“No Better Place to be Stranded”

Palm Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Union Island
Southampton, United Kingdom
“No Better Place to be Stranded”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Our apologies to Chris for not posting this review earlier but we finally have a few moments to record our thank to Chris and his team for making our extended stay as a result of the volcanic ash a truly memorable experience.
It was our fifth visit to Palm and we return because the setting is idyllic and the accommodation spacious. We prefer the Palm View rooms as they are larger than the beachfront and the bathroom is much more spacious with a bathtub as well as the large walk in shower.
We have always found Palm idiosyncratic and that is part of its charm. However, with the most recent change in management there has been a marked improvement in the Palm experience. The most noteable improvement is in the quality of the food. During our 16 day stay (8 as a result of being stranded by the Icelandic ash) we experienced fine dining, with well balanced and imaginative menus and good quality fresh produce. It is clear that there is an extensive programme of staff training as well as improvements to the facilities. The staff are attentive and the service is personal. Chris has introduced a drinks service on the beach which is excellent - full credit to Monique who delivered our G&T's on the dot each morning!
Chris is determined to respond positively to any suggestion for improvements and any request we made was acted upon immediately.
The bar area is a great meeting place before dinner in the evening and guests are made to feel welcome and comfortable. Premium brand drinks are served as part of the all inclusive option which is superb - it is becoming a rare in the Caribbean so it is great that Palm continues to realise that this is important despite the economic downturn.
The treatment we received from Chris and his staff as a result of the Ash situation was exceptional. Every effort was made to accommodate us both literally and metaphorically. We stayed in our original room and Curlene handled all the negotiations with Virgin Holidays to ensure that our situation did not become stressful. When we eventually left for home we found other holidaymakers from different resorts in the Caribbean had not had such good fortune.
The mark of a good hotel can often be seen in how they deal with the unexpected/tricky situation. Palm Island's handling of our situation was exemplary in every way and we cannot thank them enough. We have stayed in Antigua, St Lucia, Tobago, Grenada, the Maldives, French Polynesia, Bali, to name but a few. Palm Island is without doubt one of our most favourite holiday destinations and we shall, of course, be returning there again.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank Caribrus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We went for our Wedding and Honeymoon and it was pure unadulturated ecstacy! You are treated like royalty from the moment you step off the boat until the moment you depart. We were met by Chris and his team and they are soooo friendly and polite. The food is sensationable and you are not starved or overstuffed. The meal times are taken at a leisurley pace, which makes such a change, but the one thing I was disappointed about is that it does state "long trousers", which not everyone adhered to, so I think that this should be addressed and noted by all visitors! The rooms are comfortable and the mini fridge is stocked daily, but in saying that Jonny at the bar makes superb cocktails and one of the most unusual was made by Margaret, and it was champage and juices, well worth a try!! Lafeisha in the restaurant is one of the most friendliest people I have ever met on holiday! You are meeted personally by her and she will assist with anything - a real and genuine person for a change!!
In general a wonderful Wedding, which they organized perfectly, and a superb Honeymoon. We could not have wished for anything else and anywhere more perfect!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Let0807
miami
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I would like to say this was a buisness trip but there was not much work to do. I truly got to enjoy Palm Island, Union Island and many other Islands in the Grenadines and for me, the trip ended at St. Vincent for Carnival.

My flight from NYC to Barbados was an easy trek, when landing at Barbados you start to enjoy the blue waters, but you are not there yet. We are met by a Meet and Greet Service which assist's you with your inter island flights, you go through Security and into the airport for your layover. You do not handle your bags, someone gets them through customs on on your way to Union. In the Brbdos airport there is a wonderful woman who is selling quality all natural soaps etc. stop by and say hi. Have a drink or a yummy Crepe from the snack bar and there is wifi so you are not out of touch.

Another meet and Greet is there to take you by golf cart to the dock where Bert and the guys will gt you over to Palm Island for your first of hopefully many Rum or Fruit Punch. You are escorted to your room, no check in necessary. Do as you wish and I did relax.

Dinner at the Royal Palm was delicious and the grounds are well kept.

I did get mosquito bites as it did rain a bit before I arrived, they did spray and this really happens outside. I managed to keep my room bug free. Bring your favoriate repellant and after bite care like hydrocortisone. Ask the resort for a little Aloe that helps too

Which let me tell you after hearing about Air conditioning issues I must say in my beachfront #5 I was ice cold.
Everything was wonderful location, during the day and night it was peaceful I did not hear anything but the chirping of crickets and tree frogs, it is an awesome lullaby at night.

Went on the Yannis day sail which was nice, but my seperately purchased lunch cooked on the beach by Captin Harris and the crew is delicious. go the extra mile and try the fish or lobsters they may have and the garlic double stuff potatoes are sooooo good and well if you ask he might have a fruit platter which is enough for 6 or more to have a piece of ths extremely sweet mango pineapple, passion fruit, bananas, etc.

I did go swimming with the turtles and good thing for the guide that brought me back to boat(hard work) as the current took me away(just kidding but you could feel the difference going back), I was safe and it was a fantastic experience overall.

Snorkeling in front of the resort right from my room I was able to see some pretty fish and the pool is another peaceful escape.

I kept in touch at home with internet which I could pick up around the resort but best at the internet/tv room.

If you are fortunate to meet the Island Doctor/Artist and his lovely wife it will enrich your experience. They are outstanding!

The entire staff is friendly and helpful, I witnessed a nice rapport with other guests not just for my personal service. Chris Ghita, the GM Monica in the office and everyone makes sure that they do what they can to make you feel at home.

One night I did get off the property and went to Union Island for nightlife at at very local venue called Stress. Captain Harris is also a water Taxi so he did pick me up and take me back to Palm. I had a blast as I do love reggae (by DJ) but there are other things to do mostly on the weekends I believe Bougainvillea has a live band you can go for drinks at you could always hang out at Anchorage as they have WIFI TV Music and Bar and food as well for some nice local dishes and very laid back atmosphere.

Saturday night they do have the BBQ which was nice and the entertainment:) good local acts. and I am happy to say all the local people are very nice.

I left Palm Island by Ferry to St. Vincent but most guests would go to St. Vincent by plane which is quick and convenient. The ferry is more like the mail boat but it really is no problem. if you have the money and can take a private charter which is even better(it does cost substantially more but you can visit Bequia on the way)

I did arrive St. Vincent and Stayed at the Villa Lodge for a week so see my next review for St. Vincent.

My Palm Island/ Grenadines experience was truly priceless.

I see now for myself what I have heard so much about, it lives up to the hype!

I can't wait to go back

• Stayed June 2010
6 Thank gbebe125
Notts, UK
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Just returned from a 2 week holiday in palm. We chose virgin and paid for the upgrade to premium econonmy which I have to say is not worth the price. Going out there was no inflight entertainment which is just not acceptable on an 8 hour flight and their idea of compensation is quite frankly laughable. The plane going out was far from clean and the service average.

Now to the important part Palm. The main issue which is not Palms fault is the internal flight between Barbados and Palm which is just awful. The plane is soo small and old I have to say I was nothing short of petrified. It is boiling hot on the plane and really uncomfortable and the delays whilst you wait are really long and add to a very long day. In addition the travel agent really should inform you that the bag allowance between barbados and palm is 3kgs lighter than that of the virgin flight and if your cases are too heavy then they may not make the flight till the following day so it is worth packing a bikini and swimming shorts in your hand luggage just in case.

And there the whinging stops because once you arrive at Palm all the issues disappear once you have rum punch and see how beautiful the island is. Chris and the staff meet you and whisk you to your room check in the following day.

Having read some of the earlier reports we were a little worried about some aspects of palm and I cannot see what island those people stayed on but clearly it can't have been Palm. Yes the mozzies flies and sandflies were a problem. However we requested a mozzie net which was provided the very next day and was a massive help. We received complimentary spray for us and the room which also helped the problem. In additon Chris arranged for the island to be fogged more regular and brought in people to deal with the issue of the sandflies and the flies in other words as much as possible was done.

Some of the staff are on Carribean time but hey you are in the carribean so what is the problem. Just relax and go with the flow and you will find it does not bother you.

The food which seems to be where most of the moaning is about. I cannot see the issue. There are 2 restaurants breakfast is in Palm and the choice is unlimited. Lunch can be at Sunset or Palm the lunch menus at both are the same everyday but given that there are some 15 dishes on each menu how can you get bored unless of course you don' t try things. Evening dinner is in both restaurants but we chose to eat at palm each night. In the two weeks the menu was not the same once the food was stunning. My husband can be quite fussy but he was simply spoilt for choice and loved the food special hello to the chef who was fantastic. Just a point to the person moaning about 5 courses each night..... You don't need to have 5 you can have as many or as little as you want I ate 2 courses most nights my husband ate 3.

The best trip by far was to the Cays on the Pink Lady the guys in the boat were great. I am not a strong swimmer and they kept a close eye on me in the water so that I felt safe. Swimming with the turtles is just stunning and not a trip to be missed.

Now to the important part which made the holiday the staff. An over the top thanks to Anthony who made us laugh constantly and great service Grafton who knew our names from day one and when he was there things ran soo smoothly Cherrill and Olive for being so friendly Johnny just for being johnny and Kenroy for the best cocktails around. Everyone down to the poolman and housekeeping were so friendly nothing was too much trouble. The odd niggles you only had to mention them to Chris once and they were sorted instantly.

Palm is simply stunning in it's simplicity if you want lots of entertainment and watersports it is not for you but I would hate to see it change.

Thanks to everyone for the best holiday yet. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2010
5 Thank Kez56
Suffolk
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We stayed at Palm Island for 2 weeks and got married whilst there. Our trip was delayed by the ash cloud but we were fortunate to be able to rebook the entire thing 10 days later than planned - huge thanks goes to Carole at Kenwood Travel for working her magic.

Our flight with Virgin was ok - we upgraded to premium for the extra room. Given the price I was disappointed the plane was not clean, service was poor and the food quality quite shocking, particularly on the return flight. Here I saw 2 engineers fixing a seat in front of me with gaffer tape - the seat was not fixed to the floor properly and the universal fix-all saved the day but I'm glad it was not my seat & I was behind it. I am not a fussy eater by any stretch of the imagination but on the way home even I could not stomach the breakfast which was a microwaved stale dry roll with a half inch slab of bacon fat inside - the alternative being a cheese spread equivalent. I have had far better experiences for less money with Thomsonfly

We arrived in Barbados & had a few hours to wait before our onwards flight, so we had a look round the tiny airport & had a beer - good job as it provided Dutch courage to get on the next plane. The connecting flight was an experience - only a few of us on it to St Vincent but then it was full thereafter. The heat is extraordinary - no air vents to speak of let alone air con, take a bottle of water - the plane is so small & you are squashed together so the heat just intensifies. My advice is sit in the single seats on the left .

Arrival at Palm was unforgettable, Palm Too whisks you away across a turqouise sea & we were met by Chris & his staff with rum punches. We were shown straight to our beachfront cottage no.8 & our bags followed. Our room was lovely, simply furnished but everything we needed. No glass in the windows but shutters over nets, fabulous view, I loved waking to the gentle sound of the waves and the birds - how anyone could have a problem with that I cannot imagine. Fridge worked & was fully stocked with soft drinks & beers, no problem with drinking the tap water so no need for bottled water. Air con effect is limited due to no glass but was cool enough for us. Lots of handing/drawer space, iron & board in the room, hairdrier etc. MY GHD's didn't get hot enough to use for some reason so I adopted the beach look! Walk in shower, great pressure & always hot water. Ladies, I would not bother taking soap, shampoo or conditioner, there are complimentary bottles replenished whenever you require - they are Gilchrist & Soames moisturising with honey & I did not use the Salon brand stuff I took with me as it was not as good as the freebies. Save your weight allowance for more clothes!

Beach is amazing - never felt crowded, always beds if you want them & thanks to Monique for the drinks in the morning though the bar is steps away so no trouble if you need a top up. Sea is warm and calm, people insist on feeding the fish bread which is amusing the first time you do it but then Nemo turns ferral & my husband kept getting nibbled which was a bit off putting. Great snorkeling if you swim out over to the right from the main beach, we saw loads of fish and a spotted ray.

Food was lovely, we ate at the grill each day for lunch for a bit of variety, the Cesar Salad was great, in fact we never had a bad meal there. There is a lovely breeze running through the bar as the back of the building is just shutters. Evenings were at the main restaurant, the hotel was nearly at capacity so if you weren't there by 7.30pm you would have to wait to be seated so we just went later on instead. Drinks good, wine absolutely drinkable. Good variety of dishes, BBQ were good - it said in our room info the grill was open in the evenings, but when we asked we were greeted with confusion from staff who knew nothing of it. I read with interest the latest reviews which seem to report it is now open twice a day. Breakfast was good - birds a bit of a nuisance but nothing to worry about. Service in general was good, few hiccups here and there but nothing worth getting worked up about, Chris the manager is on the ball & tries to rectify any issue as soon as he can - but he can't help if he doesn't know about it! I was a bit pink on the shoulders one eve, which he noticed & on return to our room after dinner, I had a plate of fresh sliced Aloe which is the most effective sunburn remedy I have ever used - if you are a bit scorched round the edges, just ask a member of staff for some. The entertainment was absolutely fine - I did not see anyone wandering around the restaurant getting anyone to sing - it certainly did not happen when we were there.

Our wedding was beautiful, make up & hair by Veronica in the salon - she did a great job of taming my sun & sea damaged mop into a sleek up-do - I was apprehensive I would look like an 80's throw back but there was no need & she was fab helping me get ready. Curlene made a great job of the venue, I didn't want to be under the trees, but wanted to be in the shade - Bridezilla took over - so they dug out an Arabian style gazebo & put it on the beach so I could have the backdrop I wanted. They will do their utmost to get you what you prefer for your day. Photos we have so far from James Jackson supplied by the hotel are fantastic, he really is good fun & we had a hoot dashing about on the beach in & out of the surf for our shots. Anthony looked after us during our meal at the heart shaped tree and organised a song for us which was very sweet.

We did a couple of trips - on the Scaramouche to the Tobago Cays which is awesome - loads of turtles & a great day out, also to St Vincent for the day which was lovely but hot and we also had the Yannis all to ourselves for a champagne sunset cruise after our wedding.

Palm Island is lovely, but it is not cheap. If you are after beach aeorobics, loud music and drinking games then forget it thank goodness - if you want a fly & flop, great beach, peace, quiet and no TV then book it. Would I go back? Yes, in a heartbeat. Is it perfect? No it's not, but if you bring the issue to someones attention everything is done to try to remedy it. It took a long time to choose our wedding destination and I have no regrets at all.

Please PM me if you have any questions, you'll get an honest answer!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank catpusspink
Hampshire
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We spent two weeks at Palm Island in a Palm View room at the end of May beginning of June. From Barbados we visited 5 islands before landing at Union Island but it was all part of the experience. The weather was great and any rain appeared mainly at night. The Palm View rooms are huge and so is the bathroom and bath (most rooms only have showers). Like many reviewers have said before the staff really can't do enough which was a big factor in enjoying our holiday. We only took US $ and this was all that was needed, the shop only takes this currency and trips can be paid this way or by card. The air conditioning and fans in the room are more than adequate, the food was very good, all named alcoholic drinks even my Dubonnet. We were lucky enough to attend a wedding of some friends we made on holiday and it was a fantastic day and the only wedding on the Island in the two weeks we were there so they were made to feel very special. We took two trips, one on the sunset cruise on the Yannis and the other to Tobago Cays and swam with the turtles on the Scaramouche both were equally as good and thoroughly recommended. We also went snorkelling, swimming, kayacking, sailing, bike riding on new bikes and played pool. It's a very peaceful Island, most people gather for drinks before dinner but it can be quiet in the evenings. I didn't see one mobile, laptop or blackberry on the beach which was great, but for those who do need to keep in contact with home the internet was very quick and free. We were supplied with inspect repelant 'Off' which I can recommend. They keep the insects down by fogging the Island at least twice a week. We want to thank Chris and all his staff from Monique who brought us drinks on the beach to Margaret who waited on us at the heart shaped tree for making our holiday so enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Pozzey
London
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We stayed in Palm Island just for one night as we were in the Grenadines and we decide to change our plans and go island hopping.
We were thinking of it as a paradise from the brochures -a private island with amazing beaches, excellent service (as you pay so much) and very high standards.
Unfortunately because we were expecting so much we got disappointed.
Our room was very nice, a cottage in front of the beach - clean and spacious! The beach was nice and the breakfast they served really good!!!!!
The rest now...service very poor..at the beach bar they didnt have fresh juices (suppose in the caribbean you want to drink fresh tropical juices as they have loads of fruit)...The dinner food again very poor..very average quality..the whole resort not well maintained. There is a lot of room for improvement and ridiculous expensive for what they offer.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Mustique
Tenuta Chatham Bay
Tenuta Chatham Bay
#3 of 6 in Clifton

Been to Palm Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!