“Pricey but a nice local pub”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ditchling
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Pricey but a nice local pub”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a good local pub with good quality local faire. Yes it's a bit overpriced but this is a desirable area which commands high property values and therefore you should expect slightly higher prices.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed for a single night while at a family wedding. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very comfortable with lovely antique furniture, our room could have done with a lick of paint, but nothing horrendous, if anything it added to its charm. Breakfast the following morning was excellent and all the way through the staff were courteous, friendly and very helpful.
You could argue that at £120.00 per room The Bull is a little expensive for a pub with rooms and I would have been happier with the £100.00 a room originally quoted in December. However I have paid a lot more for a lot less. We came away with the feeling that despite what we were charged, the staff were completely focused on making sure that we were comfortable and enjoyed our stay. A refreshing concept!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I am a local and have eaten at the bull many times. The menu is limited and very overpriced. Unfortunately they also seem to insist on serving small portions as though they are some kind of gastro pub. I would recommend the royal oak in poynings as far superior in all counts any day.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank JackSparrow_100
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We came here for Sunday lunch after a 6 mile walk across the downs from Lewes (walk is recommended!). It is fairly informal - they don't take bookings which was a bit of a worry on the first sunny Sunday ever but it is really quite a large pub and we easily found a good table and seated ourselves. You order at the bar. They have a range of starters which I thought were a little bit overly fancy and prettified and possibly a little overpriced. That is my only grumble though. Our roasts (lamb and pork) were really good, especially the pork which was succulent and crispy in all the right places. The range of beers on offer was good - I had a local ale which was refreshing and golden, which is how I like my ales to be.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 21 April 2013

A nice pub that has been fully gastro pub bed inside. It has a varied menu with some good sandwich choices as well as roasts and vegetarian options. The chips, with a choice of jenga or skinny, are great. Staff are friendly and service is prompt. Presentation is good. It's a little overpriced for what you get... Definitely charging at the top end of what they can get away with... But you will enjoy the food.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Popped here on the off chance of lunch. It was 4.30pm so didn't think we'd get food on a Sunday but were very pleasantly surprised.
Bar staff were friendly and very efficient as were the waiting staff.
The Sunday roasts were superb, I had the roast pork belly which was superb. Both meat and veg were beautifully cooked and didn't stay long on the plate, yummy!!
The big bonus was that our 2 dogs were allowed in the pub with us.
They have a large car park behind the pub with a garden and various patio seating areas.
The bar had a very good selection of ales, largers and ciders.
I drank very well kept Harveys.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The Bull at Ditchling was as near perfect as is possible. For a start Ditchling is probably one of the finest villages in Sussex in which to be based. I decided to take my parents away for a break and I don’t think it could have been more perfect. The staff was all incredibly friendly and attentive. On arrival we had lunch in the bar and within minutes crayons and drawing materials and a high chair were provided for my three nephews – we didn’t need to ask. The bar is a little dark; indeed my three year old commented ‘ooh its dark in here’ but that aside, the food was absolute perfection. The menu is honest, well done and incredibly well priced. If you need somewhere for Sunday lunch I cant think of a better place. Indeed, the bar, gardens and the whole venue were packed – testament to the Bull’s popularity and accomplished service and food. We had booked two rooms Indigo and Ruby. Both were beautifully and imaginatively finished with distinctive and personalized touches. Lovely décor, comfortable beds, fluffy pillows, first class amenities. The Indigo room might benefit from some repainting but otherwise it was flawless and I have to say spotlesslessly clean. Each room comes with a very well thought out reference book giving useful and practical guidance on local attractions and services. However, it states check in is at midday though we were told at the bar it was 3pm (possibly a small thing to address). I am not sure if due to the spate of cold weather the heating was on full blast, but the property was incredibly hot – including the bar. After a very pleasant walk around the village, we had a wonderful evening at their regular Quiz Night. Was excellently done, and I have to say the staff exhibit a level of commitment, passion and camaraderie which is sadly lacking in just about any other establishment I have visited. Again the food was excellent. Breakfast is a marvelous affair and both the Eggs Benedict and Full English are probably the best I have had for some time. The dedication to sourcing local produce pays off – its shows in presentation and taste. Frankly, this is probably one of the best small restaurants and hotels I have had the pleasure to stay in. At the time of writing, they are looking to find a new Head Chef – given the excellent food; I hope that the new chef maintains the impressive standard. However, seeing the love and passion that has gone into The Bull I have every confidence that this will not change.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditchling
Premier Inn Burgess Hill Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,567 reviews
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!