“Long delay, no communication from United”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Long delays due to visibility in San Francisco.

My flight was scheduled to depart at 18:39. I rang United to enquire about departing Las Vegas about 15:00. The CSA advised there were long delays, with the 15:15 departure anticipated to depart around 18:00 (or later).

I'm enrolled in United's text communications scheme; however, NO COMMUNICATIONS WERE RECEIVED....EVER! I found this to be frustrating since I'd have never learned of the delays until arriving at the airport. This made for an extremely long day. As it turned out, I changed my 18:39 flight to the 15:15 departure...which ended up departing about 18:00!

I understand weather delays and can accept them without issue. I cannot, however, accept lack of communication from an Air Carrier particularly when delays of this nature are known in advance!

Flight crew were great! Skipper advised he had encountered a similar delay departing KSEA for KSFO earlier in the day. Crew were upbeat and happy, in spite of the obvious disaster of a day for them!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (32,434)

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Selected Economy and provided an upgrade. Thanks, Gang!

Crew were fatigued and it showed. KEWR based cabin crew had been on the go all day. SFO delayed resulted in an even longer day for them! They kept a smile on their faces and provided great service (in spite of most passengers being asleep).

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Crew looked after me with their usual attention to detail. Fabulous flight! An early start, but was able to nap for most of the journey.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

When you fly out of Newark, there is more than a 50% chance you will get United. I had somehow avoided United up to this point as the last time I was on this airline, it was still Continental (which I was always happy with). Overall, the customer service and other workers from United were always helpful and nice. Our gate, when we left Newark, was a disaster. It was under construction and none of the United employees were mic'ed. You couldn't hear anyone and no one knew for sure where and when to board. You didn't even know where the United reps were at the gate (you couldn't see them). All of us eventually got on line and we managed to board somehow. With the made-up time in the air, we actually arrived to Barcelona on time. The plane (both ways) was an older one I believe and it was fine enough. On both journeys, they had trouble with the in-flight entertainment and had to re-start it a few times (and on the way back, none of the new releases were available). The food was OK for economy and they came around enough with snacks to feel that I was more than satisfied. Again, the flight attendants were always nice and helpful. The United app works randomly too. On the way to Barcelona, I had no trouble checking in through the app (while in the US) and getting the boarding passes (the drop-off kiosks at Newark were nice too) but on the way back to the US, it didn't go as smoothly. I tried checking in through the app and the boarding passes wouldn't come through the phone. I thought it had to do with checking in from another country but I saw other people at the Barcelona airport who had their boarding passes on their phone. On top of that, only my sister's boarding pass came through an email (I was told to check in at the airport) so we both had to stay on a long line, waiting to get checked in. Again, not a huge deal, but could have been handled better. I also got chosen for the random screen search, which I totally understand they have to do - but they made me come to the gate a half an hour before boarding, only to wait on that line the full half hour before getting taken (as they started boarding). Now, I don't know if this is United's issue or the airport's, but this couldn't have been handled better too. So overall, nothing too great or bad about this experience but United should definitely communicate with Newark airport better about their gates that are under construction because that boarding process was completely chaotic.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

It's a pleasure to be able to write something positive about United Airlines for a change. All four flights, two there and two back, were pleasant and thankfully uneventful. Perhaps they're finally turning things around.