“istanbul to Auckland”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Istanbul to Doha flight was quite good most of the seats were empty as it was winter in comparison to Doha Auckland Flight which was nearly full . Doha Auckland flight is the second longest in the world at the moment and plan is 777-200ER seats are quite small and uncomfortable in economy , i will not fly on this plane in future as Emirates has a better option with A380 from auckland

Date of travel: December 2018
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (21,634)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have flown with Qatar 5 times now. Can't fault them at all. Service is very good, the air hosts are very polite and friendly. Will definitely consider them again to fly with.

1  Thank Andrea34321
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Qatar runs a good operation both in airport and on ground. Seems like they had a large number of personnel on planes and all were gracious. I secured a seat with none in front of me at no extra charge (Row 31 K) which was terrific on 12+ hour flights. Food was also pretty good. They're not the cheapest on this route.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We flew from London to Krabi via Doha. The first leg was ok on the larger Airbus A3800 especially as the flight wasn't that full but the second leg was on a much smaller plane similar to an Easyjet which was jam packed and extremely uncomfortable for a 6 hour flight and we arrived with back pain so not a great start.

We returned from Koh Samui to London via Bangkok and Doha. Hold baggage checked in at Koh Samui and check in agent was very thorough showing us each transit ticket on the bag and corresponding boarding cards, so we knew it was all properly recorded.

Problems started when we were a little delayed leaving Bangkok to Doha. En route I noted the scheduled arrival time at Doha on the display screen was 1230am and our next flight departed at 1.30am. I raised it with a stewardess and said I was worried we wouldn't make it but she assured me the flight would arrive at 1220am and there would be ground staff to direct us. It didn't and there wasn't! We arrived in Doha at 1240am but didn't get off the aircraft until nearer 1am and there was one person on the ground just pointing the way to transfers and that was it. We had to get from gate E2 to A3 which in normal speak is about a mile walk. There was no priority system getting off the plane for those with urgent connections and we literally had to run the last part, with minutes to spare, not great in the middle of the night with little sleep and over 50!
Of course you can guess whats coming next, our bags didn't make it onto the plane (along with others) they couldnt hold it then??.. and we only found out at baggage reclaim in Heathrow and had to spend ages filling out forms from 2 slightly comical inept baggage queries staff and then chasing/tracking them down from home calling numbers and trying to get through, finding reference numbers to track etc, etc. Thankfully our car keys were in our hand luggage but our winter change of clothes wasn't so we froze with no warm clothes waiting for the bus. We eventually got our bags over 24 hours later having had to take time off work to be home when they were delivered.

There were other irritations like finding out when we boarded, seats unable to be pre-booked were actually empty.
A vegetarian meal pre ordered wasn't available. I'm not strictly vegetarian but I will not eat halal meat due to the cruel nature in which the animal is slaughtered, so had to go without.
The seats have poor cushioning and lumber support and gave us both severe backache.
The stewards only came around twice with the drinks trolley on both legs (8 and 7 hours respectively) and you had to go and ask for drinks 'behind the curtain' which felt like you were interrupting their chat and meals, not to mention climbing over sleeping passengers to get there.

I raised concerns onboard and spoke to their customer service, who advised to write so I have but I suspect I will get the same standard response as on the phone 'thank you for bringing things to our attention which helps us to improve'.

I see other reviewers on TA and other review sites have had problems with bags not being transferred so it sounds like this is a regular issue and its cheaper for the airline to send luggage later than spend money on ground efficiency improvements.
Due to all the negatives but in particular the baggage issue, we wont make the same mistake by flying with them again next year.

1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I took the Singapore to Doha flight as the first leg of my trip back home. The aircraft was a brand new A350-1000 that I guess the company had received couple of weeks before. I liked the design and the overall noice reduction level, yet my seat was too close to the engines, so I was still somewhat disturbed by the noise. The food was quite tasty, I appreciated the nasi limak for breakfast. The lunch was less fancy (beef Stroganoff), but still OK. Overall the service was great and I mean it: Just before boarding I realized I lost an important item while walking to the gate so I had to rely on the company staff for the formalities with the Lost & Found service at Changi (BTW, the item was, eventually, retrieved). They were extremely helpful and efficient before my boarding while once on board, I enjoyed special attention all along the flight. Then, a point I haven’t noticed on my previous flights worth mentioning: every time I used the WC, it was perfectly clean (or close to) and this is something I’m not used to with other carriers. Indeed, I paid attention to the number of times the flight attendants went to the WC to check (and clean). Not huge effort, yet it removes a good part of the long flights’ annoyance. All in all, a very pleasant flight.

On the negative side, the WiFi rates were again much less generous that the offer on the B777 between Doha and Montreal, which is surprising given the A350 are much more modern.

Date of travel: December 2018