“Small, average tasting portions that are FAR too expensive”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #3 of 7 Restaurants in Ditchling
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2014

5 of us had arranged to have a roast here. If we'd known it was £13 for a roast we wouldn't have bothered arranging to meet there. But we were there and since the food had looked ok when we had been there previously, we went with it and ordered anyways. The roasts arrived and were ABSOLUTELY tiny! We were kind of waiting for the rest of the veg to come out, but upon inspection of the plate, saw that everything it stated on the menu, was on the plate (Albeit very minimally). The entire meal was smaller than what you would expect as an average size starter you'd pay £5 for. It would have cost the pub about 15p more per diner to serve them more veg and would make for a much more satisfying meal. We let the waitress know we weren't too happy and she said ''ok I'll pass the message on''. Then had the cheek to bring out and offer us dessert menus. Alot of people might go for dessert as they'd still be starving after the meal but I'm imagining you'd be paying £7-£9 for a tiny nibble of a dessert. The meal was also cold although tasted okish. The portion sizes were if they're trying to lean towards the fine dining look, which is not what you go to a pub to eat. Overall a very disappointing meal and will definitely not be eating there again.

3  Thank Morgsjh

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Met friends (locals) for lunch recently. The pub has a nice feel with good beers (Harveys of Lewes and Timothy Taylor Landlord) and friendly staff. Plenty of space outside when the weather is good and an eclectic mix of furniture inside. Menu is interesting and well presented but you have to be honest, not cheap (soup of the day, pea & mint, very nice, but £6!). Worth a visit but expect to pay London prices.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is the first time we have been in here in the evening for a long time. It always was a busy local pub and the Thursday evening we were in it was very busy and it took a little while to get a table. Staff were helpful and efficient, there were certainly plenty of them!
I wasn't overly impressed with the menu, a mixture of trying to be different with a couple of pub favourites, fish and chips, burgers. I had confit of lamb which was lovely, a little bit too much lamb but the veg were delicious. My husband had a burger and thought it was just boring, the fries were swimming in fat!
We had lunch in the garden a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Just a club sandwich but it was well done.
I'm sure we will be back in a 'it's on the way home and the food is on the better side of average' kind of way.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The pub has had a makeover and is very nice both inside and out and our meal was very nice but very very expensive. Fish and chips for £14

1  Thank ninnyjax
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I found the staff very friendly and efficient and despite being a Bank Holiday, was not too busy. I found a table straight away, not in the main bar, which I find too dark, but next door. The beefburger was excellent, served not on a plate, but on a platter, with chips in a bowl, which seems to be the trend. Very tasty, though a little tricky to tackle. At £11, I found that fairly reasonable. Being in the middle of Ditchling, everything is walking distance - the artist open houses and the museum.