“Very dissapointing .......”

Mid Sussex Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Ditchling
Reviewed 28 April 2014

As a golfer, it's always nice to visit new courses and at the same time, sample the food. Unfortunately, in this case, the food was very dissapointing. I had the delux burger which came with cheese and bacon and was served on a wodden plater (I guess this in todays market is supposed to be trendy. Why cant food just be served on ordinary plates. I would also question the health issues with these). The burger was tasteless throughout and the only saving grace was that there was some spiced sauce on the side. We also found the staff to be inattentive and lacking some professional training. It's a shame that we had such a bad experience as this sticks with you and we certainly wouldnt consider eating there again.

4  Thank PML49
in 3 reviews
"roast"
"lesson"

Reviewed 11 March 2014

A celebration within the family took us to the Mid Sussex Golf Club after high recommendation for the quality of food. We regularly get together for a meal for our Birthdays and try somewhere different each time and this was our first visit to this restaurant. Most of us selected the Sunday Carvery which was a selection of beef, pork, gammon or turkey plus a selection of beautifully prepared vegetables and suitable gravy/sauce to accompany. Two family members opted for fish and chips both stating it was the best they have had. The menu looked very good for other choices as well. I think the majority of the conversation after lunch was complimenting the chef and saying "we will come back here again". The waitress who served our table was charming and including our drinks, the total bill for 8 of us, was just over £120. I am looking forward to the next birthday!
Absolutely fantastic. Booking is essential

1  Thank S4Bunty
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Booked to go here with family and had never been before.

Table was set perfectly with a jug of water and rolls for us.
Prices were high for what it was. Half got the carvery while others ordered from the menu. Don't think they expect people to order from the menu as the food was slow to get to us and when it did arrive, it was cold.
Also the food isn't served on plates which is ridiculous, especially when there is not enough room to put the slate or chopping board in front of you.

Waitresses would hold the plates with a cloth as they were hot yet they just plonked the plates and bowls down and expected us to place them directly in front of us, including my 6 year old niece!
Staff did not look like they wanted to be there, especially as there were so many of us.

Maybe when it isn't busy it would be nicer but I won't be finding out.

1  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We had to book 2 weeks in advance for Sunday lunch but it was worth the wait, the food was excellent, beautifully laid out carvery with a tantalising smell that tickled the taste buds as we walked in.
The restaurant was busy but the service was very good and staff very attentive and polite.
We decided to book for lunch as we had short listed the golf club as a wedding venue for my son's wedding - it got the vote.

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My elderly mother booked a table at this golf club for lunch the Sunday before Christmas (6 seats). She was delighted to book it as a treat as her view was 'they always look after us'.

On the day, I was too ill to get out of bed, I felt like death, and so my mother called the golf club at 9am to cancel just my place, as her view was she couldn't let 'her golf club down' by canceling all seats. I had already ordered my meal in advance (just 2 courses) which was, for a main course, just a potato rosti with cheese ...... At the time of canceling, nobody mentioned my meal would still have be charged for. If they had, my mother would have invited along another of our numerous family.

After getting home from the lunch my mother re checked the invoice, something she glanced over when at the restaurant, as at nearly 80 years old she has old fashioned values and hates to appear to over scrutinize in front of her guests. She found that not only was my meal charged for, but that she was also charged for a second bottle of wine that was never had.

When she called the club it was clear they felt this was their advertised policy (not imparted to my mother who had booked by phone) and that they would prefer to lose her loyal custom than back down on their policy. In fact, when she said 'we will never come again' , their response was something in the vein of 'your choice'.

The most ridiculous thing was that my mother particularly wanted to take us to the club as she had decided to treat my two sons to membership - we have just returned to UK from France.

My mother is very hurt, but forgiving. I on the other hand would now never ever go the the club again, and I will NEVER allow my sons membership! What a way to treat a previously loyal client!

The old managing director, who has now sadly left and moved to Worthing, always treated my mother with respect! For me business is preserving your client relationships and this golf club has chosen to lose theirs for the cost of making a potato rosti!

5  Thank barneyquinn