“Repeat stay - Fabulous”
Review of Invershin Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Invershin
Invershin Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Invershin
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Repeat stay - Fabulous”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

First stayed at 'The Invershin' over a year ago and fell in love due to it's location, warm cosy atmosphere, good wholesome food, and that splendid welcome.
Back then they had taken over and inprovements were ongoing but they always give you the best they have.

This isn't a Hilton Hotel style. If it were I wouldn't have stayed. This place has tremendous character.

So I am delighted to update having just had another short break there. It is the just perfect location for all things Sutherland. The upgrade has progressed greatly.
I just love the fact that reply to my question of When is Dinner? was When do you want it.
Some northern Hotels can be tight ship timescaled with little flexibility. Not The Invershin.
Angus and Cheryl have a can do attitude. They are young and investing in a long term future and take your visit seriously.
My room matched their welcome. I love log fires and the bar is very well stocked.
I commented on how much I enjoyed the black pudding which was included in my cooked breakfast. It had been supplied locally and they kindly said goodbye as I was leaving gifted me a full huge black pudding with compliments. (The marmalade is home made too - mouth watering)

I will be back up gain this Autumn and have something to look forward to.

I have read some reviews about pricing. I know this area well and they are fair priced. Things are more expensive far North. Everything that gets delivered is subject to unfair Courier charges that the rest of Mainland UK take for granted. (Hope this in some way helps to explain)
I just loved the live Scottish music in the log fired bar.
Fantastic.

Room Tip: My room was at the front above the main entrance
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RestReviewer2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

To be clear, I enjoyed my stay at the Invershin Hotel because it was well located for my purposes and Cheryl, one of the owners, was quite welcoming. The price performance ratio, however, is not on a par with most of the places I've stayed in the UK. It's very expensive for what it is, which is basically a small bar with rooms.

Our room was clean and spacious, but our traveling companion had a tiny single. We were warned it was tiny, so fair enough, I suppose. But it also had some mold in the bathroom.The tea trays lacked even long-life milk and the towels were small and thin. Too small and too thin. The bed looked lovely but our backs hurt by morning. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't on a par with comparably priced places we've stayed recently.

As to meals, there's not really a dinner menu. There are a couple of choices. Cheryl will let you know what they are, and Angus prepares them. The food was fine, if pricey at £10 or so for mince and tatties. Portions, however, were huge. There's a good selection of beer and ales, and the atmosphere is warm and friendly.

Breakfast appeared to be a bit skimpy as the full Scottish goes. One tiny bite of bacon, one lone egg, and for those of us not interested in the whole array of tomatoes, mushrooms, saussage, and unable to eat wheat so no toast, that's really not adequate for £45 per person per night. Also, we were never told what time or where breakfast would be. Then the morning we left, we had to depart before 8 AM, so Cheryl left bread and cereal out for us, but there was no reduction of cost--and again, with celiac disease, the bread and cereal didn't give me any options. No yoghurt. No fruit.

Had we paid £10-15 less per person per night, we'd have been satisfied with the Invershin Hotel. There's a haphazard charm to Cheryl and Angus and their young family that we loved. They were friendly and helpful, for the most part, if a bit ambiguous about specifics like when breakfast would be. The location is pretty, and the hotel itself has a lovely sitting room. The bar is cozy and friendly. But the facilities and level of service don't warrant the expense.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Coddrick
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

The room was delightful and the welcome was great. Our bikes nestled together in the wood shed. The menu was limited but they were happy to cater for a vegetarian. A happy relaxed place to stay with lovely scenery.

• Stayed September 2013
invershin h, Owner at Invershin Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thankyou som much for your lovely review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would hope to see you back here again one day.
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Nice venue and rooms but expensive at 90 pounds....dropped to 80 for a light breakfast. Arrived with a cycling group..soaking wet..not allowed to use tumble driers! Dinner choice of mince and mash or macaroni cheese and chips and at a designated time...cost 9.50 for the serving. Charged extra 2 pounds for using credit card. Next morning, no hot water, heating or wifi...turned off at bedtime?? Tough on the cyclists with a big fundraising trip ahead of them. Shame. Great place if less penny pinching and more customer service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Avis M
Thankyou for your review. Firstly I'd like to apologise that it would appear there were a few things that you were not happy about during your recent stay with us, however we would like to respond to a few things you mentioned in your review. Our room prices have been the same since 2010, when we took the hotel over and renovated and updated all the rooms. These prices are reflective of all the other B&B's and hotels of similar standard in the area, and as you stated, when you decided not to have a full breakfast, a discount was applied to your room. As a small hotel, I am unable to offer laundry services to large parties - i only have one washing machine and one tumble drier! However, when any of our cyclist guests are unfortunate enough to arrive wet, then they are able to take over the hotel, using the radiators and open fire to dry off any wet garments and shoes- not a problem at all! The £2 card charge is pretty standard these days, and is something that we unfortunately have had to start doing to cover the rising charges we face as a small business in order to provide this facility. You talked about a designated time for dinner? We simply ask any big parties what time they would like their dinner served so we can have it ready for them, and this would have been the same for yourselves.
Please accept our sincere apologies if there was no hot water or heating in the morning, the heating is on timed, but I am unsure why there would have been no hot water at your wash hand basin so I'm sorry if this is the case. With regards to the wi-fi not working in the morning - we certainly dont switch it off, unfortunately due to our quite remote location in the highlands we dont get a very good signal, and if many people are trying to log on, then it crashes. There is not a lot I can do about it I'm afraid, and we do not charge guests for using the wi-fi. I hope this answers some of your comments.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

12 of us were doing the Lands End to John O' Groats cycle and booked into Invershin Hotel for our last nights stay. Although the people were very helpful and friendly were felt we were ripped off with the price for food, beverages and accommodation. The conversation i had previously with the owners with regards to the price was far from what we saw on our final bill. Charging somebody £25 to sleep in a bunk bed and £90 for an average twin room is a bit steep!!! Although the food and drinks were good in the evening it was extremely expensive and left us feeling a bit downhearted after cycling 900 miles to get there.

Room Tip: don't pay over the odds to sleep in a bunk bed
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Graeme D
I would like to say how upset I was to read your rather unfair review of your recent stay with us, and there are a few of your comments that I must address. Firstly, the price to stay in our bunkhouse is £20.00 per head and has been since we made it in 2011. When we researched bunkhouse rates, we found people are paying between £17.50 and £25.00, so we are in the middle. The extra £5 your party paid per head was for a light breakfast you all had in the morning. You dont mention that in your review. I am surprised that you have said this was not what was discussed over the phone, as it was myself who spoke to you and I would have not told you any other price. The majority of your party paid in total £34.50 per head for a bed, hot shower, breakfast in the morning, and a hearty homecooked meal (which you say in your review was good, along with the beer served in our bar). If you find this overpriced then please accept my apologies, but to use the term 'ripped off', I find very harsh, upsetting, especially when you enjoyed the food and our bar. We are a young couple with a young family, who work incredibly hard to keep our business going and do our very best to offer all our guests an enjoyable, unique and welcoming experience when they stay with us.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 July 2013

It may look a wee bit run down outside but DONT be deceived....we got a lovely, friendly, warm reception in the Invershin Hotel when we stayed recently and a beautifully appointed room with views of the river- it is well worth a visit. It was a great delight to see this hotel beginning to climb its way back up to the comforting place I first visited over forty years ago on an early youth hostelling trip round Scotland. On that note, it is sad that the neighbouring Youth Hostel, Carbisdale, is currently closed. Hopefully SYHA will be able to raise the funds to reopen this wonderful alternative accommodation in an area that most certainly would benefit . Good luck to Innes' mum and dad in their bold venture!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LibbyEH10
Thankyou so much for taking the time to write your lovely review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed meeting our little baby boy Innis. Unfortunately, Carbisdale is still closed, and is looking very unlikely to be opening again, which is a real blow for us. We hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

When we first drove up to the Hotel it looked closed, but rang the door bell and got a very warm welcome from the owner..We were shown to our our room and was very pleased, the decor was lovely and we loved the view of the river and castle, When we went down to the bar for our meal there was a lovely log fire blazing, very friendy staff and the friendly owners dog. There was good choice of beers from a small local brewery and very good freshly cooked food. which is locally sourced were possible even the beautiful jam at breakfast was made by a lady who lives just down the road. We enjoyed our 3 nights stay here as everyone including the locals make you feel welcome.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thankyou so much for your review and I'm glad that you came into the hotel to see what we have done inside! We are still very much a work in progress and have started from the inside out, we do hope to get round updating the outside of the hotel in the near future. We hope to see you back again one day when we have lovely new big windows in our conservatory!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Invershin
Lairg Highland Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dornoch
Kincraig Castle Hotel
Kincraig Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Invergordon

Been to Invershin Hotel? Share your experiences!