“Worst Airline”
Review of SAS

Reviewed 10 April 2024

Absolutely garbage airline. Would give a 0 if it was possible. We had a trip from Miami to Athens planned, flying to Copenhagen first from Miami and then taking a connecting flight to Athens from there. On our way to the airport in Miami we received an email from them that the Copenhagen to Athens flight had been canceled. We had hotels, transportation, etc... already booked. At the airport they told us that we would be rebooked on a different flight to Athens, and would be helped with that when we arrived at Copenhagen. The only flight they would rebook us to had us staying 16hrs at the copenhagen airport, then flying to london, from london flying to amsterdam, and attempting to catch a flight from amsterdam to athens that was scheduled to leave 50 mins after landing at Amsterdam. If we were not interested in this option, we could request a refund. We ended up just booking a different flight with another airline, which cost us an arm and a leg because it was last minute, and decided to just request a refund. Good thing we did, going with their option would have forced us to lose 2 additional days going from airport to airport, not to mention, the london to amsterdam flight ended up being delayed which caused everyone going with that option to miss the amsterdam to athens flight.

When we called the airline to request a refund for the copenhagen to athens flight that they canceled, they did not want to honor it, eventhough their email specifically stated we were entitled to a refund. After several hours on hold and arguing with their agent, they agreed to refund that flight and would calculate the cost. Waited several weeks and now they have decided to issue a $68 refund per passenger for that flight. $68! when we had even paid for our seats separately. Most horrible airline we have ever dealt with. Avoid at all costs unless you do not care having a last minute cancellation that could potentially ruin your planned vacation or cost you a lot of money, and then fighting with them for a refund, if any.

Date of travel: March 2024
2  Thank 535freddyp

Reviewed 8 April 2024

I flew this airline for the first time and had a HORRIBLE experience. I booked a flight from Tromso to Berlin with a stop in Oslo. Check-in was smooth, but the flight got delayed. It was only suppose to be 15 minutes, but it ended up taking off about 30+ minutes late. Not a big deal, except I had a tight connection window to make my connection to Berlin. Rather than booking me a new itinerary knowing that I wouldn't make the connection, they rebooked me to another country for another layover to arrive in Berlin while I was flying the first leg. They had no other directs to Berlin that entire day and the other airline that did have a direct 1 hour later "wasn't a partner." I was livid upon landing and learning I had to fly to another country for another 2 flights and arrive at the END of the day, effectively ruining 1/3 of my time in Berlin. There was no representative at the SAS Service Counter near gates, so I had to LEAVE and go outside of security just to speak with someone. I had to throw out $10 worth of bottled water I bought inside of the airports as I re-entered security (and pulled everything out of my bags again). He was extremely rude and said so what you're arriving 5.5 hrs later? Like it was no big deal I had to ruin a vacation day and travel for 10 hours duration. He didn't apologize, didn't help me with booking the other airline. By the time I finished with him, I was 10 minutes over the cutoff to book that other flight. I was forced to wait 2 hours, fly to Helsinki, to catch another connection to fly to Berlin. I had just finished an international leg of 14.5 hrs flight time 3 days prior that I am just extremely dehydrated at this point with a headache. I asked if they would provide a meal voucher because now we'll have to eat lunch at the airport in Norway and he gave me $100 NOK voucher for 2 people each! You can hardly buy a bottled beverage for that price in Norway, our lunch ended up costing $1100 NOK, not the $200 NOK they vouched for. Then I asked if my bags would be transferred "mid route" to the new airline and was promised they will be transferred. What do you think happens when I arrive in Berlin? I receive a text message that my bags had never left Oslo and were being flown on the ORIGINAL airline (SAS) the next day. Now I have had to travel 10 hours duration, take 3 flights, arrive at the END of the day ruining everything I had planned in Berlin, and now I don't even have luggage. Even worse, they say it will take 3 days to deliver and encourage me just to come pick them up at the airport - which is going to easily suck another 1.5-2 hours out of my 2nd of 3 days here (and pay out of pocket for transportation). I am beyond livid and will never fly this airline again.

Date of travel: March 2024
1  Thank Bmtamm88
Reviewed 6 April 2024

Absolutely the worst service, walked to check-in, employee got up and walked away, went to the next people, they said go all the way to the end. Went to the end and the "lead agent" said we were 3 minutes late, refused to help and just said "unlucky" Never going to even consider them again because I've never seen people so rude, lazy, and unwilling in my life. Choose anyone BUT them for your own safety.

1  Thank Sightseer59318204115
Reviewed 3 April 2024

I rarely take to public forums to air my grievances, but my recent experience with SAS Airlines compels me to warn others of their gross negligence and utter disregard for passenger welfare. On April 1, 2024, my flight from Frankfurt to Copenhagen (Booking Reference: L3RW9M, Flight SK 1636) was not just abruptly canceled after boarding, but it also involved a prelude of unnecessary hardship. We were kept waiting in packed buses for over 40 minutes, with no opportunity to use the toilet and suffering under poor air quality—a precursor to the chaos that was to unfold.

What followed was a series of missteps that would be comedic if they weren't so distressing. SAS's attempt at rebooking involved a convoluted route through London, with a 10-hour layover, and a critical oversight: it required a passport for transit, a detail overlooked in their communication and a document I did not possess for this intra-EU trip.

Customer service was inaccessible until the next morning, and when reached, their proposed solutions ranged from impractical to impossible, culminating in a failed attempt to rush us onto a flight with insufficient check-in time. Calls to customer service yielded responses that ranged from unhelpful to downright rude, including a hang-up and blame-shifting for their logistical blunders.

Stranded for over 14 hours due to a series of cancellations and inadequate rebookings, it was ultimately the kindness and competence of Lufthansa's staff that salvaged our journey, not SAS's efforts. This ordeal not only cost us valuable time but also exposed SAS's prioritization of cost-saving over customer satisfaction and basic logistical competence.

This experience was a glaring testament to SAS's failure in every conceivable aspect of customer service and operational management. It's a stark warning to any potential passenger: consider alternative airlines if you value your time, sanity, and the bare minimum of respect and assistance in unforeseen circumstances.

2  Thank Lorenz91de
Reviewed 2 April 2024

It was a bit late but for me personally is sad when you cannot have water on board for free, I mean it seems a bit inhuman in case if someone is sick or have to drink some pills

Date of travel: April 2024
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.