“Rubbish handling of a delayed flight.”
Review of TAP Air Portugal

Reviewed 17 May 2024

The flight was delayed two hours. OK, that can happen to any airline. But the ground crew and the air crew never even acknowledged the delay, never mind apologise for it.
In addition, they were surly and unhelpful.
Also, the information about the actual departure time and the gate came through in dribs and drabs, and different sources (their app, their emails, the airport signage) was contradictory.
Rubbish performance.

2  Thank calumc2021

Reviewed 16 May 2024

Do not believe any positive reviews posted by TAP herein in an effort to counter the massive 99% of individuals giving TAP the garbage, crooked, terrible rating they so rightly deserve. Ground staff and flight crew rude beyond belief, changed my emergency row seat which au paid extra for and separated my wife and I arbitrarily…restricted access to loos once they start any service and have a massive chip on their shoulders. Pay the extra to fly BA or other carriers as TAP are the worst!!!! And that’s the truth read what everyone is saying before you regret travelling with this pathetic excuse for an airline. TAP are crap!!!!!

Reviewed 16 May 2024

Terrible customer service. Confusing baggage rules. You see so many people arguing at the gate desk. Different rules at check in then at the gate. The staff seem enjoying to annoy passengers. The see like on the mission. Avoid

1  Thank Marcin M
Reviewed 16 May 2024

I did an online check in and had my boarding pass on my phone. I painstakingly packed my carry-on and my person item to make absolutely sure that I was not over weight. With my portable scale, the carry on weighed 9.5 kilos (a half kilo less than allowed). Upon EARLY arrival to the gate I was told to weigh both bags and everything was an acceptable weight. Then she said that I had to check my carry-on bag as they didn't have enough overhead space. I was probably the 15th person to arrive at the gate. There was no "volunteer to check your bag" option offered to the waiting passengers. I told the attendant that I did not want to check it as I had a tight connection in Miami. She insisted that is was not an option. All the passengers behind me were angry as well.
Why have baggage policies only to ignore them? If I was over weight or trying to sneak in extra bags I could understand it but I stressed over keeping the weight limit and not purchasing souvenirs only to be forced to check it.
After boarding, there was plenty of un-used space in the upper bins. Total BS!!!!
AND the USB ports did not work on both of my flights that day either.
Fortunately there are lots of other airlines to travel with!

Reviewed 15 May 2024

I had my first experience travelling TAP and was extremely disappointed!!!
I was returning from Casablanca to Washington DC via Lisbon (TP1437/TP231) on Friday May 10th, 2024. As I was on business travel, I had a carry on strolley bag and my laptop bag. At check-in in Casablanca, I was asked if I wanted to check-in any baggage and I showed her my bags and said no I would not be checking in any bags as I had done on all my other legs of travel. The gate agent said OK and I boarded the flight to Lisbon with no issues.
Once I landed in Lisbon, I transited to the gate for my onward travel to Washington DC. As I entered the gate two TAP agents were standing there with a weighing scale and asked me to put my bags on the scale. They said I was over the weight limit and I had to pay a fee of Euros 115 for each of my bags. I told them I will gladly check-in my bags but was told that it was not possible and I would have to pay the penalty. I was shocked as I was on the same ticket where I started my journey and did not even exit the airport. I told them that the TAP gate agent in Casablanca should have informed me of this penalty and I would have gladly checked-in my bags. I was told by the two agents at the gate in Lisbon that this is the rule for Lisbon. I paid the fee of Euro230, I informed them that this was daylight robbery. A flaw in their process had become a problem for me. How does TAP expect their customers to check in their bags when they are transiting between gates in Lisbon and are not given a chance to check-in their bags? How can they ethically even enforce a rule like this? Incidentally, neither of them even suggested that you transfer material from the laptop bag to the carry on strolley bag and pay only one penalty of Euro 115 instead of the Euro 230 they charged me. Given my experience, I guess it’s asking for too much from TAP employees who are more interested in gouging from their customers.
I have travelled extensively the globe over on business travel and in all my years of travel, this is the first time I have experienced such an unfortunate and ridiculous situation. A warning to all TAP travelers who are transiting through Lisbon of this flaw in their process that can penalize you by Euro115 if not more. Incidentally, my trip to Casablanca was on Turkish Airlines and it was smooth and effortless. TAP needs to seriously review their processes and policies.
Going forward, my family or I will NEVER EVER TRAVEL ON TAP to any destination they fly to. Even if they are the only airline flying there, I would rather drive or prefer to not go there.
I will be happy to share my travel and ticket details with whoever from TAP Airlines if there is any interest in improving customer experience and the company ethos. Given my experience, I won’t be surprised if I do not hear back and that will only crystallize my viewpoint.
Best of luck to all future TAP travelers…you will need it!!!

• Check-in and boarding
Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.