“Do not book”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 11 April 2024

Booking ref RKYVMX
VICTOR CHITSAKA

DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM, Qatar airways is absolutely rubbish airline and charging passengers for schedule changes done by them. I had booked a flight to fly from london to harare on 27th Jan 2024 and return on 11th Feb 2024 through a travel agent.
I had taken the outbound flight however when i reached the airport on 11th feb 2024 i was shocked to know it was cancelled. I contacted qatar airways and they informed that they had changed it to 10th feb 2024 and a notification was sent on email. Which i never received.
I contacted the travel agent who advised even they had not received the email. I called qatar again and asked them to forward me the notification they sent regarding cancel and change of date and they did not have that. They advised me that they had informed the travel agent to which travel agent denied. Even i took travel agent on loop with them on email wherein travel agent mentioned the changes were done and accepted by qatar airways. I even asked qatar airways that you canceled the flight and changed it to 10th feb 2024 on 15th january so why didnt you inform me on 27th jan when i was taking my outbound flight? They had no answer to this. As per travel agent, they never cancel and change the date of travel without passenger's consent and travel agent even mentioned it on the email too.
Qatar had charged me £373.00 to get new flight. I am so disappointed as i have emailed them multiple times however they are not ready to refund my money.
I am writing this from my friends email as my email is not working

Date of travel: January 2024

Reviewed 10 April 2024

Horrible airlines where they are making money on available seats and no curtosy on traviling with Kids, this is not the airlines I new 10 years back and regret to be booking on Qatar vs Emirates which I miss. They talk like no care if you have burgendy privilage club. why even issue that when there is no benefit for it. Truly regret this airlines turned into a money making company than customer friendly. Customer server at 1-877-777-2827 is as bad as the airlines

Date of travel: April 2024
1  Thank Vamsi R

Reference: CAS-2790111-P3J2M5 CRM:0386000010951

After reaching out to Qatar for some acceptance of blame only to be told it was out of their control, I feel it only fair to share my experiences with the public.

My family and I (grandparents, wife and 20 month child) flew to Bali on the 23rd of February with Qatar Airways (QR004), and after much careful consideration surrounding seats we were sold on the upper deck extra legroom economy seats available on the A380. With this in mind and to better our chances we opted for flexi economy and selected extra legroom for each leg of our 17-21 hour airtime (some £400/person additional).

The problems started at London Heathrow when we were refused admission at checkin due to apparently not being allowed on the upper deck with infants under 2, even after months before choosing the seats with a bassinet on the upper deck together with our daughters passport information. Still, according to Qatar ground staff “it’s policy!” and we would be unable to fly unless we sat downstairs in equivalent seats?

WE CHOSE TO SUBMIT OBVIOUSLY…ironically on our return flight we did not face the same ‘computer says no crowd’.

Next issue, the flight was delayed several times (2+ hours total) at LHR due to a passenger emergency meaning our connecting flight left without us.

Arriving at Doha airport with less than 30 minutes until our departure, we were told that we would be put onto the next available flight (standard protocol) but what I didn’t know and what we were failed to be informed of upon receiving our 5+ hour delayed departure tickets was that my family and I were entitled to food and drink vouchers to help endure passing the time with a 20 month old; We received neither.

At half past some ungodly hour and 20 something hours into our travels our delayed flight departed DOH but without pre booked seats we are left with standard seats which for anyone who has had an infant on a long haul flight will know is a difficult task. 9.5 hours to be precise.
(Did I mention we paid extra for flexi economy/ extra legroom).

Not to loose my audience completely I would like to just quickly note that the holiday was a great success and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our time in Bali - quite a wonderful place and many happy family memories! :D

Two weeks later it stars again, fortunately not as bad as our outward flight as this time we had a 3 hour stop over meaning our 2 hour delay did not cost us any repeated trauma.

Recap:
£1200+ flight per adult
7.5 hour overall delay LHR - DPS.
2 hours delay DPS.
Refusal to upper deck on outward flight only.
No food or drink vouchers offered.
No quiet place of rest for my daughter offered.
No access to extra legroom seats on 1/2 of outward journey.

The airline said it was out of their control. I expected more and subsequently found myself leaving a negative review on here which I strongly dislike. I’m not sure what I should expect from this but even if this helps even one other person in a similar case then better than my scripted response from Qatar Airways.
Would I use them again? Probably not!

Date of travel: February 2024
1  Thank Culture09919224019
Reviewed 10 April 2024

I paid £134 for a seat with extra legroom but instead i was given a standard seat. Staff were completely useless, could even arrange a refund. Never flying Qatar again.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank Seán C
Reviewed 10 April 2024

I flew with Qatar and was extremely impressed by the service. The reason I am writing this review is that due to a delay in Johannesburg (not the airlines fault, a passenger had a medical issue so the bags had to be removed) this meant that i missed my connection in Doha airport. As i was travelling alone i was very upset to have missed my next flight and didn't know what i was going to do. However as soon as i arrived in the airport terminal from leaving the plane, there were Qatar Staff members holding up signs for Manchester (my end destination). They explained to me that i had missed my flight, but they already had a new boarding pass printed for me for the next available Qatar Airways flight to Manchester in 7 hours time. Due to how long the delay was, i even got put up in the Doha Airport Oryx Garden Hotel and i got a meal voucher. I was able to have a shower, have a sleep and get some food before another long flight. The staff were very friendly and helped explain and direct me. I really enjoyed the food on the flight, the inflight entertainment was fantastic. Overall I felt very well look after and feel as though this level of customer service i have not got with other airlines. I would definitely recommend. After reading some other reviews I'm glad that i did a package deal- i had 3 flights, 2 of which were Qatar, one was a local south African airline for the last leg of my start journey/first leg of my end journey. And i found booking this meant i was guaranteed customer service especially when passing through Doha. I cant comment on what delays would have been line if i was delayed in another country but my personal experience was great.

Date of travel: March 2024
    • Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.