebody tried to make the whole experience bad on purpose, they could not possibly make it so, the service is just that bad. Even the phone support is so bad that the agents are not equipped to deal with customer queries and I'm just being redirected to the website. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

1  Thank Miguel L

Reviewed 11 April 2024

Never seen the worse airline. First time I decided to fly by KLM and it was the last time. I was supposed to fly from Istanbul to Belgrade today, but I was not allowed on the gate of the plane. They(KLM stuff at the airport )said that it is impossible for your citizens to transit through Amsterdam. Although I checked with the Dutch embassy that I can. All what they said in live chat "sorry" and template texts that write me repeatedly and after end up conversation. They didn't care about customers

Reviewed 11 April 2024

Greedy charges. Thought I had checked three bags but only two I could have added an extra one on my booking for £19.30 but rather than inconvenience those behind our party I paid at the desk £47.15 one way for Blue Member.Rip Off! Thought we were going to be using this route regularly but they have lost our business.

Reviewed 10 April 2024

Big problem for baggages. They did not allow to take it in the cabin of plane, even small baggage (accordingly the law). They told us that the plane was full. Big lies because after little time we saw empty spacies over our heads and the personnel was enough impolite. Never more trips with KLM.

Date of travel: March 2024
Reviewed 10 April 2024

This was the reply from KLM customer service, 10 weeks after a delayed flight from Norwich UK. "I am sorry that your flight KL 1516 from Norwich to Amsterdam on 19 January 2024 was delayed due to late arrival of incoming aircraft weather reasons and unfortunately, the delay of your first flight caused you to miss your connecting flight". My first issue is that the connecting flight was also a KLM flight to Dublin and was offered as a viable connection with flight KL1516 from Norwich. The delay was not "extraordinary", as they claim ....."This situation is regarded as an extraordinary circumstance and therefore the compensation set by the EC Regulation 261/2004 does not apply." A connecting flight was arranged for later the same afternoon. I had booked Aircoach tickets to align with the original flight but had to cancel and rebook at a much later time. My original booked flight from Norwich was scheduled for 0915 and I should have reached my destination at 1300. I actually got there at 2145. To date the response from KLM has been "Also, we have complied with our obligations to limit as much as possible the inconvenience caused by this circumstance; therefore, I cannot respond favourably to your request."
I have asked them to explain why I received a message at Amsterdam Airport to download vouchers for £24. I assumed these were a kind of subsistence allowance for food and drinks. I tried to download them but they were not available due to "technical issues".
I have asked them to explain why they have not refunded approximately £20 I paid to select seats on the original connecting flight. My seats on the later flight were assigned randomly.
I have asked them to explain why they require receipts for food and drink items, approx. £17, when it looked as if they should have issued "vouchers" .
Finally, their latest email refers to my claim for hotel and taxi expenses. I think the wrong standard letter has been sent. My claim just referred to the cost of a substandard meal at Dublin Airport and a couple of coffees at Amsterdam.
I honestly believed that KLM was a good airline. Not any more ! It is really disappointing that the Royal Dutch Airline cannot refund approximately £70 for genuine expenses and being unwilling to refund payment for a service they did not in fact provide.

Date of travel: January 2024
1  Thank Paul M
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.