“Is there possibly a worse airline”
Review of SATA - Azores Airlines

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our flights to and from Pico from Toronto were changed no less than 8 times. Twice causing us great anguish. We were bumped from our flight to Ponta Delgada from Pico less than two weeks before we were to fly. They had rebooked us on a flight that would arrive in Ponta Delgada after our flight to Toronto would have left. After some back and forth with them we got a flight from Pico to Terceira and from Terceira to Ponta Delgada in time for our flight to Toronto. Best of all, the direct flight from Pico to Ponta Delgada still left at the same time as we had booked. But even better, 72 hours before leaving from Toronto, they changed our flight from Ponta Delgada to Pico and rebooked us on a later flight resulting in a 13 hour layover in Ponta Delgada, requiring us to change ferry reservations, booking a hotel for the night and confirming with the rental car company they could hold our car for us until we arrived. No apologies for the inconvenience, no compensation for out of pocket expenses. Not sure we’ll go back to the Azores even though we had a great time otherwise.

2  Thank Staffen17

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had had the worst customer service experience with SATA. After our outgoing flights being delayed, I was nervous to fly back and was not surprised to have the flight cancelled at boarding time. Our tickets were updated online and overhead in the airport prior to the ground crew being alerted. When the ground crew finally "knew something" we were directed to the check in counter. 2 lines open and the full flight were in line to adjust, rebook and get vouchers. Sadly, in person communication was as bad as attempting to talk with someone on the phone. I had to leave to check in to my flight prior to being seen in line. Ongoing phone calls were simply an added expense as they were 100% unhelpful. I am understanding that things happen, flights change, and the need to be adaptable. I have no argument here. What I do have to argue is SATA's lack of response, clear lack of concern for their customer base and the most concerning a lack of organizational process in this situation. This does not instill trust with SATA for flight safety or communication. I highly recommend visiting the Azores and Madiera, but save yourself the time and money and book with another airline.

2  Thank Dancer41love
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a government controlled airline, it's a monopoly from any US airport to Azores.
Our flight out of JFK was cancelled, was told to go to airport to get our next flight and info. Had to book hotel for night and was given no help from airline. Had to get a taxi to Newark, because I was rebooked the following day out of Newark via Barcelona, arriving the following day at 8pm. Now just lost 1.5 days on a week trip. They forgot my luggage in Barcelona, had to purchase clothes, return to airport following day to retrieve luggage, to find out they forgot one. Now on day 5, returned to airport to receive luggage with now 2 damaged wheels.
Never again with this airline, they don't even show up on any flight tracker, that by itself a a case to never fly them again

1  Thank Z11RFjoes
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was my second trip to the Azores. Both times flights have been cancelled due to "technical difficulties". Then they try hard to avoid any compensation/hotel accommodation etc. Terrible airline. Not sure their planes are actually safe really, based on my own experience at least.

1  Thank Culture826453
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After reading a lot of negative reviews of SATA i was a little worried to fly with them, however I was pleasantly surprised at the fantastic service SATA offered. I will most definitely fly with them again, and will choose them over other carriers if I have the option.
Our experience was 10/10! Flight was on time, very helpful and polite staff that went above and beyond to make our flight enjoyable. Plane was very comfortable and clean. Meal served was very tasty, free wine with dinner was pleasant and much appreciated surprise! Azore cookies were great too!
North American carries could learn a thing or two from SATA how to treat customers. Flying with SATA reminded me of how flying used to be 10 years ago. SATA please don't change.
I can't wait to book another flight with SATA

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.