“Sunday Lunch”

The White Horse Pub
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Ditchling
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, England, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I had a lovely Sunday lunch here with my family (who can be fussy). The place was packed but the staff still managed to be friendly and efficient. The food was perfect; I couldn't fault it and the log fires added to the great atmosphere.

1 Thank Miss_Rose_Anne

Albourne, United Kingdom
“Excellent place, deserves to be more than a pub and gluten free friendly”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

This pub was recommended by a friend and I will be recommending to my friends. The barmaid last night was absolutely rushed off her feet but the service was above and beyond. What a credit to the pub she is!!! The food was spot on and they were more than happy to cater for me with gluten free alternatives and I didn't feel like I was going with out like I normally do when i eat out. Four of us ate and were all very happy with the whole experience. A little on the expensive side....but very much worth it.

2 Thank Emma H
Lincolnshire
“Enjoyable Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Took Sunday lunch in this father and son run pub. Our warm welcome was further enhanced by the smell of the log fire just inside the front door and we were shown to our table by the son who proved to be an excellent host. Mindful of our expanding waists, we decided to miss the starters of which there was a choice of about six. We ordered two roast beef (both cooked exactly as we had ordered), one chicken and a pork in cider. All came with a good selection of vegetables included which is not always the case these days! For sweets, there was slight disappointment that the crumble had sold out, but at least this proved that its not out of the freeze! Instead we chose a sticky toffee pudding, a lemon tart and two 'bakewells' which were moist and clearly made from ground almond rather than essence (properly, in other words!!). All the dishes were home made and both well executed and presented. We finished with four tasty filter coffees and a request from my mother-in-law for cream was fulfilled with no hassle even though only milk was offered on the menu. All the team we came into contact with were efficient and friendly. If I had one negative it would be that we were a tad cold inspite of the open fire and log burner - maybe they should have been lit a little earlier. Nevertheless, I'm sure we shall be back when we are next in the area.

1 Thank The-Moles
Caergwrle, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stumbled on by accident during a wander around the area. A great find; a comfortable traditional pub serving excellent food. Two open wood fires, locals popping in and out, very friendly staff. Very good menu, and the food we three had was fresh, home made, and in quantity.
The White Horse has gone straight into the satnav and will be the standard stop for us all when in the area.
Why are there so few pubs like this any more? They prove that it works, and it is a joy.

• Visited January 2014
London
“Great Sunday lunch in Sussex”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I visited this great pub with three friends today. There's a very welcoming atmosphere with an open fire and busy bar area. Our reserved table was a little noisy but they were quite happy for us to move to a quiet area. We only had mains and coffee. The choice was limited (it was a Sunday lunch) and we all had a roast of some kind. Everyone was very happy with their choices - best pub roast I've had in a long time. I washed it down with a very good Sussex beer from the bar. Service was friendly and attentive. I would definitely go again if in the area.

• Visited January 2014