Horns Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I have attended twice in the last week, I had the sharing fish board with my son, it was slightly over done but not enough to mention. The apple crumble was fine, my husband had rib eye steak the first time round and thoroughly enjoyed it, cooked as requested. He had lemon meringue pie and ice cream for dessert. Which he enjoyed but he did mention that it was a shame it was not hot.
On the second visit I had calamari for starters and scampi for my main, both were good. Hubby had the sirloin steak but didn't enjoy this as much as the rib eye. He had chicken satay for starters and enjoyed it, the inlaws had prawn cocktail and soup for starters and they both had the gammon, egg and chips for main and they really enjoyed it.
So overall I would say it was very good, just need the staff to do a little less nattering amongst themselves and a little more attention on their customer services.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We ate from a two meals for £10.25 menu, and then had desert from the two desserts for £5.25 menu. There were 5 or 6 options of both the menus; something for everybody. The food was very good, and the service was great. Loads of outdoor seating.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I arranged to host a small gathering here for my birthday because of the garden; I had friends with children coming and I wanted them to be enclosed and safe with enough space to play. To begin with everything went very well, the female staff member who booked it for me was accomodating and helpful and I arranged for a small buffet for 35 to be served on the day.

It was a beautiful day and everyone was commenting on what a lovely pub it was and what a find it was, somewhere to take the kids, sit outside and enjoy a nice meal. Right up until one of the children came over to say that he'd been told off and told to go and sit down. When we approached the man concerned it turned out to be the off-duty manager having a drink. He accused the children of climbing on tables, throwing menus, it was outrageous, we pride ourselves on our childrens manners and behaviour but they are children and had they been disturbing anyone surely a polite word with one of us would have surely been the way forward. I would have been mortified if I'd thought that they were upsetting other customers and would have disciplined them immediately. His advice to us was that they should all go and sit down and be quiet, claiming that that is what his children would have done for the whole 4 hours........

Suddenly a lovely birthday celebration turned very sour, all of my guests were disgusted especially as he continued to argue with me in front of all the other patrons, sitting in his chair pint in hand. He would definitely benefit from some urgent training in customer care and management. To argue with a customer, what appalling management skills. Of ALL the ways he could have handled this situation he picked the one that was most catestrophic and had the very worst outcome especially when his 2 female companions started joining in.

We left shortly after that and my birthday was sadly ruined. None of my companions who would all have frequented this pub regularly will never return.

Beware, this pub isn't family friendly, it's bearly family tolerant.

9  Thank loobyloulou1968
HornsInnferndown, Manager at Horns Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hello there.

Ordinarily we do not respond to reviews on TripAdvisr as we like to allow our customers to post their honest feedback and take comments on board where we can. However in this instance, we feel there are certain inaccuracies which we are compelled to respond to. Please be aware that this is not to cause frictions between our values and those of the customer, but to shine light on our actions taken this day.

Firstly, our overriding objective is to provide a relaxed and high-quality dining experience for every customer in a safe and comfortable environment. We welcome everyone through our doors and ask that they respect our values throughout their visit. Unfortunately we did not feel that this attitude was adopted by you during your visit. To highlight a number of issues we had with the behaviour of your children, we witnessed them jumping and climbing across dining tables; throwing sticks and stones at windows; tearing our bushes; running into other customers while creating "dens" in the toilets; throwing menus; climbing trees with electrical equipment attached to them; and riding their bikes and scooters knocking into other diners. Every member of staff, including the Duty Manager, had approached both you and your children on numerous occasions to ask that the situation was settled, and this was confirmed by the Duty Manager to you during the conversations that were to follow. We had numerous complaints from other customers throughout the afternoon / early evening, and many were forced to move indoors. This, again, was brought to your attention at the time.

Unfortunately when I, the General Manager, witnessed your children throwing stones at windows, which I'm sure you can understand could be potentially damaging to my property and harmful to other customers, I asked them, very calmly, to stop this and go and be nearer to the adults of the party. When the two men approached to clarify my reasoning, they became very abusive and threatening to the extent that an independent member of the public felt the need to record it on video as evidence, and another also moved closer in case he felt the need to assist. I also recall being told I would "need an ambulance" and that I was "lucky I'm not on the floor". This abusive behaviour is not tolerated in my business towards me or my staff. This was unfortunately when you were asked to leave the premises and not return.

I would also like to clarify that I would never have spoken to the children had I have had a "pint in hand". I can without hesitation categorically state that both I and my 2 companions were drinking water after our Sunday lunch. The glasses were not even pint-sized as these were from my own live-in accommodation and I do not possess pint-sized glasses - I resent the accusation that I would dare to communicate with customers having consumed alcohol. I would also like to remind you that it was you that came over and circled to our table, yelling loudly and attracting the attention of other patrons.

We are, of course, very happy to welcome families to our establishment. We pride ourselves in providing excellent standards of customer service so long as the respect from our customers is mutual. Unfortunately we are not equipped with a climbing frame or entertainment area for children - just like many pubs in the area which try to attract a predominantly adult clientele do not. We would hope that any prospective customers understand our policies and come and visit us with an open mind having read both this review and our reply.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I love this pub. Food is great and so are the staff. Unfortunately, on this occasion I was somewhat disappointed. I ordered the fisherman's board which is on the " to share " menu. I was asked if I was wanting it as a starter or a main so as it was the only course I ordered, wrongly presumed there would be a difference in size. The platter was barely enough for one! Tasted great but even a 12 year old would have still been hungry let alone two adults sharing. It won't stop me revisiting but I strongly advise to avoid the sharing menu.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

5 of us had lunch on a Sunday. There was a slight mix up over our table booking but it was quickly sorted out without fuss or bother. Throughout our visit all staff were very attentive, cheerful and obliging.
Three of us sampled from the good range of beers, the other two just wanted tap water and this was brought to our table, again no fuss, no bother. A real plus.

Our food was perfectly standard pub grub, well presented. We all enjoyed it.

1  Thank tim252