“Flight was fine, App doesn't work”
Review of Qatar Airways

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Tried to complete check-in via the App before the departure which kept crashing as did the Website but finally managed to complete everything. Check-in at Manchester was simple and efficient as the area has been refurbished with self scan desks.
Doha was ok, shops ranged from very expensive to tatt and was surprisingly limited given the fact that Doha is the Hub airport, signage was good and all the escalators etc appeared to be working. Check-in for the Manila flight was chaotic.
Return flight was equally straight forward. The only annoyance being that my baggage came off last on both out bound and return journeys.
The App also doesn't seem to give flight updates or alert you to boarding times.

Date of travel: April 2024

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The first leg Brisbane to Doha 14hr in economy, the plane was dated. One toilet became out of action midway during the flight which left 1 toilet for numerous + passengers for 7 hours in mid cabin. The flight was full. No attempt was made to fix the problem mid flight. The 2nd leg was comfortable as can be in economy class. The food was average. They serve sausage roll type food calling it sandwiches. The cabin crew are very polite however, the plane is dated. The return flight Heathrow to Doha, Doha to Brisbane was the same. Plane was dated. First leg was acceptable. The second leg Doha to Brisbane was the worst flight taken. Economy class is jam packed. One toilet became unusable mid way through the flight, no attempt to fix it; hence a lineup of people queuing down aisles all hours of the day and night for toilet usage. I possible would not fly Qatar again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Experienced worst food service in qr763 on feb 9th from doha to montreal. 2 times, for brunch and snack, we were served last and couldn't get what Qatar airways announced in their menu. But we got the same reply " we are running out of food". Qatar airways couldn't even supply the announced meal for their passengers and says worlds best dining. Raised a complaint,but received only generic replies and no solution.Customer care service is very poor and they are not at all interested to solve the issue. I am totally fed up with the service in my first experience with Qatar airways. And please don't make fake promises that you are giving world's best dining when you are not able to provide atleast the same announced food to all of your passengers.

Date of travel: February 2024
3  Thank bejoy g
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really not sure how Qatar Airways get such a high rating, the customer service was unimpressive(must point out that tge exception to this comment was Jean at Doha airport who was excellent). The service on the plane was disappointing, I asked for beer which never appeared, I asked for a coffee which came 20 minutes later and was cold, the food was bland and unappetising, made my wife ill. The dreamliner seats were extremely uncomfortable.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I took flight from LAX to LHE, through DOH, on QR 742 and 620. I must say it was one of my worst experiences on any airline. Did not expect this from an airline that claims to be ranked high by Skytrax. Both the hard and soft product were big disappointments.

The customer service has gone down the tube quite rapidly. All reps are obviously from India, which is not the issue, but at least choose those who have do not have hard to understand horrendous accents. The reps are not well trained either. They not only did not know about rules, they actually misled by saying things that turned out to be wrong. Every time I called, I seemed to get different answers. They should be trained to not paly by the ear when confronted with things they do not know; they should instead check with someone before misleading the customer.

I was only able to sort out some issues by calling several times, but not all of them. An average customer would not call so many times and may travel on wrong information provided by the untrained and hard to understand customer service representatives, and potentially incur financial losses due to baggage and seat selection rules.

Baggage Rules on Qatar Website
The website is very confusing regarding baggage rules, vis a vis for Silver and Premium. The website actually said that additional 15 kg was allowed at LAX for Silver members. Here was no mention of number of bags or 23 kg limit specific to LAX. If I had flown with that info, I would have incurred extra baggage fees.

Baggage Rules by Customer Service
After being confused by baggage rules information on Qatar website, I had to call the customer service several times before I could sort it out. Every time I called, I was given different information. First I was told, yes 15 more kg are allowed and “only one bag is allowed”. Next time I was told no, only 23 kg max are allowed and “I can put the extra 15 kg in another bag.” The third time, after insisting that the person check with supervisor, I was told that silver members can take 3 bags of max 23 kg each.

Seat Selection Layout
Seat selection layout on the Qatar website and app frequently does not match actual seat layout. The Seatguru layout is more accurate. This can lead to passengers selecting wrong seats. On the QR 742 flight the lady seated on 30B was apparently a Privilege Member and told me that she had paid extra to have a different preferred window seat, but they put her on 30B which had no window, and gave her paid for seat to another customer.

Seat Selection according to Customer Service
I wanted to select seat 31A or 31K on the first segment, which the Qatar website said will be at cost. When I called customer service I was told that I can get the seat selection for free at the time of web check in, which will open 24 hours before the flight. This turned out to be another of these customer service guys making rues on the fly rather than checking the actual rules.

Web Check-In
Even though the Qatar app and the Qatar website kept saying that the web check in will open 24 hours before the flight, and the app actually said exactly 24 hour before that the web check in was open, it would not let you check in, and said that web check in not available at the last step.
When I called customer service bout that, they informed me that that “the control has been transferred to the airport”. Both the website and the app as well as the customer service gave wrong information.

Lounge Access LAX
The Qatar website is not clear about whether Silver members get long access in LAX. The customer service representative insisted that there was no lounge access. She also said that there was no Qatar Airlines lounge at LAX and Silver members could not use One World lounge either.
Luckily, I remembered to ask at the check in and was told that lounge access at One World was of course available. Again, customer service representatives are under-trained, they are not informed about the latest information either.

Information about the Far Away Gate Flight Information Board in the One World Lounge
The gate for QR 742 is quite far from the One world Lounge. Passengers should be informed at the time of check-in or in the Lounge. The flight information board was not showing the flight was boarding, but when I inquired at the front desk at my own volition, I was told it was “in the last stages of checking in”. I had to run most of the way.

Hard Seat
The seats on QR 742 are not appropriate for a 17-hour flight. They were particularly hard and bad for circulation. In contrast, seats on other airlines like Emirates and Etihad are softer.

At the Gate at DOH
Checking in at the gate in DOH is very convoluted for Silver members flying on Economy. There were no signs to help. One staff was telling me to stand with the premium access, the other was telling me to stand in a different row with Economy (which was also not signed).

By some strange logic, the Silver members and the wheelchair ones were told to wait till the rest of the economy checks in. Also, when I finally reached my seat, there was no room in overhead bin near my seat. I had to use bin at a distance. This is not priority.

Baggage Last
My baggage also got not priority handling. In fact it was practically the last to arrive at the destination

I am not sure if I would want to fly Qatar again, especially when better products are available and which are also competitive in price. My only hope was that being Silver I would get better benefits, but largely due to the customer service and soft product as well as a very hard seat for a long flight, messed it up for me.

3  Thank IratePilgrim
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.