“a FANTASTIC week!!”

and up
Antigua Shore Excursion: Yacht Racing
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Falmouth
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer a slice of Antigua Sailing Week with our race excursion during which you will take part in all aspects of racing our great yachts. No experience is necessary. We also offer exclusive sunset cruises, half and full day charters and ‘try sailing’ tours where you can take the helm or just sit back and enjoy snorkeling in the clear blue waters followed by a rum punch. All trips are exclusive and can be customized. We also offer individual places or whole yachts at all of the Caribbean Regattas including Heineken St Maarten, Les Voiles de St Barth, Mountgay Round Barbados, BVI regatta, Rolex St Thomas and Antigua Sailing Week Finally if you want to learn to sail or improve your skills we offer RYA training courses from one day to 1 week with live aboard options available.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Bedford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“a FANTASTIC week!!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Just a quick note to thank Peter and his excellent team for such a brilliant week.

I did the five day Competent Crew RYA course, and an extra couple of nights on board crewing for 3 chaps who were taking their YachtMaster exam.

I had an absolutely fantastic time, learned tons of stuff and I am now thoroughly hooked on this whole sailing malarkey :-)

Peter and his team were outstanding, and nothing was too much trouble… I strongly recommend OnDeck if you're thinking about taking any RYA qualification… The whole set up down there in Falmouth is outstanding… Why would you want to learn to sail anywhere else? :-)

I'll be back over Christmas so be afraid… Be very afraid!!!

Fountain Hills, Arizona
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Real sailboat racing”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My husband and I are all about adventure. This comes pretty close to the top of the list. He's a sailor but I was apprehensive. No need. It was the best fun ever. The owners and staff of Ondeck Sailing were so wonderful and took great care of us. What an experience. We hated to see it end. We made our arrangements through our Star Clipper cruise and it was everything and more than we had expected. This would be a great experience for the entire family.

Visited March 2014

West Hartford, Connecticut
“ondeck sail”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

great experience- kids and grampa love it- 8 of us! Only negative was that the first half of the cruise was rough and very windy and a couple of our family got a little seasick

East Norriton, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointed and misinformed”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We booked as an excursion through Windstar Cruiseline. Was listed as a "private yacht and Beach BBQ", limited to 8 guests only. Was not private, as they just added on an additional sloop to accommodate 12 people. Also, boat was not a "yacht", and was actually a 38 foot sailing sloop. Description of excursion said that there would be plenty of room beneath and above decks and those that choose to try to sail would have the opportunity if they wished. We barely had enough room for 6 adults on the boat, and we didn't have the option to go beneath deck. The Captain was confident, but the "first mate" was just a kid and had difficulty following the captain's directions and seemed confused when reading the gauges and towing lines, etc. We took off into a very strong wind, and while the experience was thrilling, it was NOT the "leisurely, relaxing sail" as described. Passengers on our boat were a bit upset with having to brace themselves against the opposing seats because we had practically keeled over. The first mate almost fell overboard when the wind whipped us further to the side!! The beach was disappointing as well. It was not private, as we later learned that there are no private beaches on Antigua. It was also a Sunday, which we found out is a very popular day for people to come to the beaches with their families and kids. The beach we were taken to was very small, rocky, and had a hiking trail running through it, and families with kids were already occupying it when we arrived. Not that this would have been a problem if we had been informed beforehand, but we were expecting a "private" experience, on a beautiful, comfortable beach, and paid the high price ($250/pp) for an exclusive experience, as it was described. I would have much rather gone to another beach on Antigua, as one guest said it best: "There are over 365 beaches on Antigua, and they chose THIS one for us". The other disappointing thing was the beach BBQ. They served chicken legs, small short ribs (pork) and some potato salad. I do not eat pork, and I do not eat dark meat chicken. I know this is a personal preference, and I should have inquired about the menu prior to booking because of my food "hang-ups", but even the potato salad and garden salad were unappetizing to me because they were sitting out all afternoon on the beach on a stump UNCHILLED, and both had mayonnaise-based dressings. I was not even considering eating that and risking getting sick. The final straw was when we decided to snorkel around the rocks and head over to the larger, less-crowded, white sand, non-rocky beach which had a beach bar/restaurant, and when we asked for the snorkel gear we were told they did not have any. We were told that we should have requested it before we left the Ondeck store if we wanted to snorkel. The description clearly stated that "snorkel gear is provided", and no mention of having to make a special request for it. I was thoroughly disappointed with this excursion, and I let the director at Ondeck know we did not enjoy it when we got back. She tried to explain that it was a "yacht", and that the BBQ was a traditional 3-stone beach BBQ, which was fine except it was not relaxing, the food was not appetizing, and the trip did not match the description we booked based upon. I also reported our disappointment to the cruise excursion director and to Windstar cruise line. I hope that if they do continue to offer this excursion, they revamp their description or they make sure Ondeck is providing the experience that is being "sold" to their passengers.

2 Thank SandraSean
Peter A, Owner at Ondeck Ocean Racing, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Hi Sandra and I am really sorry you were disappointed with the experience. I share your view that the description may not as clear as it should be and we are working to change that.
This trip requires a lot of manpower and effort on our part and for just 12 people we had 2 yachts privately assigned plus the use of our powerboat for a full day. Aside from the office and food prep staff there were 6 crew assigned for the yachts and event for the day so when using the word 'private' I would refer more to the dedicated staff and that the yachts were private for the group of guests from the cruise ship. It is by no means a high volume booze cruise
I am unsure how the confusion has arisen on the vessel and maybe pictures of the yachts should be on the description to avoid this but they are most definitely yachts, a sloop is a type of yacht.
As you mention we have no control over the beaches and again the word 'private' can not be used in relation to ownership of a beach in Antigua which I believe is a good thing. All we can do is get you to a beach that is quieter, less accessible for the general public and this case accessible by a hiking trail or boat only.
On the food it is hard to cater for specific requirements and it would have been useful to have had some advance warning when a guest doesnt like BBQ staple food such as chicken legs and pork, again this is something we can look at for the future.
It is hard to cover every point in your review but we do genuinely take on board areas for improvement
Best Regards
Peter
Highland Park, New Jersey
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Sailing Experience!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We were treated to a wonderful surprise mid week of our Antigua vacation. Our "kids" arranged a sailing trip for the six of us and we had a great time (despite two of our group getting a bit seasick). The boat was great, the seas and scenery beautiful. Snorkeling was available and the crew was fabulous! Lincoln and Coffey (not sure I have correct spellings) were skilled, knowledge, informative and fun!

Visited January 2014