“Nice flight to Singapore.”
Review of Singapore Airlines

Reviewed 17 January 2018

We flew Singapore Airlines from Sydney to Singapore. It is an eight hour flight and pretty good it was. We flew on an A380 which was about nine years old. The aircraft interior was in fairly good condition considering its age. There was plenty of leg room and we had a spare seat in our row, which is always good. The meals were pretty good as was the entertainment. There were no delays in checking in, going through immigration or boarding the plane. I would easily fly with them again.

Write a ReviewReviews (15,366)

Reviewed 17 January 2018

We travelled by this airlines last December to NZ . This airline has been the fastest way to reach New Zealand. We took Mumbai- Singapore- Auckland flight. Asian Veg Meal from Mumbai - Singapore flight is great but Singapore - Auckland flight is strictly average.

Between Singapore - Auckland , Singapore Airlines ferries older A 380 s which have dated interiors and the economy is quite cramped. However we got Boeing for Mumbai to Singapore which was newer and better infotainment system.

The travel time between Singapore to Auckland is about 10 hours. This flight is most full and choc a bloc. On my back to home, I had a transfer from Christchurch to Auckland by Air New Zealand which was the part of the same PNR, they tagged my bags till Singapore , thanks to Singapore Airlines Staff who was alerted me of the folly and got my bags re tagged at Auckland Airport.

Singapore Airlines did damage my bag though however the baggage claim department immediately offered compensation for the same.

Reviewed 17 January 2018

Wonderful service, quality food excellent seats. Pity they didn't have my choice of breakfast they had run out. Only drawback on this flight otherwise 5 stars.

we were on the A380 and were upstairs where the configuration was 2/4/2

we were in a party of 6 and had 3 x 2 rows behind each other
the seats were roomy and plenty of legroom

seat back tvs were old but worked well .
service was lovely and the food really nice
for a long haul flight it was great and would recommend -
we did come back on a 777 and this was only worthy of a 3 rating as the food ran out - the legroom was harsh and the service no where near as good

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 17 January 2018

First and Business class passengers can ignore this review - you guys at the pointy end will always be looked after superbly. For the rest of us in cattle class, it's a far different story.

Efficiency, cleanliness etc in the economy section is fine as usual though the plane did look a little tired. And as anyone interested in marketing will tell you, cleanliness etc are hygiene factors i.e. table stakes for a first tier airline. It is the little things that leave the biggest impressions and either make or break reputations.

SQ Economy - in my humble opinion - has descended another step. Food is awful, service is discriminatory (more later), cost-cutting seems to be approaching a 'silly' rating.

Having learnt a lesson from my previous choice of a low salt meal as recommended by my GP (bland to the point of inedibility), I opted for a seafood meal this time. The 'lunch' main course on the ADL-SG leg was a cardboard white fish fillet flanked by some green mash that could have been broccoli and peas, and a tomato-infused cous cous - the cou cous was the tastiest and most edible item on the plate. 'Refreshment' was a shrimp and noodle stir fry that was so over-salted that I could not eat it.

On the ADL-SG leg, I also noticed numerous Indian families who opted for vegetarian meals for religious or cultural reasons. When the after dinner ice-creams came around, the children were of course excited...only to have the stewardess announce loudly that the ice-creams are only for those who had a 'regular' meal.

Result: Lots of disappointed kids. Really SQ? How much would a few ice-creams cost? Is it worth being remembered by these kids (who will grow up and buy their own air-tickets) as the airline that wouldn't give them an after-dinner ice-cream?

More cost-cutting was evident on the overnight SG-ADL leg leaving Singapore at 11.35pm. The 'Refreshment' which was listed on the onboard menus when I flew ADL-SG in December, had disappeared with the turn of the year. Happy New Year SQ economy flyers! No supper for you, only breakfast before arrival at Adelaide.

Never mind that dinner for me and many would have been a distant 4-5 hours earlier. Sure, you may argue that many flyers would not want 'refreshments'. But would it be so hard to offer say a hot drink and snack to those who want it? You don't even have to push the trolleys around, just announce it over the PA for travellers to ask their hostie for a hot drink and snack.

I did ask. Instead of being offered options, it was like a guessing game. Do you have..? No. How about..? No. Sigh. I should take a tip from the family across the aisle from me, who whipped out their Burger King takeout bags the moment the seatbelt sign turned off. Hmmm, surely this scene is more budget airline than first tier?

More cost cutting was evident in the overnight amenities bag. This now contained a pair of socks, toothbrush and toothpaste. The sleep mask has disappeared. So, what did travellers do? I saw some tying their socks over their eyes. As for the blankets, mine was long past its retirement date. Over-laundered and scratchy. My dog would reject it.

My next ADL-SG-ADL trip will be a toss-up. Do I opt for the shorter, non-stop SQ, and BYO food, entertainment etc? Or do I opt for a more comfortable airline like Qantas or Emirates and take their 1-stop flight via Melb/Syd/Perth etc.

In other words, is saving 2 hours worth an uncomfortable, expensive SQ flight?

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
3  Thank Secret_Possum