“Avoid flying with SAS”
Review of SAS

Reviewed 26 March 2024

My experience with this airline was just AWFUL. They canceled my flight SK1853 just an hour before it was supposed to take off, right in the middle of my vacation in July 2023, and didn't offer me any other options. I had to buy expensive new tickets myself. And to make matters worse, I STILL (now it is April 2024!) haven't received any compensation (claim they call it) for a cancelled flight, and I can't seem to get through to them on the phone. Their staff doesn't seem to know anything. Their return system on their website is very tricky. It feels like they're avoiding taking responsibility and I feel completely cheated by them. I'll never use their services again and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. They have lost my trust completely.
My booking reference 4EX8DE

• Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank F6023IN_

Reviewed 24 March 2024

First and last time I've flown SAS. Worst in-flight meals I've ever had the displeasure of trying and the only time I've ever discarded the entirety of my meal. And then they completely destroyed both of our checked in bags. Luggage looked like they dropped it out of the airplane before it landed. We didn't have receipts because the bags were over 5 years old, so our claim for reimbursement was denied. They were plain no-frills soft-shell bags, about $200 for both. An airline that doesn't have $200 to reimburse their customers for damaged luggage must be cutting corners everywhere. Luckily, we had insurance and it ended up paying for both bags.

Date of travel: December 2023
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank Nuc S
Reviewed 21 March 2024

Appalling airline. Landed in Oslo just in time for the airport to close due to snow meaning our onward fight to Tromso was cancelled.

We were Rescheduled to the following day meaning we lost a day of our holiday in Tromso.

Ok we understood nothing could be done about the weather however this is where the appalling service and attitude of SAS ground staff began!

No communication as to what to do next. Went through to the SAS service point in departures to be met with around 200 passengers all trying to understand next steps.

Eventually we found out we had to take a ticket and wait to be called. This took almost 2 hours for my number to be called to be informed by the SAS advisor they didn’t know what has happening and would not be booking overnight accommodation and we had to sort out and pay for ourselves and try and claim back.

We were then told there was a staff member issuing food vouchers.

Eventually located said staff member who didn’t know anything about vouchers. Eventually staff member came back out to the crowd to be issued with a £7 meal voucher which was to feed us for the next 20 hours until our rescheduled flight.

We were informed our luggage would go on our flight the next day.

We were lucky enough to book a room in the hotel across from the airport and in a privileged position to be able to pay for this ourselves. ( what would happen to the passengers that couldn’t afford to pay for accommodation costs?)

SAS didn’t give a stuff. There were no staff advising or directing passengers other than 2 staff sitting behind a desk calling each number through. It was chaos.

What would have been common sense was someone to take leadership and speak to the group informing them to book their own accommodation and to claim it back!!!

Instead it was chaos with no one knowing what was happening.

We learned too that that evening two flights had taken off for Tromso.

The following morning the same chaos returned. Unable to print boarding pass for reschedule flight. Eventually spoke to a very helpful Norwegian airline member of staff who did direct us to an SAS staff member.

She printed our boarding passes where we noticed the preferred exit seats we had paid for were not honoured.

At this point we were glad to be on the flight to our destination.

Arrived in Tromso where chaos resumed again! Passengers from the cancelled flight had bags missing. We waited at the baggage reclaim for no bags to arrive.

Eventually found a huge cage where the luggage was found which had clearly been sent to Tromso on the previous evenings flights.

At this point I notice my suitcase was damamged. Found the customer service desk for an SAS member of staff to suddenly run away saying he would be back to help!

Waited for 20 minutes to which I spoke to another staff member who helped me log the damamged luggage.

I fly regularly around the world and I can honestly say SAS ground staff service is absolutely appalling. There is no communication, you are lucky if you can find a staff member and when you do they don’t know anything.

SAS get your house in order. Cancelling flights due to snow is not an uncommon occurrence. Oslo is in the land of snow!

An utter shambles and we will never fly SAS again.

A shame given the cabin crew were the complete opposite and very helpful!

Stay well clear of SAS!

1  Thank J7890KUtraceyc
Reviewed 19 March 2024

I fly a lot, and airline companies are the worst, but I have never experienced such abysmal customer service. In fact this is the worst experience with any company ever.

Their crappy website won't let me add carry-on luggage beforehand (which in itself is already ridiculous). So I paid double because of their own ridiculously bad systems. But I cannot get reimbursed because according to their T&C: "SAS waives all liability resulting from errors with data systems or similar which prevents or impedes the possibility to purchase Travel Extras. This applies regardless of whether the error lies with SAS or any other party." So they earn money because of their own incompetence. How is that even legal.

During my layover, I had to pay the extra fee at the gate. I showed on my phone that it wasn't working, and still the person at the desk had the audacity of insinuating it was somehow my fault. Then supposedly I would get a receipt by text. Never got anything, so now I can't even get reimbursed by my company.

By the way, on the return flight there was again a problem. This time I just didn't pay. And guess what, they didn't even notice. So one advice: use their gross incompetence to your advantage, or you'll get screwed.

Reviewed 19 March 2024

We bought business class seats for the overnight flight. When I checked the reservation, it says I have to pay an extra $190 to preselect the seat so I can sit next to my husband! Apparently, this is a new policy and there have been so many complaints they are “reviewing “ the policy. When paying extra for business class seats, I would expect to be able to select my seat to sit with my family.

2  Thank Louise W
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.