“Fine dining in super-fine location”
Review of Calypso Grill

Calypso Grill
Ranked #5 of 21 Restaurants in West Bay
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,101 helpful votes
“Fine dining in super-fine location”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We found this spot mainly by chance during our road trip around West Bay. We were looking for somewhere lovely for lunch, and found this place at the end of the road.

We sat outside, on the rail, where the view was breathtaking. We watched the day boats come in and out of the dock.

The menu was lovely, and service efficient. Food (we both had grouper blackened) was very good. Inside looked lovely too, and we noticed the excellent wine list. I am sure it would be a lovely spot for dinner, and we'll try this on our next visit I'm sure.

If my review has informed you, please acknowledge with a 'Helpful' vote - thank you.

Cayman Islands
“Always a Favourite Restaurant - Food is Dee-licious and Calypso Grill Ambiance is Perfect”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Locals and Visitors to the Islands who want to find a Top Class Restaurant Ambiance as well as fine dining will love the Calypso Grill. Many Christmas Dinner Parties are held here as it is simply the most Wonderful place to dine out - overlooking the water close to the boating vessels, large and small it is a romantic spot as well as a perfect business dinner location. A huge hit with everyone - I know people who disembark from the cruise ships because they love this restaurant so much they take a taxi out to this West Bay, Morgan's Harbour location for lunch and then back to their ship in time to depart onboard from the Cayman Islands onward to the next cruise port of call. What a great recommendation to travel to the end of the island location especially to experience the ambiance and great food of the Calypso Grill. It is because it is definitely worth it!!!!!!! Love Conquers All !!!

new york
“Mediocre food , pricey and attitude”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The concierge gave us immediately attitude when we asked for a table ( that we actually reserved !) for outdoor seating . Of course they rather give away large groups tables outside.
The wait was 40 minutes , so we were forced to get in the steamy hot room inside with no AC.
The food was so lame and mediocre . A linguini pasta entrée with three shrimps and three clams for $40 ! Our female waiter was attentive and gracious .

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank cristianonyc
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
“Best gourmet food on the Rock”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have dined here 10+ times and never fails to impress my guests. Superb food and ambience. This restaurant is as good as any top shelf retaurant in the States.

Visited August 2014
“Over-rated, in my opinion”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I wanted to order some fish but I noticed that all the grilled fish I had eaten on Grand Cayman was extremely overcooked. When I asked if they could cook it medium instead of well done, they said they couldn't because there is some rule about how fish needs to be very well cooked on this island. When paying these prices, you don't want over-cooked fish. So this really limited my options. I ended up having 2 orders of the crab cake appetizer, which was delicious. The tuna rolls were so bland I couldn't eat them. I only had one tiny bite and I told the waiter they were very bad, he took them away and asked if I wanted something else, hence why I ordered the 2nd crabcake. But he still charged me for the tuna roll and the crabcakes, which I found annoying. In the US, they would not have charged you for the item that you sent back. I was dying to try the sticky toffee pudding everyone on the island had been raving about. I was not impressed, I was expecting something else. It was basically just a light fluffy cake in a bunch of sauce. They shouldn't call it sticky pudding, they should call it cake. Our server was very nice but he spoke very quickly and with a very thick accent. I had a hard time understanding him and I usually have no problem with accents. The only saving grace of this restaurant was the delicious crab cake.

2 Thank Ashley L