“Warm & friendly home from home.”
Review of The Loco

The Loco
The Loco
Ranked #2 of 2 Haxey B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here with my wife for a couple of nights and found the hotel to be well equipped, clean and inviting. Haxey is a good place to stay if you want to explore the surrounding area and avoid the congestion of bigger towns.

The staff were very down to earth and quite happy to give advice on local attractions. The food service was great. We especially enjoyed our cooked breakfasts and would recommend the Indian takeaway service.

In closing, I would say that the Loco is very good value for money. It's not a high end establishment but certainly not the usual run down affair you often expect for this price. It's well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had a do in the area and in the evenings we meet in the loco. This year i chose to stay over in the loco, the only thing i regret is not doing it last year. the rooms are really comfortable and well facilitated (yes they are smaller than a hotel room as it is an old pub what do you expect !!) I was shown the facilities in the rooms by the staff you don't get that anywhere. The meal and more importantly the ale was second to none. I had to be up early to leave so they cooked my breakfast early thank you Karen for that!

a perfect pub in a perfect part of the world cheers Ziggy and Karen...

Room Tip: Ring direct and talk to Karen or Ziggy they are lovely...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Loco, from first view, looks like an ordinary village pub. However, once met by the very friendly hosts, Ziggy and Karen, you soon realise that there is much more to this place than a bar with stone-flagged floor and real ale.

The room, number 5, is not large but well provided with tea-making facilities, hairdryer and ample wall sockets. The ensuite, clean and modern, looks to be the result of a recent refurbishment. As does the rest of the accommodation area with an expensive looking disabled lift to the upper floor.

The inn contains a restaurant and this is where the surprise is complete. The extensive menu shows a full range of Indian cuisine as well as traditional English choices. The Indian food came as a treat for my wife, who is a Coeliac. For many years, we have considered Indian food as a gluten free option when dining out but, with Ziggy's help, we are now confident in what to ask for at other Indian restaurants.

So, from anticipation in the first place, to a warm feeling of having chosen well at the end of a two-night stay, we now know our choice was the right one. Oh, as a foot note, The Loco might prove a place of interest to the steam train enthusiast!

Room Tip: We are certain that your hosts would not refuse your request to view rooms available.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I previously stayed at the hotel for one night on my own in December 2011 and wrote that it was wonderful and I hoped to get back sometime. I returned this time with my wife for two nights in summer and had an even better time.

Our room was clean and well prepared and though not a particularly large room, it was easily big enough for two with a large and comfortable bed. We did get some noise intrusion from the main road (including an early beer delivery) and we were aware of other guests in adjacent rooms but nothing that would prevent me from returning.

The two big evening meals, from the Indian menu, were excellent and I was finally able to show my wife that I had not been exaggerating about the massive size of the tasty naan bread.

While there is no outside seating, there are plenty of vey comfortable settees and armchairs in the pub section to relax.

As I mentioned in my last review, the hosts are friendly and helpful and genuinely nice people.

I hope my business takes me up to this area again so that I can again enjoy the relaxed comfort and hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Lucky enough to live a couple of miles away from Haxey. Friends recommended the Indian Food, freshly prepared and cooked by the landlord Ziggy. Food is fantastic and huge portions. Very attentive and pleasant waiting staff. Bar area is well kitted out with sofas and the dining room is relaxing and nicely decorated.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

First Impressions Meet and greet 7 No hospitality tray were shown the room and tv, were left to fetch Our own luggage and helped as an afterthought by the proprietor.
The Room 7 adequate for 1 but crowded for 2 , narrow beds inadequate wardrobe space .and storage facilities for luggage, FIRE ASSEMBLY POINT MISSING OFF FIRE INSTRUCTIONS. No chairs ito sit on. Ensuite facilities 8 very good but there was no showermat or handgrips so didn't use shower light switches only accessible from 1 bed.
Bar and Restaurant 9 Bar and waiting staff very attentive excellent English menu limited but good drinks reasonable price,. Breakfast Very Good.
Alex Wolverhampton

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alexander M
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked with late rooms as needed a bed in the area for 2 nights.What a lovely place to stay.The owner was on holiday but Steve was superb!!Nothing was too much trouble and he encouraged talk with the regulars and other guests.We had a twin room which had a massive bathroom and was suitable for a disabled person in a wheelchair.The room had the benefit of air conditioning.The breakfast was ample and we were offered extra tea/toast /coffee without having to ask.Unfortunately the restaurant was closed but we were able to eat locally

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrsdRedcar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haxey
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Corringham
Ye Olde Red Lion
Ye Olde Red Lion
#115 of 194 in York

Been to The Loco? Share your experiences!