“Avoid this airline!”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 29 February 2024

Qatar is a terrible airline! They will scam you out of money at every corner. Their customer service is a joke. They convinced me that I needed to pay $1500 to add my middle name to my flight, or they wouldn't allow me on the plane. When I got to the airport, they didn't even put my middle name on the ticket and I didn't have any issues. I also paid $2300 to upgrade our seats to business class from doha to Montreal. Not even an hour into the flight, the seat reclined on its own, pinching my leg. The seat wouldn't stay up the rest of the 13 hour flight.

Date of travel: February 2024
1  Thank Brian E

Reviewed 29 February 2024

It is a comfortable airline. The food is quite good, especially in comparism to other airlines and an extensive entertainment programm (films, games) let the time fly by. The service on bord was friendly.

Date of travel: March 2023

Departure Date: 21 January 2024
Flight Number: QR012
Departure Airport: London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 4
Destination Airport: Doha (DOH)
Cabin Class: QSuite (Business Class)
Seat Number: 3A

Watch the full video on YouTube at Love Flying And Hotels!

My journey started at LHR T4 in the amazing Qatar Airways Business Class lounge. This is probably the best business class lounge I have visited! It was not too busy and the lounge had a great offering from showers, drinks, a-la-carte dining as well as other dining options, wireless and wired charging for devices and, friendly and helpful staff! I don’t normally eat in the lounge too much but they seemed to have some good options and the staff were so welcoming that I couldn’t resist!

When it was time to board the aircraft, I arrived as the first passenger to board. Elina was at the door and helped me to my seat. She asked one of the crew to go through the seat features, safety and so on with me. Once seated, I received a cold towel, pyjamas and a welcome drink. I opted for their signature mint and lemon drink which was delicious.

As it was a night flight, the lights were dimmed for take-off and replaced with some beautiful mood-lighting! The aircraft has 2 external cameras giving you a better overall viewing experience.

The aircraft is WIFI enabled! Qatar Airways own loyalty programme is called The Privilege Club and just by joining this programme gives you 1 hour of free WIFI on-board! Alternatively, you can pre-purchase a pass for $8 prior to the flight or a pass on board for just $10! This is cheap!

There are 3 lavatories serving the 46 QSuites, so about 1 lavatory for every 15 QSuites. The lavatories are stocked with lotion, dental and shaving kits! They were always kept clean!

The IFE (Inflight Entertainment) screen measures in at 21.5 inches from its top left corner to its bottom right corner. The screen is crisp and clear as well as responsive! However, you can also pair your own device or use the hand held controller.

The safety video mentions that there are over 4,000 entertainment options available! Whilst I didn’t count them, I did notice that there were a decent number of movies and TV programmes to choose from. Disappointingly, there were no live streaming channels available but what I did like was that there were many episodes for each TV programme selected!

The headphones were comfortable and over-the-ear headphones. I prefer these as the buds always fall out! The quality was good and being noise-cancelling, they did a pretty good job in cancelling out the aircraft noise!

Qatar offers their Business and First Class passengers flexi-dining or as some call it, dine-on-demand. This means, you can choose the time you wish to eat! This is handy if you have just eaten a huge meal in the lounge! JK. But it is very useful as eating at certain times can help your body become used to the new daily meal pattern at your final destination (if there is a significant time difference) and this helps with limiting your jetlag!

The meal was excellent and I accompanies this with Laurent Perrier Rose Champagne! A premium champagne compared with their rival serving Moet or similar!

Qatar offers amenity boxes rather than amenity bags for flights flying into Doha. The box contains products by Distyque. The contents include, facial cream, body lotion, lip balm, fragrance, eye shades, ear plugs and socks!

On this flight they had also provided a protection kit containing hand sanitiser, gloves and face mask.

I found the bedding to be comfortable and I enjoyed a good rest.

The service overall was good but the cabin crew named Elina who originally greeted me on-board was also always checking up on me. Her attention to detail was immaculate and was so friendly and provided a superior level of service then most airline crew! As such, she helped lift the overall score for the overall service! I should add, I have always had excellent service on Qatar Airways business class flights!

If you haven’t tried QSuites, you really need to! You are really missing out! However, I must add, booking a QSuite over a standard business class seat will incur a small premium. The airline also reserves the right to change aircraft which may result in your seat being changed from a QSuite to a standard business class seat and the airline does not have to compensate you for this change. But what is positive is that Qatar are retro-fitting more of their aircrafts with QSuites and expanding the QSuite route.

YouTube: Love Flying and Hotels

Date of travel: January 2024
Reviewed 29 February 2024

Airline is good, but when it comes to refunds they act worse then a cheap airline. I informed them about a refund which has to be placed on a new credit card, as the old one expired. This was 5 months ago. Since then I have written multiple E-Mails to them, provided them with all the needed documents, asked several times on the phone and by E-Mail when I will receive my refund, but the only thing I got was thei call-center agents telling me that it will take some more time or they didn't reply at all, especially by E-Mail as I contactet their refund departement.

So I guess as long as you don't have to cancel your flight you are allright with them, but when it comes to a refund be aware of a timeconsuming and complicated process whicht is really annoying given the fact that this should be one of the best Airlines on the planet.

Date of travel: September 2023
1  Thank Raphael S
Reviewed 28 February 2024

Qatar’s Customer Service is non existent. Qatar Airways claims to provide 5 star service but what we received deserves NO stars.

I have sent 5 emails and have only received 2 automatic response emails after initiating our complaint 10 weeks ago. I have sent all of the relevant documentation to support our claim for a refund.

Our group of 3 booked adjoining Exit Row seats on the Upper Deck of an A380 from Doha to Perth after a connecting flight from Amman. We paid for our Exit Row seats on August 22 2023 and received email confirmation that day.

What was a shock to us given the supposedly excellent reputation of Qatar Airways is that when we were at Amman airport we got our tickets for the second leg, from Doha to Perth, we saw that we had been seats on the lower deck.

We said this was wrong and showed our August confirmation for seats 30 A, B and C on the upper deck. We were told by Qatar Airways staff in Amman that it could only be fixed up in Doha. We were also told that the reason was that the plane had been changed from an A380 (which was not correct) .

Our connecting flight from Amman to Doha was not only cancelled but deleted altogether meaning we had a 10.5 hour transit instead of the original 2.5 hours.

Then at the Boarding Gate in Amman we were informed that there were 2 Exit Row seats available in the Upper Deck and that these had been put on hold for us and to see the Qatar Ground staff in Doha.

We were in a queue for almost an hour at the Qatar Service Desk in Doha. I asked how the seats we had booked and paid extra for in August, and provided emails and a hard copy to verify this, were no longer available for us? We were told that it was a system error. There was no apology at all for the system error.

We were further disappointed to find out that the 2 Exit Row seats on the Upper Deck that we had been told by staff at the boarding Gate at Amman had been “reserved” were not actually retained for us and that only 1 Exit Row seat was available.

Understandably we were not happy that we did not receive the Exit Row seats that we had booked and paid for more than 3 months prior. Through no fault of our own we were victims of a Qatar Airways system error.

We did not complain to the flight attendants on the Doha to Perth flight as we understood that they had no control over the seat allocation. However, we politely asked the people in seats 30A and 30B, that we had paid for in August, when they had purchased their seats and were informed that they had done so about 2 weeks prior.

I consciously chose Exit Row seats on the Upper Deck because of the extra space and the cabin configuration of 2 by 4 by 2 seats and because my wife and I would be seated next to each other and the other member of our group would be in the next available Exit Row seat.
Instead of all being seated next to each other in Exit Row seats we were split up and certainly didn’t get what we paid for.

Plus all of the wasted time trying unsuccessfully in Amman and then at the Transit Desk in Doha to sort out the error created by Qatar Airways assigning our seats to someone else.

It is bad enough that we didn’t get 2 of the Exit Row seats that we had paid for that were allocated to other people who booked well after us. What is worse is that there has been absolutely no attempt by Qatar Airways to address our complaint let alone issue the refund to which we are entitled.

Our complaint isn’t complex. We have provided full documentation which shows what we booked, what we paid and the seats we were allocated as proof that Qatar Airways didn’t give us what we had paid for.

After 10 weeks of NO customer service whatsoever we are left to wonder whether we will ever get a response let alone the refund that we are entitled to.

Our 7 week trip included 14 flights on a variety of airlines and even “budget airlines” didn’t allocate our paid seating to someone else.

Date of travel: October 2023
3  Thank Wayne B
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.