“Very disappointing meal”
Review of The Bull

The Bull
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ditchling
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The bull is a lovely quaint put in Ditchling. Unfortunately it's food has gone down hill for a still inflated price. Real shame as we used to enjoy our regular stops in this pub.
I told staff I was very disappointed with the very average food and were not even given an apology so they get a zero for customer service too. Such a shame as I generally like this pub but will no longer return. We have given them the benefit of doubt too many times and tonight's meal was the final straw.

Room Tip: We did not stay here, can only judge their food.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank ClaireGibson
There are newer reviews for The Bull

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The backdrop of picture post-card Ditchling village no doubt underpins the fat premiums this pub charges for its humdrum bar meals. Fair enough, but when one of our mains turned out to be little more than a salad-in-a-bag, we complained - only to be confronted by a snooty manager who implied that those looking to fill their faces would be better served elsewhere. We have so totally got the message.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Mostlyprettylaidback
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My family and I had an evening meal at The Bull the other day for my partner's birthday. The pub was very dark, so dark in fact that we struggled to read the very uninspiring menu. two of us had lamb which was totally tasteless, my daughter had pasta with pesto from the children's menu which was priced at £8.00. I asked if she could have a slightly larger portion. When the pasta arrived it was overcooked and rubbery with virtually no sign of any pesto, for that I was charged £13.00. The other meals, fish and chips and a burger and chips were mediocre. I didn't complain because it would have further spoilt the evening. I will not go back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Lisaloulou10
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely and imaginatively decorated rooms, enthusiastic service and good breakfast.

Also decent evening meal, comfy bed, large tv and beautiful walks in surrounding area over the Sussex Downs.

Good for romantic escape!, and just over an hour from South London.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Room 1 just after the refurb and were seriously impressed with the quality and well thought out details. Everything from the lovely linens, thick dressing gowns to small flask of fresh milk in the fridge for the morning drinks impressed. I've stayed in many spa and boutique hotels for alot more money who haven't achieved this standard.

The morning was slightly eventful as an unfortunate chimney fire created an evacuation, but even during this the staff provided coffee!

10/10 to Molly and team. :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew P
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my mother and daughter for one night in February. The pub is lovely and quaint and the fires made it really homely. The staff are really friendly and helpful. We
ate lunch on arrival had a meal in the evening which was ample and tasty. The breakfast was okay. Service was excellent.
I have marked the hotel down because of the following:
1) Provision of tea and coffee is always standard in the UK, but all that was offered in the room was a bottle of water and sweets. We all like a cuppa after a day of walking and one in the morning before going down for breakfast. We had to buy tea for three people from the bar at £7.50 and take it upstairs. There was no indication on the website that tea and coffee was not provided in the room.
2) There were building works taking place at the hotel and scaffolding was erected all around. We were not warned on check in that on waking up that men would be walking outside our windows and could see directly into our rooms.
3) The rooms look nice on the surface, but the sofa was tatty. No lights near the big mirror, essential if no natural light.
4) The rooms only had large overhead showers and no baths. This is okay if you want to wash your hair all the time as no shower caps were provided.
5) Although the bedding and towels were clean and laundered there were cobwebs in the room and bathroom.
I expect rooms that you pay £120 and £100 for to be of a better standard, having stayed in many rooms in the UK in the past few years.
I complained to the hotel, they apologised and said that the rooms are being renovated!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank sucgr_epsom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

An absolutely brilliant weekend. From our arrival to our departure everything was lovely. The rooms was great (not massive but nice enough) and the bar and food was amazing. We ate in the restaurant side on the Friday night, next to the large inglenook fireplace and drank lovely beer (I love Darkstar beer) and wine and ate amazing food. very satisfied. On the Saturday we sat in the other side of the pub and that too is top notch.

The only downside was watching my team's performance in the FA cup from my room... but I guess I can't blame the staff for that. Though they could probably have played better!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ditchling
The Hickstead
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
Horsted Place
Horsted Place
#2 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to The Bull? Share your experiences!