“Expensive but OK”

Ranked #2 of 7 Union Island B&B and Inns
Porlock, United Kingdom
“Expensive but OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is a beautifully set hotel, our clean and bright room had a balcony looking over the beach to the rolling surf beyond.
The Inn is a long way out of Clifton where every other hotel, restaurant, shop and trip is. It is walkable, I guess, but it is not a nice walk, being up and down a steep hill on a concrete road. This means you must to eat and drink at the hotel. The food is very good. The prices are little high and can only be found in the bar. Check the price list before you eat to avoid a nasty surprise when you checkout.
The owners were keen to organise our stay in a way that I found a little overbearing. However, Clyde is very organised and organising of the taxi drivers and George, the boatman, too. So they do turn up on time and do what you want them to do.
The room was $US 110 a night, plus food. This was the highest price we paid in 5 weeks touring the Caribbean and it was not the best room nor the best hotel. There is free WiFi and we were lent free snorkelling gear.
We did not spot any better hotels on Union Island.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MillOaks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Jabiru, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Well this was a surprise find. Situated in a tranquil bay on eastern side of Union Island with white sandy beach, it's away from the main town (1.5km), so nice leisurely stroll, very little traffic and very little noise makes it extremely peaceful and relaxing. Beautiful ocean views of surrounding reef and Mayreau. The building itself is presented in beautiful pastel colors and there are only 5 or 6 rooms with easy access to dinning room and garden area. Clyde and Sandra are the owners/builders and they were very friendly and welcoming. Clyde helped out with organizing day trips and diving/ocean cruises, as no one else wanted to go that day I had a private diving and snorkeling adventure through Tobago Cays with an amazing lunch on James Island. Finally a very new experience, dinner and breakfast. Clyde is a wonderful and very passionate chef who takes care over his dishes and pride in his presentation. Looking round for a menu I could find none, when Sandra brought the drink order she proceeded to explain to myself and the other 4 guests the dish we were having for dinner and if there was an ingredient in the meal we did not like, myself and all guests said we would be happy with the meal and left our taste buds and stomachs in the hands of Clyde. Wow!!! ... what a taste sensation, all meals were superb and his special ingredients gave all dishes a fresh and tropical flavour. 4 days was not long enough. Thanks Code & Sandra.

Room Tip: If the top floor honeymoon suite has been finished being built, Book It!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 4mikeoliver
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the most peaceful place we've ever been. The beautiful views were amazing. The owner Charles and Sandra were very kind and helpful. Made our stay very relaxing. The dinners we had were awesome. Everything we ate from breakfast to dinner were made with Charles garden fresh vegetables. Try his Lambi, the best on the island. The rooms were very clean. Don't need air conditioning, there is always a great breeze. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: All rooms come with a view of the ocean and Mayreau Island.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We really enjoyed the family togetherness we felt from the staff at The Islander's Inn and the care and attention to our well being and happiness. The rooms are spacious, clean and has a relaxing atmosphere. The beach is literally in front of you and private. The food was absolutely amazing, delicious and healthy while capturing the essence of the Island Flavors. The Islanders Experience is one that everyone needs to experience in their life time.

We can't wait to go back.

Nigel and Melissa

Room Tip: Talk to the staff and they will show you the love and respect you deserve on you trip away from home...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
St. George, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Clean quiet friendly place. Best food we have EVER had! Went at the beginning of November and had the hotel all to ourselves. Service was superb and he showed us around. Couldn't have picked a better place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

So I booked this place based on the very good reviews and decided on ignore the average and poor reviews, but after my experience I think I will have to concur with the latter!

The place is relatively new with modest furnishings, but no safe in the room, no air conditioning, so pretty basic I would say. Also, it is not in Clifton, it is only one kilometre away but you need to go up a very steep hill and down again and if you have bags you will have to get a taxi (Ours cost EC$10 per person). Price is US$110 use without breakfast. Breakfast is US$11 per person or EC$30. There is no choice (one of the owners, Clyde, said: Just trust me, I'll make something good!). We were given quite a small portion of scrambled eggs and 2 pieces of toast which tasted ok. So based on this information I would say the place is very expensive. Clyde said that we are in the heart of the carribean and that's how it is there, but in Carriacou, which is just 20 minutes away by boat, we got a self catering cabin for US$65, and in Bequia, which is part of the Grenadines too, for US$95 and the latter one also included breakfast, had a safe and a/c. Also in Clifton, union island, you can go for a very nice breakfast for just EC$10 (Big Citi, on top of the tourist info, also has free wifi).

While we are on the subject of wifi, for some reason which I did not understand, the owners kept turning it off and I had to keep asking them to turn it on. Quite frustrating and awkward! I thought wifi was included in the price of the room, but it felt like they were doing me a favour!

Another awkward moment for me is having to ask for prices all the time. There is no menu or price list for anything, be it lunch or drinks, or dinner. I managed to locate the breakfast price on the website. I think maybe Clyde is used to people turning up and not caring how much they spend. Even when you ask, you don't get a straight answer, you get a funny look, which makes you feel very awkward, and a " Relax, take it easy!". I'll take it easy when I know the price of everything, thank you! There is also a service charge of 10% added to the price of food and drinks. Not sure what this is for, the only staff members we saw were the owners. Aren't the prices high enough, or was the 10% for the walk from the kitchen to the table?

Clyde and his German girlfriend are well-meaning enough, but I am sorry to say, I would not recommend this hotel, or union island at this stage. The surrounding islands are much nicer and offer better value.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JadeJaguar2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

The owners get all out of their way to make it their guests comfortable: tasteful cooked Carribean dinner and breakfast, comfortable and clean rooms, helpful with organising trips and overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Superb! PS Only bring some moskito reppelent for the sand flies!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,337 reviews
Saint Joseph's House
Saint Joseph's House
#2 of 6 in Clifton

Been to The Islander's Inn? Share your experiences!