“CHOOSE ANY AIRLINE BUT QATAR”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This was simply the most shocking experince I've ever had with any airline and a case study in terrible customer service.

Having paid over $8,900 for business class return flights between Australia and the UK, I was treated with utter disregard from the outset.

First, I was contacted in the afternoon of my outbound flight and told they had overbooked business class, and I was invited to change. I explained that I couldn't and was told that was fine. I turned up at Sydney airport that evening and was told I didn't have a seat and couldn't fly. The Qatar Airlines rep only even started investigating aternative flights when I started to cry. I was offered an upgrade if I agreed to fly a day later. I had no choice but to accept. At this point, the offer was downgraded to only one of the flights to the UK being upgraded and I was forced to sign a disclaimer waiving any right to further recourse.

When I finally boarded my first class leg the following day, there was no power on the aircraft so I was left with a dead and unchargeable device after 2 hours into a 15 hour + flight. They tried to charge it in the flight deck for 5.5 hours and it returned with 25% charge. The wifi that I paid for didn't work and the in-flight entertainment was a poor, out of date selection and the console only worked intermittently. It was peppered with content promoting the 2023 Doha Expo from last year. Other content dated back to 2016.

On my return to Sydney, I returned via Gatwick and was forced to open my suitcases and abandon some of my luggage content despite being 4 kilos over and 10 kilos under in my hand luggage. They explained that this was because no case could be over 32kilos. When I pointed out that the heaviest was 29 kilos they ignored me.

Having left the desk, I headed to find the lounge and learnt for the first time that there is no Qatar lounge in Gatwick. I eventually found their shared lounge and was told I wasn't entitled to enter without a 'silver invitation' and that my business class ticket did not entitle me to access. They telephoned the Qatar desk and rudely dismissed me saying, 'You can't come in. You're on an online upgrade fare'. This was not the case but the young woman at the lounge desk was rude and abrupt and said, 'speak to the airline'. When I found the small airline information stand, there were 2 staff trying to service all airlines and over 100 customers (many in tears) crowded around. It simply wasn't possible to speak to someone.

When I was finally aboard and the flight manager invited me to share feedback, I politely and with a smile explained that I'd had a less than ideal experience with Qatar so far and a challenging morning. She smiled and assured me that the lounges in Doha were lovely.

This proved to be academic advice as I was declined access there too. At this point, exhausted and less than half way through a 28 hour journey, I asked to speak to the Qatar Airlines Supervisor. This man waived a piece of laminated paper at me and explained, as if this were common knowledge, that Qatar offered 4 types of business class ticket and that I had purchased a 'business class lite' ticket. Furthermore, if I'd read the small print on their website I would see that it did not entitle me to lounge access. I work in tourism so know that most people's experience is that when they purchase a business class fare that lounge access is a standard inclusion. It certainly has been in my 57 years of travel to date. On a flight of that length, it is not a luxury perk but a key reason why the extra money is invested in that type of flight.

I explained that I had not booked via their website but via a travel agent and that at the point of sale (wherever they offer their product) is where they need to be open and transparent about the terms of the sale. This is especially the case when you are accepting almost $9,000 from a customer who you can reasonably assume is used to lounge access as part of a business class fare. This information had NOT been provided when I bought the flight and if it had been I would have had the opportunity to make an informed decision. If I had known I most certianly would not have selected Qatar.

The first time I flew with Qatar when they launched in Australia pre-Covid, I had a positive experience but they have gone dramatically downhill and I would urge everyone to think very carefully and do their due diligence before chossing them. I most certainly feel I spent $9k to be treated with rudeness and disdain and I will never fly with them again.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank mazerati2016

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Awful airline, on both connecting flights going out the entertainment system did not work. We had prepaid for seats on the return journey and when we boarded they had been allocated to someone else. We were told to write to complain by the cabin crew but Qatar would only refund the cost of one seat. Awful customer service. It would be classed as fraud on any other industry!!!

Date of travel: March 2024
2  Thank Y6341BMbh
Reviewed 16 April 2024

Why I wouldn't recommend Qatar Airways: I booked my flight back in January and preselected complimentary seats, receiving email confirmation of these seats. However, hours before boarding, I noticed our seats had been changed. When I called customer service, instead of resolving the issue, they made us feel unheard and blamed us for not paying for seats that were supposed to be free. This was despite us receiving confirmation of our seat selection without any mention of charges. The stress and upset caused almost made us cancel our flight. We had made separate bookings for our company's reimbursement and had selected seats in advance to ensure we could sit together, only to be seated apart. Customer service via phone and Facebook chat was nonchalant and unhelpful, claiming it was our problem. We had to plead our case at the airport to be seated together, though far back, only to have our seats changed again upon boarding. It was an incredibly stressful experience. We have another flight booked with Qatar Airways in June, but after this trip, we are seriously reconsidering and will likely return to our original airline of choice due to the poor customer service received from Qatar Airways.

Improve your customer service by offering alternatives and showing empathy towards your customers. Understand their needs and concerns, especially since flying can already be a stressful experience. Instead of saying "no" or "nothing can be done," explore different options to resolve issues and ensure a more relaxing flight for your passengers. Provide proactive assistance and listen attentively to their feedback and requests. By demonstrating understanding and offering solutions, you can greatly enhance the overall customer experience and foster positive relationships with your passengers

2  Thank Danielle F
Reviewed 16 April 2024

Very very poor never again would rather walk there is nothing good I can say totol mess Connecting flights which are impossible to get

1  Thank Kevin C
Reviewed 16 April 2024

I arrived in Doha, Qatar today using Qatar Airways, and I am very disappointed with the behavior of some flight attendants, as well as the captain, and the rules on this plane. I am a person who follows the laws of the Creator, who performs prayer (Namaz) timely and correctly, without errors. For me, prayer is more important than any journey. Therefore, if I had known in advance that in this company it is not possible to perform the prayer standing as required by Sharia, I would have bought a ticket from another company. But unfortunately, no one warned me about this before I bought the ticket, and I found myself in a very difficult situation. The tickets were already purchased, a large amount was spent, and I was already on the plane and flying in the air when I first encountered this problem. I'm very sorry that it turned out this way. There was a misunderstanding with the cabin crew; I explained to them that I specifically paid an extra $300 to sit in a place where I could perform the prayer standing, both on the way there and back. Unfortunately, the crew did not understand how important it was for me to perform Namaz (prayer) timely and while standing. I pleaded with them to give me this opportunity, but the crew categorically refused, citing safety concerns. I told the crew that I take responsibility for myself and am willing to sign any agreement stating that they are not liable for my safety, but I was still denied. Since the prayer time was critical, I had to perform it without the crew's approval. At that moment, I felt deeply offended, guilty, and yet compelled to act in this manner. Consequently, I performed the Ishaa prayer (2 Rakats), as well as the Subh (morning) prayer and the Zuhr (noon) prayer on time. However, I was left with a bitter feeling after the flight, as the crew complained about me and my sister, who was also performing the prayer standing. I advised her, and the crew did not personally warn her. I felt deeply humiliated and offended; tears welled up in my eyes. My sister cried heavily after the flight because they took us to the police station and kept us there for over three hours. As a result, we missed the next flight, which was supposed to fly for several hours, and we were supposed to be at my grandparents' and other relatives' house in Almaty, whom I am visiting for the first time in my 38 years of life. However, all the flights, both there and back, were canceled for us as if we were very wicked criminals. This further offended me, and now we are suffering. They do not refund the money spent on the tickets, and I don't have enough money to buy new ones. Now our relatives are trying to buy tickets for us on credit, but unfortunately, there are no available flights in the near future due to this situation. We are very delayed and tired; I haven't slept for over a day, and I can't sleep now because of the stress. I don't know what will happen next. The people who strictly prohibited us from performing Namaz standing, even though we were praying when the flight attendant was serving food to avoid standing when the seatbelt sign was on, remained silent when long queues formed in the toilet, even when the seatbelt sign was on for safety, for 10-15 minutes. When I mentioned this, they said it was different. I'm shattered. Dear Muslims, please clarify the details before flying with any company. As you can see, this company strictly prohibits performing Namaz standing. Keep this in mind before buying a ticket.

1  Thank ILIM S
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.