“Had a good experience contrary to expectations”
Review of Primera Air

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was in two minds about booking with Primera due to the generally negative feedback. Went ahead anyway as the price was so good (£290 per return flight Birmingham to New York).
Overall had a good experience - check in Birmingham was great and I believe as we had my elderly mother us we were assigned seats near to the main exit on the plane which was great for boarding and getting off. Flights were more or less on time both ways (although security at Newark took forever...) Check in at Newark on the return not quite such good service with a bit of an aggressive undertone from the woman at the check in desk that seems prevalent at that airport. (Apparently staff at the check in desks are not actually Primera employees but are contracted by the airline.)
Plane was clean and was happy for it to be no frills (e.g.didn't take the meal option (extra cost) but took on some nice food from Waitrose before the flight), to and pay for the odd cup of tea, for the good ticket price. Service was fine.
I also contacted Primera by email about taking an instrument on the plane and got a polite, friendly and timely response to my queries. Ended up posting it as it was a fair bit cheaper, but the option was there online in my booking to add it as 'sports equipment'. Maybe Primera should add a musical instrument option to avoid confusion and people having to ask about instruments.
Overall a good experience and a very competitive ticket price.

5  Thank tompparker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Buyer beware if you're going to book this airline. They do not offer online check in. We arrived at EWR 2.5 hours before our flight. It took 90 minutes to check in and drop off our bags. Their location at EWR was overflowing and people were trying to cut in line and there are no employees there to help manage the crowd. Of course this is all BEFORE security, which thankfully was very fast that evening.

The plane was not a Primera Air plan. It was a Portugese company called Euro-American (or something like that). To say that the seats are small is an understatement. I am not tall by any sense. I am 5'6" and found the seats small. I could not put my small backpack under the seat and put my feet under the seat. Since I wanted room for my feet, I had to put my bag in the overhead bin. By comparison, I flew to London last summer on United and had ample room for my feet and bag and the seats were bigger.

The flight attendants were nowhere to be found to tell us how to recline the seats. It's not the typical button on the arm rest to recline the seats. There is a lever between the seats. The seats are not very comfortable. I would up sitting on my neck pillow because of so little padding in the seat.

Bottom line, think really hard about flying with Primera. I have flow Icelandic Air and liked it. Next time I will be willing to pay more for a better experience. 90 minutes to check in is ridiculous.

• Food and Beverage
2  Thank Joe A
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I would be lying if I said that the reviews of this airline did not have me severely worried about my flights. But credit where credit is due, they were very good and deserve a good view for my experience.

Me and my girlfriend paid just over £400 for return flights from Stansted/ Boston. Check in at both ends opened exactly 3 hours before take off, both flights left on time, friendly staff and a clean modern Airbus 321 plane with more than enough leg room. I am 6 foot tall, but paying for the extra leg room made all the difference. USB ports were also a benefit, especially as my iPad was in use throughout, and the experience was very very relaxed.

If I wanted to be picky, I would say that the check in involved a lot of unnecessary questions being asked which seemed to vary completely on the person you saw.

From my experience, Primera need the fleet of additional 321s they have ordered to be at their disposal as soon as possible. This is clearly a small sized airline that has a bumpy start and that has not been helped by having to lease aircraft to fulfill orders. I can only go by my experience and sympathise to those who have not had it so good. For those who have booked with Primera Air and are reading these reviews with some trepidation, be assured that the Stansted to Boston flights were handled excellently.

My best piece of advice though. This is a no frills airline. That means no TVs and no free food. It is strongly recommended that you download plenty of movies/ TV shows, charge up all of your portable entertainment systems so you have plenty to keep you occupied and entertained during your flight. Repeat, there is NO IN FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT, SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENTERTAINMENT WITH YOU. Secondly, food is provided but it is fairly pricey. Meals can cost up to £30. We stocked up on snacks and drink via airport shops and got dinner at the airport before boarding, which will have filled us up much more and all for a similar/ slightly lower price than buying one meal on the plane. Do your homework to maximize the enjoyment of your flight.

5  Thank Koffing1988
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I needed to fly back to Spain with a few days notice , and found myself facing the normal high prices with my usual Airlines. I remembered hearing about Primera air so I gave it a shot. Excellent price compared to its competitors. Then after booking I looked up the reviews and was disturbed to read of cancelled flights etc. I turned up to the airport to check in expecting to be told the flight had been cancelled, but no all was good. The crew were great, the flight very comfortable and on time. In fact the whole thing was a very pleasant experience. Great value for money and I will certainly use them again. My only query was that after paying for priority boarding,there was no call for priority to board first and as we went on a bus to the plane it seemed to be whoever got to the steps first . A bit of fine tuning may be required.

2  Thank belindataylor
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

By now I'm preaching to the choir, but I felt it my duty to warn people of the complications resulting from this budget airline. I even read a bunch of these reviews myself before taking off but after I bought tickets and swatted my forehead in regret. This immediate sense of foreboding was confirmed when my return flight was cancelled as they hadn't bought enough planes. Yikes. I took the risk and said I'll pay for another airline back if I must.

Then: no online check-in meant my comfy cushion of four hours between arriving at the airport and take-off was used up completely by waiting with two hundred others while we shuffled slowly to the check-in counter. Primera was subcontracting out the planes (National -- no entertainment options or even complimentary water except if you have a generous, law-defying stewardess as I did), and it seemed like the people along the check-in counters weren't affiliated with them either. It was chaos come thirty minutes before three Primera flights were scheduled to depart and none had half of their passengers accounted for. Okay, okay, they herded us through, planes won't leave without us on them anyway, yadda, yadda, once on the plane, nothing to complain about (mainly 'cause I fell asleep).

[England was marvelous, goes without saying.]

They did rebook my return flight, out of an airport (Gatwick) hours away by train from where I would've flown out of (Birmingham). The flight was paid for, the train ticket as of this moment remains on my bill, but I heard other passengers mentioning success with their compensations. I haven't tried phoning them, as my emails with Dana of their "Irregularity Team" have been responded to so far, besides the one containing the invoice for the cost of the train ticket.

Check-in at Gatwick was surprisingly fast. I arrived only two hours before my flight, but in ten minutes I had my boarding pass. Maybe that airport was better? No other necessary things to discuss, except overhearing other passengers' similar treatment.

In sum: it's cheap and, like plastic pacifiers from China, a risk. Maybe the $300 actually entitles us all to round-trip tickets to Europe and to hours of stressful mismanagement. Or perhaps the latter was really a discount -- I don't know; just make sure where you travel to is as ameliorating for you as England was for me.

2  Thank gregorylamontagne1