“Disappointed”

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Booked to go here with family and had never been before.

Table was set perfectly with a jug of water and rolls for us.
Prices were high for what it was. Half got the carvery while others ordered from the menu. Don't think they expect people to order from the menu as the food was slow to get to us and when it did arrive, it was cold.
Also the food isn't served on plates which is ridiculous, especially when there is not enough room to put the slate or chopping board in front of you.

Waitresses would hold the plates with a cloth as they were hot yet they just plonked the plates and bowls down and expected us to place them directly in front of us, including my 6 year old niece!
Staff did not look like they wanted to be there, especially as there were so many of us.

Maybe when it isn't busy it would be nicer but I won't be finding out.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Melanie C

East Sussex
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great location, food and service”
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We had to book 2 weeks in advance for Sunday lunch but it was worth the wait, the food was excellent, beautifully laid out carvery with a tantalising smell that tickled the taste buds as we walked in.
The restaurant was busy but the service was very good and staff very attentive and polite.
We decided to book for lunch as we had short listed the golf club as a wedding venue for my son's wedding - it got the vote.

Visited February 2014
Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Would never cross the threshold again!”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My elderly mother booked a table at this golf club for lunch the Sunday before Christmas (6 seats). She was delighted to book it as a treat as her view was 'they always look after us'.

On the day, I was too ill to get out of bed, I felt like death, and so my mother called the golf club at 9am to cancel just my place, as her view was she couldn't let 'her golf club down' by canceling all seats. I had already ordered my meal in advance (just 2 courses) which was, for a main course, just a potato rosti with cheese ...... At the time of canceling, nobody mentioned my meal would still have be charged for. If they had, my mother would have invited along another of our numerous family.

After getting home from the lunch my mother re checked the invoice, something she glanced over when at the restaurant, as at nearly 80 years old she has old fashioned values and hates to appear to over scrutinize in front of her guests. She found that not only was my meal charged for, but that she was also charged for a second bottle of wine that was never had.

When she called the club it was clear they felt this was their advertised policy (not imparted to my mother who had booked by phone) and that they would prefer to lose her loyal custom than back down on their policy. In fact, when she said 'we will never come again' , their response was something in the vein of 'your choice'.

The most ridiculous thing was that my mother particularly wanted to take us to the club as she had decided to treat my two sons to membership - we have just returned to UK from France.

My mother is very hurt, but forgiving. I on the other hand would now never ever go the the club again, and I will NEVER allow my sons membership! What a way to treat a previously loyal client!

The old managing director, who has now sadly left and moved to Worthing, always treated my mother with respect! For me business is preserving your client relationships and this golf club has chosen to lose theirs for the cost of making a potato rosti!

Visited December 2013