“Cute and cosy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ditchling
London, United Kingdom
“Cute and cosy”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I took my boyfriend here for an escape to the country for his birthday. We both absolutely loved the old 16th century building. We had a very warm welcome from the landlady and the huge inglenook open fire. Our room was so cosy and the bathroom was immaculate. The sheets were crisp and the bed so comfortable. Perfect for when we wanted to tuck ourselves up with one of the free DVDs they offer. The free sweeties by the bed were a very nice touch and kept my boyfriend very happy. They even replenished them the next morning. Dinner was lovely (if a little over priced) but service was fast and the girls behind the bar very friendly. Breakfast was amazing - a huge full english and endless cups of tea and coffee. The landlady was so friendly and couldn't have done more as a host. If you're looking for a romantic break in a little country village with a bit of history and the chance to do some walking on the South Downs this is the place for
you!

• Stayed November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 22 October 2013

What can I say, the behaviour of the staff was disgraceful!

I witnessed them lock a group of scouts and their parents in their car park ( in front of them!) impounding all their vehicles inside. The member of staff then refused to let them out, despite parents pleading with him, and left them stranded in the middle of the night.

I am appalled at the mean spirited nature of this and can safely say this establishment will not be enjoying my patronage again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank JPM21
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This is a busy and pleasant pub, with an excellent range of real ales including Harveys Best, Dark Star Hophead (my favourite), Dark Star Meltdown, and good Keg beers: Hepworths Lagers and Curious Black.
The breakfast was also good. My full English included perhaps the best tasting scrambled egg I have ever had.
However our double room and en-suite although perfectly comfortable and clean, was quite small without much hanging space or drawers. Worst of all, there were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room, which at £100/room/night was expected. Intead we had to buy it over the bar. I have had much better rooms for considerably less.
I did not eat here in the evening but I feel sure it would be OK, even if on the pricey side. If the beers had been listed on the website, I would have been more likely to dine here.
A little traffic and pub noise did not bother me, but staff clearing up noises downstairs well after the pub closed, did bother our friends in the next room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side may be quieter and larger but cost more.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blamb47
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

when we went to the bull we had a couple pints while waiting which were £9.80 for two pints which we were not told until they were poured!!!!!!, and we were starving so decided to eat, food was very expensive on menu but we were in ditchling! ordered a dish for my wife gnocchi i , or similar spelt, off the mains which was very nice but for £11.50 very little on the plate , I had buffalo burger for 13.00 and the bap was dry and when I lifted the lid the burger was very small, coleslaw had a dry film on top where it had been standing around a while. chips were nice.

come on the bull this is over charging the public for your position in ditchling,

based on overall experience, will not be returning!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robert s
Haywards Heath
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at The Bull on 22 June. Our dinner was really good, but the room was hopeless because of the noise from the pub beneath it. Not only was it noisy before the pub closed, but the bar staff were chatting loudly while they cleared up afterwards and we did not get any sleep until the small hours. The room was also pretty small and dingy. I told a member of staff about our problems sleeping the following morning and was told that other guests didn't usually have a problem with noise. There was no attempt to be sympathetic, apologise or to offer any recompense. We won't stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Restaurant Review. The location & setting are beautiful. The wine was decent. Sadly, the food was not. We ordered a burger (£15) & gnocchi (£10.50). The burger itself looked homemade, but was bland, with bland bun & fries that might have come from McDonalds. The gnocchi, advertised as being served with pesto, parmesan & roast tomatoes, were floury, cloying & bland, with smear of pesto. The tomatoes were fresh & delicious, but were in fact lightly fried & out of keeping with the dish - they would have sat more happily with some bacon. Portions were pretty small. At first I was disappointed, but in fact could not finish the gnocchi, it was so unpleasant. The food was apparently home cooked; but if you're going to justify these prices, it has to be better cooked than this. We'd have preferred unpretentious pub grub that wasn't pretending to be quality gastropub grub and failing fairly miserably.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is purely a review of the restaurant NOT the hotel but when looking for the bull as a restaurant on here I could only find the black bull and whilst I think they must be the same I am not 100%sure.

As the title says really, totally overpriced food and drinks, small portions. Not worth the money.

Had the arancini (risotto balls deep fried) to start for nearly £7 got 3 very small, not that tasty. We also had humous and bread for £5 which was a small bowl, a fairly big dollop of humous (didn't seem to be home made) and a tiny bit of bread cut into 5 fingers arranged very artfully around the bowl. More humous than bread so asked for a bit more bread.....then they charged another £1 for it!

Overall, nice setting, couldn't book so a bit hit and miss when turning up, bar was very busy, but the food wasn't great and everything was totally overpriced and in my opinion to worth it at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditchling
Premier Inn Burgess Hill Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,569 reviews
Best Western The Birch Hotel
Best Western The Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Haywards Heath

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!