“PERFECT nuff said”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
new york
“PERFECT nuff said”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

we just got back from palm island in the grenadines.we spent 7 nights on the island.when my wife told me we were going to an island that didnt have tv or phones in the rooms i was really hoping i hadnt made a wrong decision.then of course we started lookind at reviews online and as you all know you can always find the ones that really make you think you really picked the wrong place.complaints about bugs,about service,about room size and such.well i dont know who wrote any reviews with any negative comments at all about palm island in the grenadines,i have to think they went to a different palm island.from the minute we landed on barbados we were met by reps who guided us in every way.then after a short flight we were met on union island as well.the taken by golf cart to boat and brought to palm island.we were greeted with drinks and walked to our rooms one couple at a time by our own rep,show around room then from there i didnt do anything if i didnt want to.people were there to even help me carry my juice to my breakfast table...i mean i didnt need that but im just trying to get the point across that everything was done for us.food was A+ ACROSS THE BOARD.DRINKS WERE GREAT.WE WERE EVEN ASKED IF THEY WERE STRONG ENOUGH.and they all remember how we liked them.the service was beyond great.not overly helpful but always there to help with anything.rooms were clean and always made up while you were eating if you wanted.smal fridge in room was fully stocked everyday with whatever you took out all free of additional charge.even ice.there were fridges everywhere,at tennis court,at tv room,and at pool.all stocked all the time.great touch if you ask me.the resort site says portable air conditioners in the rooms.they werent portable and wer nice and cold all day long.hammocks all over the island at all the beaches to use.right on the water.whew i gotta rest...theres is not one thing i would say that could make this any better for us.

Room Tip: although the beachfront rooms are a little smaller they were fantastic.and the beds were really comf...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 9331441

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
USA
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We traveled to Palm Island from 27 Oct to 4 Nov, 2011. If you are looking for a romantic "couples" vacation this is the spot. I am American and have traveled to all corners of the world for both business and pleasure and this place is simply perfection. I read every review on this island in tripadvisor and in all of them i can say the negatives are overstated and the positives are understated. I will say the resort is not for elderly and kids ( they only allow kids certain times of the year). We reserved a Island Loft and requested a beachfront which we did not get, so they upgraded us tot the sea grapes suites which are very nice and incredibly large. The shower is huge double heads, the tub is large enough for 4 people, not that we tried that. It was the best sleep! To say the island is beautiful just is not enough, Its majestic. The water is Perfect, Clear, Warm, and the snorkeling is fantastic right off the beach front lofts.
The staff is like an old friend. They are top shelf, period. Chris the GM was off the Island for several days when we first arrived. The Ladies Sandrina, Joneil, Cordelia, Monica, Nair, and Olive took better care of us than I have the ability to put into words. The guys Anthony, Dexter,Luke(These guys are fantastic) Kenneth, Kevin, and Clayton are a hoot and make everything you want a pleasure for you. I cant say enough about the staff they are the best. They new our first names on arrival and like others have said we didn't check in until we had breakfast and unpacked the next morning. The staff never made us feel like we had to rush or that anything we asked was an imposition not 1%. The food was better than excellent every time breakfast, lunch and dinner. The portions are small for a big eater but i just asked for seconds and they were like no problem. The birds were a non issue. Got about 5 bug bites and i didn't use the provided repellent. If you like golf and your a bit anal about it go somewhere else. analogy: it's like going snow skiing in North Carolina and complaining its not Colorado. With the Snorkeling, Scuba Diving, Sailing, Beaches, Off Island excursions who needs Golf. This resort is in a off the map location but why go to Fiji when you can go here I have been to both and the Natural attractions and beauty of this place is every bit as good and it does not take 2 day to get their. WE LOVED IT! WE WILL GO BACK! and soon is too long from now. The only thing I can say negative is that its not easy to get to but if it was it wouldn't be what it is. We stayed on Palm Island with 16 other people the entire week. FYI Nov starts the high season and the guest count goes up to full capacity ( About 80 total). Southern Cross Villa is like something out of a Richard Branson wet dream. It does not get any better than that!
Go and you will not be disappointed instead you will be amazed at how a place like this can still exist on this planet. The staff is gracious and I miss them as much as I miss anything. If You go say hey to Anthony and ask him about his Basketball exploits, He is great!

Room Tip: In order of good to best. Rooms; Palm view, Beachfront Lofts; Garden , Beachfront (Gardens are hug...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank leanangle
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Our first trip to the Caribbean and almost 3 years of planning but I couldn't have chosen a better destination. 3 years is a long time to plan a trip but my first contact was with Nicole Merigelli who responded promptly.

Nicole was very knowledgeable, friendly and couldn't have been more helpful over the course of our 3 year planning and correspondance was always on point. When planning your trip contact her first. Best way is by email nicole@eliteislandresorts.com

I made the mistake of calling the 800# and did reach Nicole, but it was the WRONG one. Honestly I wasnt sure I could reach her by email after a year but her longevity with this company speaks volumes for their commitment to service and it shows all around. Kudos

We had made the right decision afterall.

Travel

A long day of travel, small plane. New and interesting experience to say the least. They do handle your bags on arrival in Barbados so that was nice. Arrival in Union Island was smooth and more staff waiting with a golf cart to transport you to the dock. Cold towels and cold water greet you on the boat ride to Palm Island. Smiling happy faces of the locals was so welcoming!

There is something to be said about first impressions and well Chris and his team greet you on arrival standing there with a tray of rum punch, wow. No check in needed here, you are promptly shown to your room and left to enjoy it.

Room location is not really a problem here. They all seem to be convenient to reception which is the hub of the resort. My room was clean and beachfront. Magnificent.

Cold drinks in the fridge and NO TV.

I didn't miss it but my better half was missing his shows, good thing for DVR.

Food is outstanding!
Can somebody say Lobster!

So many delicious items on the menu choosing was always hard but we tried almost everything.

Staff are top notch service professionals who made you feel at home! Each and every member was delightful, friendly and helpful to the extreme.

I can't think of all the words to fully describe this paradise but I will tell you it's not a super modern mega hotel it has more of an at home feel.
Especially if your home is in the middle of nowhere and all you can do is enjoy the environment free of noise and distraction. We indulged and relaxed and had a trip of a lifetime. Glad I don't have to search for 3 more years for our next destination my trust is with Nicole to lead us to our next adventure, we are hooked! Big thanks to everyone who made our stay incredibly memorable!

2 Thank Sophistatraveler
Shoreham by Sea
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Let me take you through our experience here in sequence, because you do need to read this as we experienced it.
First off, the flight from Barbados to Union Island (the nearest airport, only 5 minutes from Palm) was a scream, quite literally in some cases! You fly in an 18 seat turbo prop plane. Bear in mind the 18 seats are only suitable for otters. They’re tiny, and for the larger person quite uncomfortable. The plane had been waiting on the runway for some hours before we embarked and we waited a good 30 minutes before taking off. It was like an oven in there and along with the small cabin (claustrophobic) it was an uncomfortable 30 minutes, to say the least. A cold drink and a wet towel would have really helped here. However, once we were in the air the atmosphere chilled and the journey was quite comfortable. And the landing on Union was a hoot. You come in over Palm Island, turn hard right and descend quite sharply coming in very close to the steep sided hills on Union. It feels like you’re going to land in a town, but end up landing in a perfectly usable little runway. This landing was real fun and perfectly safe, but for nervous flyers perhaps a bit of a challenge.
However, I don’t care if flying terrifies you, you must make the effort to come here. This island is stunning, beautiful and private. There were many times during our stay whereby we felt the island was our own.
Upon arrival we were greeted by the general manager, a charming chap called Chris, and a wet towel (a bit late?!) and a drink. We were then taken to our rooms and were told we could check in the next day. How excellent is that? Top class hotels around the world could take note of this way of checking in.
So let’s run through the experience by title:
ACCOMODATION:
Simple, but nicely furnished with plenty of storage. Always clean and the air-con worked very well. Do try to get a beach-front property as the views are worth it. The bathroom was ok and did the job. But do NOT expect 5 star, modern rooms as they are not like this. But trust me, it doesn’t matter.
FOOD:
The food here had a bit of a battered reputation. But Chef Baka has created an excellent team here and honestly the food here is superb. It has European and US inspired dishes and by and large they were very well cooked (steaks in particular were brilliant. I asked for rare steak and got rare steak! This is not always the case even in London restaurants). The amount of food may not be enough for big eaters, but that’s just tough. There was always a salad buffet for lunch and dinner and you could eat as much of this as you liked along with the usual offerings. They also have an excellent UK trained oriental chef who made excellent sushi, spring rolls and was also a good pastry chef. Excellent!
DRINK:
Many of the staff were very experienced, at least 2 had spent many years on cruise liners. So they know how to mix a cocktail. These were the best examples of people knowing how to create a drink and matched any barpersons we have come across in the UK or USA. The beer here was very good as was the wine, and the choices of the house wines were also very good. Champagne was part of the all-in deal too, although a bit acidic for my taste and it got too warm too quick, it still shows generosity on behalf of the resort.
STAFF:
Easily the best we’ve seen in the Caribbean, and as good as many in the Indian Ocean. The general manager Chris told us he chose them on personality first, and it showed. We had real fun with many of the guys and girls and they helped in some partying during certain nights. They worked their butts off but always managed a smile and to always put the client first. Nothing was too much trouble and trust me, my wife and I can be demanding! If you are coming here do make an effort to get to know the staff as they’ll improve the enjoyment of your holiday. So high 5 to all the staff. I won’t single out any (they know who they are as we tipped them well!!!) here, but even those who weren’t as lively were still good. My wife and I will return here and I’m preying the same staff will still be here.
CLIMATE:
Hot and humid, obviously, with smatterings of rain. Windy most days. What else?!
INSECTS:
Even Eden had a snake! But I never felt mosquitoes were too much of a problem. They were definitely present and they love me, but as long as you take precautions you shouldn’t be too bad. The biggest problem was the midges or sand flies. The little so and sos came out at around 4pm and buzzed around your head, especially on still days, but on windy days you never saw them. I did notice that many people had numerous bites on their lower legs so they obviously hadn’t taken the correct precautions against sand flies. My advice? Use the sprays they provide (again, very thoughtful) especially at night. And ladies, spray your bare legs! I know it’s a bit uncomfortable but preferable to being bitten. As ever, mozzies and midges are ever present in the Caribbean but vigilance wins out every time. Finally, I didn’t feel there was a particular problem here so their fogging and spraying is clearly helping.
PALM ISLAND ITSELF:
Oh my God! How gorgeous is this place? 5 beaches – all stunning with powdery white sand. The interior, with over 1000 palm trees was also lovely. As an example my wife and I had a picnic on one of the beaches (all arranged by the hotel) and drank wine (in wine glasses) on the beach, being lapped by waves. We did this for 3 hours and never saw a soul. It was like our own private beach! Very romantic and a day that will live in our memories till we die!
The swimming pool was long and narrow, and had a free form shape. It always had one or two people around it but because of the shape you could always find an area where you couldn’t see anyone, so privacy was maintained. We really liked the pool and the pool area. And they kept a fridge in the grounds with topped up soft drinks and beer. So if the bar staff didn’t get around to you often enough you could just help yourself. Again I felt this was another little touch that just added to the enjoyment of the holiday.
THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR AND SOUTHERN CROSS:
Say what? Want to experience something akin to Thomas Crown in his Caribbean hideaway? This is it. Southern Cross is a beautiful house that belongs to the hotel. It is furnished to a very high standard and consists of a detached, secluded house on a hill over a small beach. It has an infinity pool, a large outdoor area, a lovely dining room and kitchen and 2 bedrooms with excellent en-suites. And it’s yours and yours alone. You can get food brought to you (the fridge is full of drink) or take a golf buggy to the restaurants. With air conditioned bedrooms this remains the best Caribbean experience of my life. It’s not cheap but if you want to re-enact a movie for real, this is it.
EXCURSIONS:
There were plenty to choose from but the highlight is a visit to TOBAGO CAYS. These 5 islands were only a few miles from Palm Island, and one of the islands was where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed. So you’re going to see a beautiful outlook with shimmering, azure seas. Honestly it was the prettiest view I’ve ever seen. Don’t miss it.
MANAGEMENT:
The managers here were superb. Chris, the general manager was probably the star of the show out of ALL the staff. Very charming and easily able to deal with guests’ problems. My wife and I had an issue or 2, took these to Chris who was able to sort them out in a heart beat leaving us very impressed. He has overall power on this island which is exactly what you want, and he uses this to ensure visitors have an experience above their expectation. May I just say he succeeded, and his attitude was a big part of this.
NEGATIVES:
Ok, I’ve waxed lyrical about the island, but what were the negatives, there has to be some? Well ok, I’ll try but I’m getting picky now. First off, the resort had bikes to cycle around the island. I think these bikes were built at the time of Stonehenge. Nuff said!
The journey to get here is quite hard – especially if you have a long wait in Barbados. But many guests used the waiting time at Barbados to visit the Concord Museum (next door), or to take a trip around the island, or to have lunch in a hotel. Once you land at Barbados you actually leave the airport and have to re-enter it to check in for the next flight (this is true of arrival and landing). Therefore visiting the island is easy if you have time.
The rooms didn’t have any TV, phone or internet access (although internet access was obtainable elsewhere). The lack of a phone was an issue if you needed something, as you had to trudge to reception to ask. But the lack of other items was a bonus. I didn’t miss any of it.
FINALLY:
If you’ve read this far – well done – and you’ll realise what a gem I thought this island was. However, one final warning. Do you like being social all the time? Do you like chatting to other tourists and bonding and forming groups? Do you like crowds around you? Music everywhere? Arranged drinking games? Soccer on the beach or inland? Parties morning, noon and night? Soccer crowd? And so on? Then go elsewhere. Because here you’ll find romance, peace, quiet and a great place to re-charge the batteries.

Room Tip: Beachfront, 7 to 19.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Teamtango
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with a friend just after Easter this year - a bit of a treat to ourselves after lots of work/exam stress!
Negatives first and it is not really a negative - Palm Island is definately a romantic location so maybe not obvious first choice for two girls wanting to relax. Yes, there were plenty of honeymooning couples but there were also many couples and a few families who clearly came back every year. Regardless, despite the romantic vibe, we didn't feel awkward in any way.
In fact, if you want to relax, Palm Island is the perfect place. No TV, no 'phones, yep one computer with internet access but you won't want to use it. This is the perfect place to get away from it all.
The rooms are simple, clean and very, very comfortable.
The beaches are astonishing and it is worth taking a walk around the island (it won't take long!) to see crabs and other wildlife.
The food??? What can I say- like a five star restaurant every night. As a vegetarian, I was very well-catered for and have it on good authority that the fish was out of this world.
The staff were fantastic - very attentive and genuinely interested in making sure your stay here is as great as possible.
Worth taking day trip to Tobago Cays - my friend and I were the only people on the day we went - had catamaran to ourselves, swam with turtles, snorkelled on reef- totally amazing.

Overall, I would totally recommend Palm Island - it is the ideal location to get away from it all - pack some books, your swimsuit and relax!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marium22
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

this resort is great for those people who want to get away from telephones ,computers and emails and television . The rooms are good air conditioning works well staff our some of the most friendly I have met the great thing is on arrival chris the manger meets you with a cool rum punch and smile

1 Thank Blindbatt
Reviewed 28 October 2011

The staff was great and made my anniversary trip wonderful. The food was very good and you must get the salt fish and bakes, if they're available. Everyone was so helpful in making sure we were fine and had great suggestions for trips and activities, from the manager to housekeeping. We really enjoyed the trip and cannot say enough good things about it.

1 Thank Sleepylloyd
#1 of 2 in Clifton
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#2 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!