“Excellent experience overall, but found the economy plus seats are the best.”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed 19 November 2018

I need a regular flight route now from London to New York for business, Even though flights out of Heathrow are more expensive, I don't like using any of the other metropolitan hubs. I was offered an upgraded return flight, which was a reasonable expense. The premiere check in experience was terrific; absolutely no queue with friendly agents, and a breeze through security. The lounge was simply superb, serving delicious food and hearty drinks. I really liked the fact that they announce the flights over the speaker system, so there was no need to constantly gaze at the flight schedule screen. Everything was ideal until I sat down my seat. The airplane was an Airbus A330-300, and nothing about the configuration seemed ergonomic to me. I am not a skinny guy, but after flying upper class on other airlines over the years I have never had the feeling of claustrophobia that I did with this seat. Not only that, but there did not seem to be natural places to place individual items like my phone or even a drink. I found that I liked the first leg from London in Economy Plus much more than the flight home.

Date of travel: November 2018
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (11,084)

Reviewed 19 November 2018

Like many other airlines Virgin have issues with Rolls Royce engines that are on the Boeing fleet. As a result they have been forced to get replacement aircraft in in order to avoid cancelling services. Apparently on a number of the Gatwick fleet they are using Airbus A330-200's purchased from the now defunct Air Berlin. These aircraft are yet to Virgin standard (according to the stewardess they will be from January 2019) but in Economy they are still comfortable and the same service is received.
As I am 6'7" I always have to pay for exit row seats so the legroom wasn't an issue. The entertainment system is the same as is the food & beverage.
There are no premium economy seats and the Upper Class are very old Business class seats and I believe that is where the biggest issue will be as it is not up to standard, or even close.
However in economy you don't really notice much apart from different colour scheme and German being the prominent language in the toilets. The one negative I would add is that there was no prior notification of the change of aircraft. Would this had caused us to change our plans? No. If I had booked Upper Class - definitely.
Will I travel with them again - absolutely! I have to say the crew did brilliantly to deal with the petty complaints they encountered.

Reviewed 19 November 2018

Nice to be back on Virgin , have tried others on this route but have found Virgin
the best. See you again soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2018

I know that when you fly economy you get the worst seats on the plane but the comfort of the seats on the JFK to Heathrow route is ridiculous. What they have clearly done, to make room for their economy delight seats, is ram as many standard economy seats in to the left over space as possible. I’m no Goliath, 6’3’, but if you’re over 5’8’ forget about squeezing in. The most uncomfortable long haul flight I have ever experienced. These seats should not recline either, there just isn’t enough room. When the seat in front of me went back I felt as if I were pinned in my seat. I was on the aisle, because the seat was so narrow my arm was constantly getting rammed by food trolleys or ignoramuses stomping up and down the aisle oblivious to their fellow passengers.

Date of travel: November 2018
1  Thank Ivdm
Reviewed 18 November 2018

Outbound it is a long haul with good food and drinks . A little cramped to sleep but entertainment superb. Daylight outside but you would not know it through ruled out windows.
Inbound to LHR very "stage managed" by crew. Fed soon after take off and then cabin shut down to sleep mode. They do come around with soft drinks and water when hopefully most are asleep. A hot cloth and light breakfast produced when you are about to go over Ireland . If you cannot sleep entertainment system and flight location available on TV. I think I got 2 hours sleep on the 9+ hour flight. Bring snacks and an empty water bottle to refill at the airport at LAX and LHR. LAX is a little limited.