“TAP Airlines - Broken Process requires me to pay a hefty baggage fee”
Review of TAP Air Portugal

Reviewed 15 May 2024

I had my first experience travelling TAP and was extremely disappointed!!!
I was returning from Casablanca to Washington DC via Lisbon (TP1437/TP231) on Friday May 10th, 2024. As I was on business travel, I had a carry on strolley bag and my laptop bag. At check-in in Casablanca, I was asked if I wanted to check-in any baggage and I showed her my bags and said no I would not be checking in any bags as I had done on all my other legs of travel. The gate agent said OK and I boarded the flight to Lisbon with no issues.
Once I landed in Lisbon, I transited to the gate for my onward travel to Washington DC. As I entered the gate two TAP agents were standing there with a weighing scale and asked me to put my bags on the scale. They said I was over the weight limit and I had to pay a fee of Euros 115 for each of my bags. I told them I will gladly check-in my bags but was told that it was not possible and I would have to pay the penalty. I was shocked as I was on the same ticket where I started my journey and did not even exit the airport. I told them that the TAP gate agent in Casablanca should have informed me of this penalty and I would have gladly checked-in my bags. I was told by the two agents at the gate in Lisbon that this is the rule for Lisbon. I paid the fee of Euro230, I informed them that this was daylight robbery. A flaw in their process had become a problem for me. How does TAP expect their customers to check in their bags when they are transiting between gates in Lisbon and are not given a chance to check-in their bags? How can they ethically even enforce a rule like this? Incidentally, neither of them even suggested that you transfer material from the laptop bag to the carry on strolley bag and pay only one penalty of Euro 115 instead of the Euro 230 they charged me. Given my experience, I guess it’s asking for too much from TAP employees who are more interested in gouging from their customers.
I have travelled extensively the globe over on business travel and in all my years of travel, this is the first time I have experienced such an unfortunate and ridiculous situation. A warning to all TAP travelers who are transiting through Lisbon of this flaw in their process that can penalize you by Euro115 if not more. Incidentally, my trip to Casablanca was on Turkish Airlines and it was smooth and effortless. TAP needs to seriously review their processes and policies.
Going forward, my family or I will NEVER EVER TRAVEL ON TAP to any destination they fly to. Even if they are the only airline flying there, I would rather drive or prefer to not go there.
I will be happy to share my travel and ticket details with whoever from TAP Airlines if there is any interest in improving customer experience and the company ethos. Given my experience, I won’t be surprised if I do not hear back and that will only crystallize my viewpoint.
Best of luck to all future TAP travelers…you will need it!!!

Reviewed 13 May 2024

I was told since I booked my flight early the comfort seats I paid to be in was taken away at check-in and I was put in Basic seats at the back of the plane. If this is how TAP treat customers I cannot recommend them to anyone.

Date of travel: April 2024
Reviewed 13 May 2024

This airline will scam you about baggage. I flew on TAP from Dusseldorf to Lisbon with no issues. Then Lisbon to Newark all of a sudden my carry on was overweight. They weigh your personal item and carry on together. Never heard of that before. Was charged €115 to check my bag even though if I had known this ahead of time I would’ve checked the bag as I was supposed to have the 1st checked bag free. This makes no sense. I’m livid.

Reviewed 13 May 2024

No 1 airline, service was perfect, couldn’t ask for more, minor fault on plane but was rectified quickly, food was unbelievable

Reviewed 11 May 2024

Upon arrival 2.5 hours ahead of departure, there were extra uniformed personnel for our flight amassed at the gate and a divider prevented us from entering the boarding area. When they finally permitted us to enter, several people—including us—were separated and our carryon luggage weighed. Ours were measured and deemed to be the correct dimensions. The agent then declared our carryons to be too heavy, even though TAP is a "pieces" airline and not a "weight" airline. We had entered Portugal on the same flight (MIA to LIS) with exactly the same luggage and no one was pulled aside and questioned by TAP personnel. The agent demanded we pay 115€ extra. When we pointed out that we could have checked FOUR MORE BAGS for free, he said that it didn't matter. I volunteered to go back through security and check the offending bag, to which the TAP agent told me there was insufficient time. We observed that THEY DID NOT CHECK EVERYONE with a personal item and a carryon, yet they charged a few randomly screened people. It is legal and acceptable to randomly search someone (according to Portuguese law), but it is NOT legal to randomly search AND RANDOMLY CHARGE select passengers. We were forced to pay up or miss the flight. To make things worse, there were many empty seats on the flight with a great deal of overhead storage space.

We paid additional for comfort seats, We were served ONE small cup of water on a 9+ hour flight. Perhaps the standard seats received no water at all.

A miserable airline I will never patronize again.

1  Thank Q320NZdavids
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.