“Expensive and regretful experience”

Dolphin Cove Cayman
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Encounter Program: This program is specifically designed for young children, non- swimmers and those keen to get an up close encounter with a dolphin. Guests stand waist high in the water and interact with the dolphins. You will get to touch, kiss, dance, sing and learn all sorts of fascinating facts about your dolphin. The dolphins will also perform some high energy behaviors guaranteed to thrill and delight. No minimum age – however for safety reasons, young children must be accompanied by one adult per child. (Children under 11 years of age must be accompanied an adult). Dolphin Swim Program You will receive a life vest before getting into the deep water, where guests will get to interact, touch, kiss and enjoy an up close experience. You will get a thrill out of our famous belly rides, where you ride belly to belly with one of our amazing dolphins. At the end of your program, see your dolphins fly high in the air with their spectacular jumps. Minimum age 5 years or older and must be strong swimmers– however for safety reasons, young children must be accompanied by an adult. (Children under 11 years of age must be accompanied an adult).
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I would like to say this was the experience of a life time, but it was not. You get 30 minute in the water with the dolphins for $159. You can't take photos, but they will sell you the photos they take for $120 for disk will all or $35 each 5x7. We felt these prices were greedy and indicative of the entire operation. The encounter is very scripted - clearly the "trainers" and the dolphins are going just going through the motions (over and over numerous times a day).

I wish we would have forgone the experience. I will say though, if you are going to do a dolphin experience in Grand Cayman, this place is looks better than Dolphin Discovery. We checked out Discovery too before deciding to go to Cove. At Discovery, we were saddened by the small tanks in which the dolphins are kept.

3  Thank Tracy T
in 10 reviews
"great pictures"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We loved swimming with the dolphins, although it was a bit of a shorter experience than I had hoped. The staff is really professional and not pushy, which I appreciated. (Which is very unlike most island attractions) Sting Ray City was our favorite part of the trip though, and it was amazing to be there in the middle of the sea and to be there with all of the wildlife and the staff helping you to feel comfortable and hold the stingrays. We had a lovely experience and would recommend to all!

1  Thank Jessica P
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was an incredible experience. The staff were very engaging and funny. They made you feel very at ease with getting in the water with the dolphins. They have different packages that include different experiences with the Dolphins....go for the ultimate package. Two dolphins pull you by grabbing their fin, they push you by your feet with their nose so you rise up out of the water and ski on their noses, they swim up to you and cuddle up against you and give you a kiss...and you kiss them back.

A really fun time...awesome adventure. The water is ocean water and very fresh, the dolphins were beautiful, very healthy and seemed very happy playing with their human pets.

1  Thank Paul A
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My family and I have just come back from our second time at doling cove Grand Cayman, and while two of us had done it before with other members of our family last year and had an amazing time, this time the experience was even better. We took lots of time and did sting ray city first, a great experience with an amazing crew who were helpful and fun, even for a jaded traveller such as my self. We were one of at least a dozen boats, and had a full boat, but very comfortable ride out to stingray city. The crew were entertaining and helpful and the overall experience was really great. I went with my 3 kids and my brother in law, and we had lots of time with the Sting rays and we all had a blast. Even though I have lived in Cayman for years and had been to sting ray city before, it really is a different experience going out with a crew of professionals who know how to properly interact with the sting rays.
After we got back we were going to wait around for about an hour for our dolphin experience. While waiting we had some food, well snacks, if you are looking for more than pizza, patties, chips and soft drinks you will be Dissappointed, this is not lunch but something to hold you over until lunch. Anyway, after snacking on pizza we wondered around and oe of the trainers asked if we wanted to see the birds, which we did. Basically we got what felt like a private tour of the bird facility, which isn't big, but was a great surprise with a very knowledgable and patient trainer allowing us to take pictures with the various birds they had. Totally unexpected and if you aren't anticipating the experience like we werent it was a graet addition to your day. It is very informal with about a dozen birds most of which are McCaws. Don't expect a conprehensive national geographic type tour of endemic birds of Cayman, this is not that type of experience, we were just lucky and got a chance to experience these birds close up and personal because the trainer saw us hanging out. It's not the reason to come, but it was a great surprise.
Next the dolphins, well no matter how many times I do this, I think I will always be amazed. Our trainer nd photographer were both great, very patint and accommodating and exceptionally polite. Seeing the Dolphins in a natural habitat up close and in person was amazing. We had the ultimate experience and it was great, and our photographer documented every second of it. I wish we could have taken our gopro cameras in the water with us, but understand that it could scratch the dolphins, even saying that, we all had a great time and Dolphin Cove has got to be one of the must sees when you visit Grand Cayman. While I have never visited the othe Dolphin park, I have seen it when visiting the turtle farm, and I just can't imagine that with all of its concrete tanks, that their experience could match seeing and simming with the dolphins in the ocean. Our dolphins looked and acted very healthy, not that I am an expert, but I was looking out for any signs of negativity, and I didn't see anything other than a great environment for the Dolphins and what looked like happy animals. Overall a great experience all around, I would have to give Dolphin Cove my highest recommendation and a must see recommendation when visiting the island. If staying on island you have to come, if coming by cruise, it's an equal tossup between th beach, the turtles and Dolphin Cove, the only difference is, with Dolphin cove we got sting ray city included, which is a must see experience on its own.
I hope this helps you decide which attractions to see.

3  Thank JAMBeenThereDoneThat