“A paradise island not to be missed.”

Palm Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“A paradise island not to be missed.”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Palm island is a wonderful relaxing holiday destination probably the loveliest place we have visited.
A beautiful island in a warm sea.
The staff were extremely friendly happy and attentive.
The meals were very good and
We had a holiday to remember.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Brenbags

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We recently spent 7 nights on Palm Island and were very satisfied with just about everything. From the moment we arrived and were greeted at the dock and escorted to our quaint ocean-front room, to the day we left this magnificent gem, we were treated as guests in someone's home. The property is very well kept and we explored just about every inch of it. A walking path takes you on a tour around the entire island, with detours up the four mountains where you can see as far as the eye can see. We made this a daily occurrence. The island has beautiful plants, trees, birds, iguanas and even a few goats. The birds are very present, especially in the restaurant. They have figured out eating habits and can determine when you are about to get up from your table and lie in wait. We didn't mind this at all. In fact, it was quite entertaining. The iguanas also visit the restaurant looking for a handout, which we were happy to give them. With no TV or phone in your room, you can really cut yourself off from your hectic life at home and truly relax. You can be as active as you want or do absolutely nothing. The champagne sunset cruise on the Yannis is a must. This is one vacation spot we will not forget and will most likely visit again in the near future. I'm already missing it!!!

Room Tip: Ocean front room is a must, although there are no bad rooms.
2 Thank Prairiebossbuzz
Foster, Rhode Island
Reviewed 4 December 2013

From the moment we landed in Barbados to the moment we cleared customs on our way home, Palm Island Resort took care of us. We were greeted on the dock with rum punch and taken straight to our rooms - our bags were promptly delivered directly to us. We were officially in paradise.

My husband and I stayed in Room 25, which was off the "beaten path" (if any path on Palm Island could be considered well-traveled) and we had ample privacy and a view of the beach. We were thrilled with the size of the room, and the champagne that greeted us as a honeymoon treat when we arrived.

The resort does not feel commercial in any way, which I truly appreciated. Snorkeling with Margot is like a private snorkeling tour of the island (and it is some excellent snorkeling!.) The Tuesday night history presentation at the Art Gallery is a fascinating presentation in the beautiful home of Doc Chevalier, the resident doctor and prolific artist. And the bicycle tour with Horace the GM takes you to all the island's most stunning views and even shows you everything behind the scenes.

The weather was absolutely perfect during our mid-November stay, and the water was more beautiful than I could have imagined. I have pictures on my personal camera that rival the postcards, because the island's beaches are simply that beautiful.

We never had to fight for a beach chair or a private spot. In fact, we often wondered, "Where have all the people gone?" We had a private picnic at Hammock 1 one afternoon, and didn't see a single soul for over 5 hours. I got to pretend I was a (well-fed) castaway on my ow private island all week.

There are a few small cons that I will mention in the interest of a balanced review: the snorkeling equipment was a little picked over while we were there, the baked goods were not very moist, and the sand flies definitely come out strong by 3 or 4pm. These were all small tribulations for such an amazing location.

I have my own request for Palm Island: Please don't change! Please don't become a mega-resort, please don't become toooo polished, please don't price me out! I almost hesitated to write this review because it can't be long before the secret gets out about this piece of paradise that's long gone under the radar (though recent reviews in Conde Nast are likely to change that.) But please, please, please keep your rustic charm, your sincere and earnest service (especially Antonio the groundskeeper, Shanique, Alex, and Anthony) and the peace and privacy that only a small resort like yours could ever offer. I had the honeymoon of my dreams on Palm Island and I want to come back again and again.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank SHJutras
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear SHJutras,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of Palm Island. We are thrilled that we could make your honeymoon trip an incredibly memorable experience.

Palm Island is a very special place in the Caribbean and enjoys a very loyal guest following. We look forward to welcoming you to this group and hope to spend many happy anniversaries with you in the future!
Hindeloopen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Could not be better!
The warm welcome when you arrive is not fake, the atmosphere stays like that the whole vacation! Hospitality at a high level.
Relaxing, feeling home, one big family and everything in good harmony!
No tv's, no telephones on the beach, no cars, free bikes.
Beaches so quiet and calm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Femke K
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

We were lucky enough to get to visit this wonderful little island to celebrate my mum's 60th birthday. As there were 6 of us (all adults) we hired one of the 2 villas associated with the hotel, the Sea Feather.

The journey from Barbados consists of a small propeller plane to Union island and then a quick boat ride. I can see people have complained about this and added it as a negative aspect, which is ridiculous as how else are you going to reach a tiny private island?

When we arrived,we were met on the jetty by staff with drinks and big smiles, a really nice welcome. As it was late (around 6pm) they said we could go straight to our rooms and check in the next day, another really thoughtful touch.

The Sea Feather villa is spectacular. It is located on the far side of the island to the main resort (only about a 10 minute walk!) and feels very secluded and private. It was very spacious, with 2 large double rooms and one twin, all en-suite, and a large living area and kitchen with everything you might need. There were large decking areas on the front and back, and it sat right on the beach. Amazing! We were provided with a golf buggy for our stay, and there are also a number of bikes that are there for hotel guests, which are a fun way to explore.

The resort is not very big, consisting of the main restaurant and bar, and the sunset bar a bit further along. There are also only around 50 rooms, so it feels very intimate. The beach up by the resort is great for snorkelling, and all equipment is there for you to use freely. The pool area is lovely, and there is even a fridge stocked with drinks should you get a bit thirsty. I think one of the best bits about the resort is that it is so spacious. Nothing feels squashed in here, everything and everyone has room to breathe. A refreshing change from some resorts we have previously visited.

The food was great, lots of choice at breakfast, both cold and hot. There are birds and iguanas that hang around looking for scraps, but that's par for the course in the Caribbean and the staff handle it really well. Lunch again was great, you have 2 choices, main restaurant or the sunset bar. They then serve afternoon tea, if you have room! Dinner was usually in the main restaurant, 3 courses, delicious. The staff are very attentive, and we always felt looked after.

Activity wise, there are a few things on that are posted daily. Such as a 6.30am tour of the island with the general manager, a snorkel tour by the lovely Margo, or evening fun in the form of crab racing or some live music. There are other things you can do (if you can drag yourself away from the sea!) such as table tennis, pool, tennis courts, a library.

The island itself manages to perfectly balance the hotel, some beautiful private villas and a whole host of wildlife all in perfect harmony with each other. The amount of wildlife thriving on such a tiny island should be hugely praised here; iguanas, many different species of bird, lizards, geckos, butterflies, turtles and land turtles can all be seen up close. The resort actively works to promote the wildlife, which is why the central part of the island has been untouched, to allow the wildlife to thrive.

As you can probably tell, we were.blown away by this place, it was a wonderful holiday and we enjoyed every minute of it. I have been lucky enough to travel extensively around the Caribbean, and this is definitely one of the nicest places I have ever been fortunate enough to stay in.

A few people who I wanted to mention:
Yinka- the lady that looked after us in our villa, such a lovely person and a pleasure to meet.
Anthony- remembered all of our names, always had a big smile.
One of the gardeners whose name I am so sorry to have missed- thank you for bringing me fresh Aloe Vera to sooth my insect bites!
James Lane one of the managing directors who was there whilst the usual GM was on leave, an attentive and down to earth manager, again, it was a pleasure to have met you.

Overall a truly memorable holiday, and a perfect way to celebrate my special mum's 60th, thank you to all the staff at Palm island.

A quick note on insects- again I have seen a few reviews put this as a negative against the resort which I have to say is a bit ridiculous. I did get bitten very badly, and it was a nuisance, but I always get bitten when in this part of the world. Tip, wear the wrist bands that contain repellant or mix citronella oil in with your sunscreen and after sun.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank misstiny7
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Had an excellent experience at Palm Island Resort in the Grenadines. Relaxing time with a private beach just across our room. Perfect place to chill! No TVs! The staff is very friendly. The place is all-inclusive so you don't have to worry about food and drinks- rum punch, all day! Surprisingly easy to get to from the US (fly to barbados- many direct flights from; we flew from Miami; then a quick flight to Union Island, Grenadines and then a 10 minute boat ride to the island resort). Food quality could be better.

Room Tip: Ask for the beachfront rooms; we were in room 2; rooms 1-4 appear to be beachfront in the sense that...
Sykesville
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We returned a few weeks ago from Palm Island and it was a most relaxing week. We were celebrating my 60th birthday and a bottle of champagne was delivered the morning of my birthday. We stayed in Loft #44 and our room was large comfortable. We enjoyed the beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean and the sound of the waves everyday A short walk down the beach provided us with great snorkeling and a wonderful place to play in the water. I would advise water shoes. We rode bikes around the island the first morning to get the lay of the land. The sign up book is at the desk at reception. This is also where you sign up for day trips, spa sessions and anything else you want to do. We took the Pink Lady over to Tobago Cays and had a fantastic time swimming with the turtles and then were treated to a great lunch on the beach. The first Sunset party at the Sunset lounge was held while we were there and the party and view were fantastic. Be sure to enter the contest for best picture. Breakfast had lots of different fruits and many other choices. Lunch at the Sunset restaurant was outstanding. We asked them to bring us a cool frozen drink,and surprise us! They came up wonderful green drink that we later called Caribbean Breeze. Dinner had a variety of beef, chicken, fish and other goodies. It kept changing and everything was good. The size of the serving was enough to that you had room for desert. Horace is very visible and always checking on things. Anthony was promoted to assistant manager during our stay and I am sure he has great teacher with Horace. Veronica gives a great pedicure and is a joy to talk to. Niarshair was wonderful, she made sure everything was just perfect with our meal and drinks. Nothing was too difficult for them to do and all you had to do is ask. Horace is doing a great job bringing new ideas to the table and making sure Palm Island stays on top of the competition. They do spray if the bugs get too bad and there is spay in the room. I used it a few evenings. Remember to check out the pool, the waterfall is great. There are fluffy beach towels and bath towels in the room. The staff kept the frig well stocked with our preferences. Housekeeping does a wonderful job and I loved the turndown service each night. My 60th birthday was an experience to remember. I would recommend this wonderful place to anyone who wants to regenerate their body and spirit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Clifton
The Islander's Inn
The Islander's Inn
#2 of 7 in Union Island

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!