“Long, Basic, Cold but CHEAP!”
Review of Xiamen Airlines

Reviewed 12 January 2019

Normally I fly China airlines when I go to Bali but was late buying ticket and prices sky rocketed due to Chinese New Year so I desperately looked at anything and settled for a 33 1/2 hour flight on Xiamen Airlines. I had never heard of the airlines and was wary of the time and 12+ hour lay over in Xiamen. Then I started to read reviews and got a little more worried - but then researched Xiamen and it looked like a pretty interesting city so I went for it. I got a very reasonable ticket. The airline is no frills, I didn't eat the food because I am a vegetarian and wasn't given an option on food when I bought my ticket - but I find eating airline food is hazardous anyway so I packed well. The flight attendants were nice with great modern /retro uniforms. I have to admit I slept through most of it. The bathrooms could use a bit more up keep and the seats couldn't be smaller. Tall people be sure and get aisle so at least you can stretch your legs. I guess in a pinch I would take the flight again. The layover in Xiamen was long so I left the airport and got a hotel for 1/2 day - it was worth it except for the cab ride where I was scammed out of $75...another review coming - careful on that is you leave - maybe you negotiate the cost before you go - hard to do if you cant speak language.. Anyway the other thing is you have to leave the terminal and get a 24 hour temporary visa - its no big deal - just another line with confused travelers to meet and there is very little direction in the airport on where to go and how to get there and its somewhat hard to communicate but that's part of the fun right? So if you got two days, patience and a sense of humor this is the airline for you!

Date of travel: January 2019
5  Thank Jessica L

Reviewed 10 January 2019

I am SOOOO excited about Xiamen Air (Business Class 787-8/9)....I am half way through a LAX-XMN-SYD-return trip. I seriously can't say enough. BEYOND perfect service, something I would imagine on a first-class suites trip with other airline(s)....SUITES...no misspelling...and you know what I mean. It reminds me of Air NZ when they first introduced their lay-flat seating, perfection and you knew they were striving to be top-dog....which they nearly are, years later and every year. Xiamen Air are PERFECT in all categories other than perfection of English...which you do know, they ARE Chinese....still...we got by...other than them giving me extra drinks I didn’t order. :-) I drank them....

Great cocktail list. Great food and menus. My empty glasses never stood chance, either they were refilled IMMEDIATELY or taken away, IMMEDIATELY....same with plates after eating. If you looked like you MIGHT need something, they were there asking/offering you/it.

Something really weird; EVERY TIME I went to the bathroom, the toilet paper ALWAYS had a folded triangle at the end, ALWAYS. Obviously they were ALWAYS clean. I really think they clean them after EVERY visit.

One more thing that is “weird”, all layovers > 6 hours, THEY PUT YOU UP IN A 5 star HOTEL in Xiamen...Xiamen Langham Place....Insane!!!! THANK YOU Xiamen Air, for being different.

My last trip with a Chinese carrier was not so good, other than lay-flat seating....China Southern. They really did just throw you in the back and you had to come up for any requests.

The only problem I can think of is, Internet speed was horrendous...I guess they haven’t figured out how to drag a fiber optic cable behind them and are still reliant on satellite...I can’t believe anyone can complain about internet speed on a PLANE....YOU ARE ON A PLANE!!!!

Good going Xiamen Air!!!! Thanks for pleasant flights and everything in between.

Flights MF801/830/802/829...haven't completed 802/829 as of this writing.

Date of travel: December 2018
2  Thank willworknow
Reviewed 10 January 2019

We book round trip from HCM to Shanghai with 252 usd.
our experience is great: Legroom is perfect, food is delicious, cabin is clean and cabin crew is superb. This is the best airlines i ever used.

Date of travel: January 2019
1  Thank thaihoas3
Reviewed 4 January 2019

Travelled with Xiamen Airlines from Singapore(SIN) to Xiamen(XMN) in Dec 2018. The flight was to Dalian, via Xiamen.

Budget Airline which offers conventional services e.g. food, in-flight entertainment (shared).

Facilities e.g. lavatories are user-friendly, shared amongst a large group of passengers.

Service is good. Friendly cabin crew.

- Traveller Tee Peng Chun

Date of travel: December 2018
1  Thank teepengchun
Reviewed 29 December 2018

i traveled in november 2018 from Shanghai to Shenzhen to Xiamen Airlines.
First : we arrived on time in Shenzhen :-)
2. a brand new 737.
3. in a les than 3 hour flight i get a menu wath was ok and 4 beers - thanks guys for the good service.
4. the crew was really friendly only the captain turn on the seat belt sign to early by a little bit of shaking (turbulence).

Date of travel: November 2018