Villa Renaissance
Le Vele Resort(Providenciales)
Grace Bay Suites(Providenciales)
Point Grace(Providenciales)
View Hotel
Club Med Turkoise, Turks & Caicos(Grace Bay)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
The Sands at Grace Bay(Providenciales)
Ocean Club West(Providenciales)
Grace Bay Club(Providenciales)
View Hotel
All reviewsthrough vrboallied managementsuite margaritagrocery storerented unitwithin walking distancecoco bistroparticular unitmanagement companyfull kitchengrace bay beachthai orchidrented a carfirst floorpoolside barrestaurants and shopschalk sound
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Just got back from our first trip to Turks & Caicos and followed the advice of TripAdvisor's reviews, which had La Villa Renaissance ranked #1 in customer satisfaction. Our travel agent had recommended The Sands at Grace Bay, but we went against her wishes and booked with VR and we are sure glad we did.

As this was a special occasion (10 year anniversary trip) and this was the first time in many years we had been able to get away by ourselves (young children), we wanted to splurge and booked a deluxe ocean-front room (1 bedroom). The room was not cheap, but in the end, worth it for us.

When we arrived, Celo greeted us and set us up with a free drink from the bar as we took in the view of the hotel and beautiful blue pool. They showed us to our room and we were really impressed. They actually put us in a 2-bedroom (second bedroom with 2 twin beds) but that was fairly irrelevant to us. The suite in itself was beautiful: Granite counter tops in the well-equipped kitchen, tile floors everywhere, and very nice furniture that left my wife thinking that we should consider decorating our own place in a similar style.

The balcony was amazing, with a perfect view in what felt like the center of Grace Bay. One almost felt as if all of the other buildings on grace bay were bowing inwards towards ours. When I go away, I want a room that is nice enough that you don't feel like you have to be outside of it to be enjoying your trip, and this was perfect. The place was so nice, we cooked our own dinner at home several evenings and in the evenings we read on the balcony while listening to the ocean. The sliding doors leading to the balcony were 4 sliding doors interconnected, so if you wanted to you could open them all, exposing an entire wall wide open to the ocean. The entire suite was very spacious, and we felt at home the entire time. In fact, quite often we felt better than being at home.

Shareen and Celo (the front managers) were extremely pleasant and helpful the entire time. At one point, Shareen coaxed out of me that it was our 10 year anniversary and she was almost angry that we had not told her sooner. She told me there would be a surprise waiting for us the next day. This was just a trick of course, because what she actually did was send someone to our room while we were talking to her at the pool bar. They covered the bed in flower petals, left romantic anniversary poems on the beds and a bottle of chilled champagne was there as well.

The king sized master bed was very comfortable, and we took to it right away. The television was standard issue, no high-definition which would have been nice, but in the end that isn't the reason you go to Turks and Caicos. It was nice to have, however, on those nights we wanted to crash and watch some late night TV from the living room or bedroom, or tune in for a weather report.

The entire staff was very polite, and I was somewhat surprised at the size of the staff considering it was still low season. Every morning breakfast was made for us and delivered to the room at a time of our choosing. Every day the room was cleaned and left spotless, from the kitchen sink to the bathrooms. Every evening someone came by for turn down service and left mint chocolates on the bed. Even the maintenance staff said a friendly hello whenever we passed by. I appreciated the effort as well, because at times you could see that the worker was busy and not quite in the mood to be friendly based on what they were doing, but they always stopped regardless of this and smiled and said hello.

The pool was beautiful and I took to swimming laps whenever I could find the time. The beach was immaculate (although this is par for the course in Grace Bay). All of the guests we came across were friendly and laid back. Not the type of crowd you might see at Club Med or packed little cattle on the Beaches catamaran (which some of the locals like to call a "Cattle-Maran").

The bar at the pool was a bit low key and simple (although attractive and well stocked), especially during the day times before the regular bartender was on hand. If you are into the big fancy tropical frozen drinks with fruit and umbrellas and other people at the bar laughing, this may not be the place for you. They can make frozen drinks with a blender, but it's standard stuff. This is far more laid back, with the bar often being empty, which honestly was fine for my wife and I.

The other potential negative is the lack of a restaurant on the property. We were told that they had a restaurant opening any day, but we honestly did not see anything that looked like a restaurant ready to open. Perhaps it was being built at the adjacent property (the Regent), which is owned by the same company. Either way, my wife and I knew this going in and we were OK with it. We wanted to try different places because the island is loaded with amazing eateries, and right across the street there are several, including a cafe & diner if you want traditional breakfast instead of the continental one that is provided free.

Lastly, the gym was clean and quaint, although too small for my taste. About the size of a large bedroom, with about 6-8 pieces of equipment - the basics were there: dumbbells, elliptical, cycle, treadmill. It could become crowded quick, however, if being used by more than 1 or 2 people at one time.

My wife also sampled the spa services, and had a massage and a facial, both of which she said were very good and reasonably priced.

The hotel is located very close to a number of shopping plazas, with everything from cheap to fancy merchandise. This is by no means a shopping meca, but there are some nice shops there if the bug strikes you.

They also had wifi by the pool, which was nice (although it had a very weak signal and only worked at one end of the pool) and no internet access of any kind from the rooms.

I would absolutely recommend this place for a couple (or family) looking for a quiet, clean and beautiful accommodation with friendly staff abundant.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WeCouldUseOne
Reviewed 22 November 2009

We had the most amazing time at Villa Renaissance for our honeymoon. We could not have asked for anything better.
Hotel - Very quiet and peaceful. The grounds and the room were immaculate. We stayed in a pool/garden suite, which was very nice, but next time we will splurge for the beachfront room, because the beach is to die for. The water is the most beautiful blue color and the beach is so nice and hardly anyone on it.
Service - Wonderful. The minute we got there, Shareen told us to drop our bags and they would take care of everything. They gave us each a drink to start our honeymoon! They decorated our bed every night with flowers and towel animals. Everyone who worked there was so friendly and accommodating, from the women who cleaned our room every day, to the woman who provided turn down service every evening, and everyone in between. The front desk was awesome. Shareen and Celo were so great and so helpful. They helped with reservations, cab rides, excursions, and anything else we needed. We really couldn't have asked for two more friendly and helpful ladies to greet us each morning and evening. Clifton the bartender was great too! There was always a friendly person to chat with and tell you something new about Turks and Caicos.
Excursion - We did Caicos Dream Tours and we had a blast. They take you on a boat around the bay, you snorkel for a bit, then dive for conch. Then they make you fresh conch salad right on the boat. Plenty of water, soda, beer and rum punch too! The trip starts around 9 am and goes until about 1 pm, and they will pick you up and drop you off on the beach right in front of the hotel. Ask the front desk for info, they will set it up for you.
Restaurants - We ate at a bunch of different places, and we loved every meal. Coco Bistro, Bay Bistro, Mango Reef, and Caicos Cafe were all great and within walking distance (about 10-15 minutes on the beach or the road, which we felt safe on at night). Magnolia was our favorite place for dinner, and that is a short cab ride away. Da Conch Shack is also a must go, also a cab ride. It is a really fun casual place right on the beach with the best conch dishes and fun live music on Thursdays. Pizza Pizza is a good place for quick take out too. There is the Saltmills Cafe right across the street from the hotel that had a quick and great lunch. They also have breakfast and dinner, but we never ate there for those meals.
Grocery shopping - The IGA is about 5 minutes walking from the hotel. Good place to get food (we had breakfast and lunch in the room almost every day) for the kitchen and alcohol, once you get over the sticker shock. Everything is a bit expensive, but certainly not as much as other reviewers have stated. It is still much cheaper than eating out 3 meals a day. We found that the beer was alot more expensive, but the liquor seemed to be cheaper than back in the States.
Cabs - We used Elwood from Super Seven Taxi. He drove us around quite a bit during the week, very nice and very reliable. Ask the front desk for his number.
We LOVED our stay, would recommend to anyone looking to get away from it all and have the most relaxing time. We plan to come back just as soon as we can.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovestotravel1713
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The kitchen is fully equipped including microwave, blender and toaster as well as stove, fridge/ freezer, dishwasher, washer & dryer. Plus they have laundry detergent in the room. I would recommend bringing spices from home (ie seasoning for chicken & seafood). The spices at the grocery store are very expensive. We walked to the Graceway Gourmet grocery store which is a little more than 5 minute walk from the hotel and stocked up on food and wine. They have a large selection of wine and some liquor. The hotel also has bicycles you can use for FREE. You could ride to the grocery store everyday and bring back a small bag of stuff. Please note they do not let you take the bicycles past 6 pm because you can't ride them when it gets dark. You can use them to go out to lunch too. We rented a car the last night from Avis (across from Graceway Gourmet). They will pick you up from the hotel. It was around $45 including taxes. We used it to drive to the Conch Shack. It is a fun casual restaurant set right on the beach. (I believe Thursday night they have live music). We watched the men crack the conch shells right by our table. Then we used the car to drive back to the airport the next day.

The one thing I would recommend is that you book all of your excursions the first day you arrive. We waited and ended up not being able to do some things because they were booked up or had limited days they were running the activities. We did the Silver Deep 3 hour snorkel trip with a stop to Iguana Island. They pick you up at the hotel for free. We saw a reef shark when we were snorkeling. I would recommend this trip which is around $80 ?? a person. I would have liked to have tried "Snuba". Snuba divers breathe underwater by means of a 20 foot air line which is connected to a standard scuba tank. You don't have to be certified to do it. But we waited too long to book the Snuba and we were out of luck.

We were very pleased with the hotel and would return in a heartbeat.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravel119
Reviewed 29 September 2009

My wife and I stayed in Unit 501 for our one year anniversary. It was.....AMAZING. We rarely talk about going back to places, but we'll definitely go back to T&C. The highlights:
- The room - Susan's unit is perfect for a long weekend or a weeklong vacation. It perfect for a couple to get away from it all.
- The pool - amazing details...the tile is beautiful.
- The beach and water - felt like you were on a private island. Our favorite beach on the island was right in front of the property.
- The location - many restaurants, shops and a grocery store within walking distance

The only thing we didn't like was our Sail Provo trip. The snorkeling was bad and the weather was too shaky to sail. Not much of a trip (but not really their fault). The food on the island is pretty amazing too. Our favorites were Coco Bistro, Parrallel 23 and O'Soleil. Hemmingway's and Tiki Hut were so so. We also hit up the casino one night. They'll provide free transportation if you don't have a car.

One other note: VR and there sister property the Regeant Grand are planning to open a hotel. If it's as nice as these two properties then folks traveling there in the future are in for a treat.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DonnieKat
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My trip to Turks and Caicos was fantastic. The Villa Renaissance was superb. The grounds and location were perfect. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful. The workers as well as the other guest made my friends and I feel like family. The beach and the pool were warm and inviting. I have traveled to many carribean islands and Turks and Caicos ties with Aruba as one of the best places to go. At the Villa Renaissance you can puchase a condo and if I had the money I would buy one and allow all of my family to share in that wonderful experience. I promise myself I will be going back to the Villa Renaissance within the next 2 years. It has a 5 star rating to me.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple