“Wish I had more time!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Tejeda
Los Angeles, California
“Wish I had more time!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was a must stay for me when I saw the photos on TripAdvisor. I just returned from the Canary Islands and I stayed at Hotel Parador 2 nights and the only bad thing was the weather. I had high hopes and I could say it lived up to my expectations. It was super quiet at night and I got a great nights sleep. Beds were comfortable and loved the room layout. The spa was high on my list and I could say all the staff at the hotel were super helpful and friendly. I stayed here on my second night in the Canaries and I could say that I should have stayed longer. The sun decided to come out the day I check out. I could easily return to just stay there a week and mediate and relax. I took a taxi to get there for about $40 euros from Las Palmas and I made a deal with the taxi driver to come back and drive us to Agaete. Great Place.

Room Tip: I found that I had a great room and if the sun had been out, the view would have been spectacular an...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Morgantown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My first reaction to this hotel was that it reminded me of a church. It was so quiet. No one wants to spoil the peace, so everyone whispers with one another. The next thing I noticed was the art. The hotel is like a museum. Around every corner is another stunning piece of art.

When the weather was nice, my room had a great view of the beautiful Tejeda valley. But I didn't spend a lot of time in my room. If you are a hiker, there are a few great hiking trails adjacent to the hotel. But beware, the weather can change quickly. The nights of my stay were wet and windy. But I didn't mind. When the weather turned nasty, I just grabbed a book, and relaxed in the beautiful and comfortable chimney lounge. This is also one of the few areas where I could access the free WiFi.

Another option when the weather turns bad is to visit the spa. But it's not free. I didn't visit the spa, so I can't tell you what it was like.

A few other reviews complained about the restaurant. I didn't eat dinner in the restaurant, but I thought the breakfast was great. There is plenty to choose from, including eggs, fruit, bread, and pastries. The design of the restaurant is nothing fancy, but who admires the restaurant when there is so much to admire outside the window.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting the gran canaria, stopping by here for a night is a must! We were lucky to have had a perfect sunny day in which we spent doing a hike with directions provided in a printout by the hotel with many descriptions of the sites we would see. Being from Vancouver, BC we have been on many scenic hikes but this one surpasses any experience we have had before.

Room - large, beautiful, and clean. We could not have asked for more. The room comes with a large jacuzzi tub perfect for relaxing at the end of the day.

Reception - friendly and speak good English. You receive a welcome drink of your choice upon arrival.

Location - a bit far but completely worth the travel because the views are next to none! The best views of the most beautiful mountain range I have seen. We took a taxi from the las playas cantera area which we negotiated a flat rate of 50 euro. It took approximately an hour and was a beautiful and scenic drive. You do have to eat in the restaurant at night here as the choice is limited and the food is not great and a bit pricey but acceptable.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Michelle_heidi
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I have rated this hotel as 4 star since that's what I believe our experience merits, however the four stars would come with some reservations.

The positives: the hotel is in a stunning location and the views are breath-taking. The staff we met were all charming, helpful and accommodating. The rooms are well decorated, clean and very spacious with lovely bathrooms. We didn't use the spa but this also looked lovely. Breakfast was excellent and the terrace in front of the restaurant was very stylish.

The negatives were mostly associated with the time of year we travelled, which is hardly the fault of the hotel. We stayed towards the end of November and were looking for some winter sun. Unfortunately we hadn't taken on board that the hotel is 1500m above sea level and it was cold and raining when we arrived, the next morning was foggy but when the mists cleared we could see that the views were amazing. Like other reviewers we were disappointed with the restaurant for dinner. Whilst the food was good the ambience was poor. The restaurant is huge with a high ceiling and canteen lighting, the front is glass which in day light would be spectacular on account of the vista, but in November it was obviously dark and so the atmosphere lacked any warmth or intimacy. Once engaged, the staff were lovely but initial contact was slow - we really liked the people who served us but thought a bit of staff training on the basic meet and greet wouldn't go amiss. There is a bar but this is really more of a snack bar and was empty of both customers and staff.

We had originally booked two nights but although overall we had enjoyed a positive experience we didn't want to stay a second night. The reception staff were very accommodating and didn't hold us to our booking when they could have been perfectly entitled to.

In summary; a beautiful hotel and location, good for a one or two night stay, I would imagine superb for hikers, but bear in mind the location if you're after higher temperatures in the winter months - mind you, we may have just been unlucky.

Room Tip: Be aware there are something like 43 rooms, the majority are twin rooms and although we emailed the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sue1771
Germany
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel's location is really great, the view fantastic - right in the center of Gran Canaria. The rooms are also good (though the hair dryer sucks). There is a small spa which you can use for free if you stay three nights or more - not worth paying 25€, but if you have free access, it is perfect after a long day hiking in the mountains.
What I did not like were the restaurant and cafeteria - about as cosy as the cantine of a hospital, totally understaffed, and very few vegetarian options. They claim that they would accommodate any specific dietary request, but in reality they just pointed out the two dishes on the Manu that did not contain meat or fish...

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I write this bad review feeling a bit sad. The hotel is in a great location, with stunning views. The building is lovely, and the condition of it great. We are sad that it underachieved so badly.

The building is stunning, a mix of very old, and very new - a really lovely place to be. View from the room is amazing, and we can hear the canaries singing in the morning (and cocks crowing!). It's a bit of a confusing building, stretching around the mountain top, for example we have to go from our 1st floor room, up to the 3rd, then back down again to the second in order to get the spa or restaurant. That's all forgivable, it's character.

The road to the hotel is interesting - ignore how long google maps says it will take, double it. It's tight, twisty, with hairpin turns. Some areas you are just praying a car doesn't come the other way, as they are very blind, narrow turns. Not for the feint of heart, not to be driven at night. We drove from Las Palmas and it took 75 minutes of concentrating hard which is pretty tiring on a holiday. Today we have to drive back down the other side, which looks about as bad. If you stayed in this hotel more than a single night, i think you would feel pretty trapped, with the long drive making trips out prohibitive.

In the room the air conditioning is baffling. It can only be set between -3.0 and +3.0 degrees, and seems to turn itself off in the night, with no apparent way to turn back on. We ended up opening the door to try and get some cool air!

There's no WIFI in the room. WIFI in public areas works OK, but all the guests end up doing the same thing, so it made it noisy and full of laptops.

The spa was nice, we enjoyed using it, with a good variety of water jets, and all the usuals. 32 degree water indoor and outdoor is nice. They have a weird mandatory flip-flop policy and as we didn't have any had to pay 6 euros to buy some disposable ones.

The restaurant was the worst thing by a mile. Due to being in the middle of nowhere, you have almost no choice but to eat here. It's 33 euros per head, plus drinks. You feel like you are in a large operating theatre, the lights are so bright - hardly relaxing. There's no music, the ambience is terrible - the high ceiling makes it feel almost like a school hall. The staff are unfriendly, we were left standing by the door for 5 minutes before being seated. Then 10 minutes before the menus arrived. When requesting drinks, our first two choices were met with a 'shrug'. Finally my wife decided to have a glass of Cava, which was flat. I had a red wine, and it was 'topped up' which resulted in a charge for a second glass. We were offered bread from a basket, which we took - it was hard and dry - and resulted in a 3.98 charge on the bill. I ended up crossing bits off the bill and signing it, there was no point trying to have an argument in the restaurant. On checking out, there was no dispute - my corrections to the bill were handled nicely, so that's good.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing - they don't have any proper cooked food, and there isn't even a toaster. Bread is a bit dry.

Overall this can be summed up as Understaffed, Unfriendly. There needs to be some competition to their restaurant, so people have some choice! You really are in the middle of nowhere here. Keep away and find a hotel where the staff care, and where you can at least have a choice of restaurants. A week here would be HELL! (we had just one night in the end)

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carl_From_Brighton
Wales
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Old meets new in this beautiful hotel, where a smart cloistered reception gives onto the modern hotel proper with spa, relaxed atmosphere, and sense of having escaped the madding crowd.
The food is on the whole pretty good (the local dishes are hearty fare and probably the best thing they do). The rooms likewise are large, and pleasing, with a large private balcony/terrace, though there is no wireless in the rooms right now...so I'm writing this in the calm cool of the lobby.

Oh, then there's the view. There are actually two views from the little pass or saddle on this mountainous ridge where the hotel (and a more down-to-earth restaurant, cafe, and a string of tourist stalls) are located. But the view from the rooms, towards Tenerife (Teide rises impressively off to the right, in the distance), of the national park with its national monument, and canyon after impressive rugged canyon of hazy hues and constantly changing shadows - of blue then pink as the sun sets dramatically over the Atlantic - is why you've come. And it does not disappoint.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tejeda
Hotel & Spa Cordial Roca Negra
#4 of 43 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Hotel El Cabo
Hotel El Cabo
#2 of 8 in Agaete

Been to Hotel Parador de Cruz de Tejeda? Share your experiences!