“5 Times in 4 years - We are Hooked!!!”

Palm Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
Pontyclun. South Wales
“5 Times in 4 years - We are Hooked!!!”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Well what can I say... here we are having returned back from Palm Island only 8 months since our last visit?

The good news is that it’s just as we left it back in June last year.

Chris (Manager) still has a good command of the resort which continues to make continuous improvement to services and presentation.

This time it was with pure relaxation in mind although we did go on a trip sailing on the ‘Pink Lady’ to Tobago Cays and spend time swimming with the turtles and a BBQ on the beach – we had a fantastic time and the crew were absolutely great!

The food never ceases to amaze us.... the ‘a la Carte’ menu in the main restaurant provides an excellent choice at lunch and dinner times... and the Sun Set Bar / Restaurant has some excellent meals at lunch time.

If you are into spa treatments the resident Beautician and Masseuse Veronica Cooke’s is the best you will find. She offers a range of treatments for men and woman, all at affordable price.

The grounds decor and upkeep of the grounds has improved greatly over the last 4 years – you may even be able to play a complete game of golf without losing a ball soon.

We have found our Bolt Hole - Suffice to say ‘We will be Back!!’

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Zeus69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I went with my boyfriend and his family, and the place is incredible. We traveling from Philadelphia, and it was a long journey which was one small downside. We flew Philly>Miami>Barbados(hi Rihanna!)>St. Vincent and then took a boat to Palm Island. We had to pass through customs twice which is a bit annoying. The island is gorgeous though, and remote. I will say, this is a place you go to sit, eat, drink, and swim. We did take a scaramouch to the Tobago Cays one day which was fun despite the cloudiness, but other than that there aren't many extra-curricular activities besides exploring the island (there are a few trails to hike) and doing some of the non-motorized water sports. Overall, fantastic trip. The staff absolutely made it what it was. Anthony is the BEST!

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to get upgraded to a villa because of over-booking, and they gave us our ow...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank KatieeBeee123
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I visited Palm Island for a much needed get away. The quiet, calm and complete relaxation were just what we needed. No TV, no cell phones, internet only if you want it and wonderful peace and quiet. It is a place to do nothing (or as little as you want) and to relax; not a resort with hectic pace or noisy activities. It is your own private island for 60 people. The beach is impeccably clean with a careful raking/sweeping of all outside areas taking place daily. The views are beyond belief and the water warm. Being all inclusive is such a wonderful freedom from carrying purse and money everywhere -- anything you want, anywhere, anytime. The beachfront rooms are huge as are the bathrooms and everything is very clean. The front office staff, headed by Estelle, were great at answering our questions and they proactively recognized issues and avoided problems. All our outings were booked flawlessly. Be sure to go to the Tobago Cays -- snorkeling with the turtles and tropical fish was wonderful and the boatmen go out of their way to show you neat things under the water. I wish the food had been better as it was somewhat hit and miss. Food is the only reason I would not give Palm Island five stars. Much of the gorgeous fresh fish was overcooked. The staff and service were beyond belief in terms of their willingness to do absolutely anything that you asked -- any food, any drink, any service, anything -- absolutely incredible service at every turn. The bartenders (Kenneth and Keon) remember your favorite drink from day one. The waitstaff (Madonna) also knew your special idiosyncrasies and preferences at every meal. It was an incredible week we hope we can repeat again in the future.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are less than 50 yards from the surf across gorgeous white sands. The AC in th...
5 Thank Bestbeachesonly
Titusville, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I stayed at Palm Island at the end of January. I have to say that this is the first vacation we have been on that exceeded our expectations in every way. We own a restaurant and are very exacting when it comes to service, food and atmosphere when we go away and we both agree that Palm Island hit the mark in every category. We are in our early forties and both have very hectic schedules. We were looking for a place to relax and recharge without crowds, kids and a bunch of organized activities. If this is what you are looking for, look no further.

From the moment we arrived on the dock and were welcomed by the staff bearing rum punch our stress immediately melted away. We were escorted to our room by Estelle who explained how everything worked at the resort and told us not to worry about checking in until the next day. We stayed in beach front room number 4 and it was perfect. I will definately request this room or one near it when we return. The room had air conditioning but we never used it, preferring to keep the window open and fall asleep to the sound of the palms, ocean and on a couple of nights a gentle rain that was gone in the morning. The weather was perfect, low to mid eighties with a breeze and during the seven days we were there we had about two sun showers that lasted about ten minutes each. The water was beautiful and clear but not bathwater warm which was perfect since the sun was hot. We started our day with coffee on the beach watching the sun rise and took a dip in the ocean before breakfast, a perfect way to clear the cobwebs from the night before! The best place to swim on the island is right next to the dock, no coral, and luckily this was right in front of our room. In the mornings and early afternoon we would be surrounded by schools of beautiful silver and black fish that would nibble at our toes and swim so close we could feel their fins, very cool. At night we would bring bread from dinner and a flash light and walk out on the dock to spot the rays and schools of fish that come out at when it gets dark.

I was a bit worried after reading the other reviews that the food and service may be a bit lacking. Not so. The food was very good and the portions were on the small side, but you could get as much as you wanted. It also gave us a chance to try everything and not feel stuffed. We never waited long for anything and in fact on our last morning we got to breakfast after our swim and only had about 35 minutes to spare before we had to catch the boat back. Grafton our fabulous server made sure we had our food in record time so that we didn't have to rush over our last meal there. Speaking of the servers and bartenders, they were all great at their jobs and have wonderful personalities but I wanted to make special mention of Grafton, Dexter, Kenneth, Kevin, Madonna and sweet Sherlene. Thanks to all of them for helping to make our vacation so memorable.

It is true that the night life is very quiet which was fine with us. There was entertainment three of the nights that were were there and it was very good, but the bar cleared out by about 11 pm or so. It was a nice time to get to know some of the other guests but then get to bed fairly early so as not to miss any beach time the next day. I definatelly recommend using the bikes to take a tour of the island and check out the other beaches. It felt as if we were on our own private island since we were the only ones on them. They aren't great for swimming because they are pretty rocky. We didn't go on any of the excursions this time because we were so content to lie on our beach and read, but plan on taking a boat to the Tobago Cays when we come back.

We are already planning our next trip to Palm Island. We have been to several very nice properties in the Carribean, but were always looking for something more. We have finally found it and will be returning for years to come.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms 1-6 near the dock are great. They are closest to the best place to swim on the isla...
5 Thank beachbum122269
Reviewed 7 February 2012

My husband and I went to Palm Island for our honeymoon 1/27-2/3. From the moment we were greeted at the dock, to our departure we felt completely satisfied! I must say, we were slightly concerned after reading some of the reviews, but from our first night here, we realized that those negative reviews were probably from people who just don't like anything. We talked with multiple other guests who had the same concerns after reading the reviews, but we all were completely happy with the resort.

We were greeted at the dock with champagne (since we were honeymooners, everyone else got rum punch), and a representative showed us to our room. We were given a tour and explanation of the services at this time. We absolutely LOVED our room. We stayed in Palmview room #33, and it couldn't have been more perfect for us. It was very large, with a huge bathroom (both soaking tub and a shower), and we had a view of the ocean. It was also right next to the bar/restaurant, and was secluded enoguh to be private. Plus, the iguana's love the side of room #33, so if you like them, you will enjoy this room. We also had hermit crabs that wandered around our veranda at night- which we loved. We would definitely ask for this room again on our next rip (because we are most definitely going back). Also, the cleaning ladies rocked! Our room was cleaned everyday, right on schedule and turn down service was great.

The food portions are small, but that gives you a chance to try each course. I never had a problem with getting more food. The eggs benedict at breakfast is the absolute best. I would order it with 2 or 3 sides. We both ate the eggs benedict every single day. Definitely try the baked beans at breakfast, that was the best side. Other favorites on the menus: the black bean soup, the turkey baguette at lunch, and the steaks at dinner. I only disliked one or 2 of my meals, but not enough to send them back or be mad. The dinner menu changed every night and was always served in a quick and efficient manner. We tried the Sunset Grille for dinner, but it was a little slower than the Royal Palm.

I highly recommend doing the day trip to the Tobago Cays. This was the highlight of our trip. Albert and Keit were excellent tour guides. Albert got lunch prepared while Keit took us snorkeling. On the way back, they stopped the engine on the boat and sailed us back to Palm Island. Albert poured us a glass of wine and we just took it all in. It was incredibly romantic and relaxing. By far the highlight of the trip.

We had a slight mishap with our hammock lunch, and the staff was incredibly accommodating with it. Chris the general manager sought us out to apologize and we completely appreciated that.

The staff is really great. All smiles and very polite. Never intrusive or rude. We really enjoyed sitting at the bar with Kenneth or Randy, and having Kevin or Madonna wait on us. During the BBQ night, Kevin asked if I had ever tried a coconut, when I said no, he said "I will find you a young one, be right back". Next thing I know, he shows up with a coconut for my husband and I, and a couple of spoons. It was delicious!

In terms of the age concerns that many people noted, we noticed a variety of ages here. We are both 29, and we were one of the youngest couples there, but there were others our age. I was actually impressed with the diversity of the people at this resort and was very happy with the company of the other guests! We met some really, really nice people! I was actually very happy to be around a mature group. We chose this resort because we knew there would be no "spring break" types here. And we were right!

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, full of beauty and no worries, this is the place to go. It is not for party animals, or club hoppers.

Go snorkeling while here, and definitely ride the bikes around the island. Do not miss the view from Iguana Trail, it is unreal.

Room Tip: We LOVED palm view room #33
11 Thank Krissyde
travelingmomma
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Well I have to say I became more and more concerned about going to Palm Island with some of the views I read. I started to think the kind reviews were from staff and management but having gone I believe they are from people who actually love the resort!

We were on little Palm Island from 1/26-2/2 and wish had been maybe a couple days longer. Most of our vacations are running through countries trying to see everything possible this was a far cry from that.

After 14 hours of travel we arrived around 6pm to a beautiful island with drinks and staff awaiting us. Our room was a beach front #9 and modest but what you should expect at any beach not the Ritz or Mandarin. It was totally suitable.

Dinner was as indicated by others small portions however, you get 5 courses and can ask for more than one of anything and larger portions. You have a choice between 2 of each course except the main course where you have a choice of 4 or 5 selections usually red meat, fish, vegetarian and pork or another fish. I saw nothing strange or off putting on the menu and all of the food was good and some was great! We live near DC and go to NYC enough to have enjoyed good food and dinner was good! Breakfast was as much food as you want as was lunch. For those reading other reviews you will not be hungry unless you chose to be! The bar does not close until people go to bed (sadly around 11pm) so don't worry about them kicking you out.

To those who were bored I am sorry to say I disagree. The mean age of our foursome is 39 and while younger than many guests we were never actually bored. We went on the Hobie Cat (ask for Cliff he is lovely), kayaking, swimming, tennis, ping pong, shuffle board and over to the far side of the island (a mere 15 minute walk) to hang out alone on private beaches. If you are looking to relax and not feel pressured into Julie your cruise directors goal of making sure you can carve a pineapple and ice sculptress by the end of your week this is the place to go.

While others were enjoying the bar at night our foursome went to the library where no other guests seem to haunt and played games, called our kids and occasionally watched TV. We did not feel pressured to go sit and drink as we can do this at home usually drinking around lunch time.

Keon makes the best drinks followed by Randy and Dexter. Be careful though the rum punch is heavy with alcohol. Grafton the head waiter took a few days to warm up but eventually became one of our favorite people to see. He was extremely interested in making sure he heard and carried out what we wanted above and beyond by a lot! Madonna another waiter was funny, light and a ray of sunshine! Sherelene is an amazing care provider and I loved watching her take care of some of the more elderly care as if they were her own beloved family. Kevin was light and funny. Sungina the on site manager is smart and motherly. We heard more about Chris than saw him but he was lovely. We did not care for a few of the front desk staff but they were fine just not as friendly or effusive as the rest of the staff by contrast.

We took a water taxi with Elle and Orlando to Tobago Key for snorkeling and it was likely more exciting than many quests might enjoy. It was 1/3 the cost and again if you are not afraid of getting wet it's fun. I have thrill issues so water taxi in a channel with semi high seas was fine for me but others might not enjoy that. Bring a life jacket (wish my girlfriend had) and get your snorkel equipment early or be sad. They did not have a lot of snorkel equipment and that was disappointing.

Use the beach next to the dock or on the other side of the island for swimming. The area near the bar where the Hobie Cats are is full of painful coral that actually cut my leg when it hit me. The dock area is nice and not assaulting.

We must have gone at the right time of year because biting bugs or bugs of any kind were not an issue. They do have plenty of OFF if you need it though so don't bring any....I did and felt stupid.

The rooms were not really cleaned to my hearts content. My husband argued that they were fine but it was minor issues and not egregious. I did loath the comforter so bring a blanket from home if possible.

This was the most relaxing trip I have ever taken in my life. I will go back when I am 60 I hope and met so many guest (younger than 60) who had been back 5,6,8 times and love it for good reason.

Room Tip: If you are happy with the really loud sound of waves crashing I recommend the beach front houses. I...
7 Thank travelingmomma_9
Cape Cod
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We consider the island one of the best in the Caribbean as it has beautiful beaches and you are not bothered with hawkers trying to sell you something. Day trip sails to the Tobago Cays is a must especially if you like snorkeling. Over in Union Island at the Anchorage Club there is a professional kite sailing outfit where you can learn to kite sail which is becoming a very popular sport. The food at the resort is good to very good with the service being very good to excellent. It is best to go to dinner when the restaurant opens at 7PM as then you get the best and timely service. Overall the staff is very friendly and they seem to have their act together in working together to give you very good service. This place is ideal for couples who want to socialize with the other guests or just be alone. Very little night life and entertainment is only on three nights per week. Palm Island resort is a must if you want to chill out and just relax.

Room Tip: Waterfront rooms number 9 to 16 are our favorite.
5 Thank Bill246
#1 of 2 in Clifton
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#2 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!