“Friendly staff but tough steak”
Review of Horns Inn

Horns Inn
Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Ferndown
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Poole, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff but tough steak”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I went for lunch with clients and have not been to this pub for some time. It is easy to find as it is prominently placed on the main Christchurch road with a large car park.

Since my last visit they have updated the interior and there are a selection of different tables and chairs.

To order you have to go to the bar with your table number and open a tab, they keep your credit card in a locked box and give you the key.

The menu is extensive and they have a section of food which is below 500 calories per dish which is good.

I chose the steak and superfood salad and my guests chose gammon, chips and egg.

The steak, which was to be well done, was rather charred on the outside but still a little red on the inside for my liking but the worst thing was that it was full of gristle and I could only eat about half of it.

The girls at the bar were very pleasant and did ask when I went to pay if the food had been OK, I told them the steak was not good and they were surprised that a staff member had not checked during our meal to see if all was well.

I still had to pay for the sub standard steak, total bill approximately £30 for 3 meals and 3 soft drinks which would have been fine if the steak had been edible.

• Visited June 2014

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Birthday lunch”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Very friendly staff,we where off to a good start.Unfortunately food was very disappointing...fish platter to share rather similar to scraps you get from fish and chip shop...very overlooked almost beyond recognition.When asked was our food ok...we replied disappointing and over cooked.response was I'm sorry about that! I don't think I've ever tasted such tasteless prawns..The staff when clearing table and us commenting on fish which was left so over cooked was going to point out to chef.no response again.!The staff are pleasant but seem not to acknowledge any problems.Shame.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Junelovesfood
“Evening Out”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My friend booked a table for two of us so we could catch up on gossip over some food. Hadn't been there for a long while but reputation for food was good so was looking forward to it. We got there on time and had to go to the bar to ask about our reservation and was shown to our table .I expected some one to come to the table and ask us for a drinks order but that didn't happen so we gave up and decided what we wanted to eat and my friend went to the bar after about twenty minutes and ordered drinks and food. Meal was very good and we were asked quite soon into the meal if everything was ok.In conclusion the food was good , nice atmosphere but pretty noisy as large open area .My only criticism would be that they need to either advise you to get your drinks and order at the bar when you arrive or have it displayed somewhere on the menu , otherwise nice evening

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank normajean77
bournemouth
“Great new menu and price”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A group of us decided to go for a meal locally, The Horns was the first choice, until we saw the throngs of people! good sign!, we were shown to a table for 5 no problem, the menu was varied, and there were good deals to be had. Especially on the deserts. We were told it may take a while to be served due to the number of diners, after 15 mins our main courses arrived,Good food, good company and very good prices. Have been again several times.

• Visited May 2014
“Good eating pub”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Nicely maintained pub that is mostly focused on food. Good beer, and a reasonable sized 'bar area'.
Nicely laid out and furnished inside, light and airy. Looks to have a nice garden area.
Plenty of choice of good quality, reasonably priced food.
Seems popular, with couples and families.

• Visited May 2014