“Great Location & The Best Instructors!”
Review of Kitesurf Cayman

and up
Introductory Semi-Private Kitesurf Lesson
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Kitesurf Cayman provides professional and safe instruction with the best and most up to date Kiting equipment. The kitesurf season always welcomes awesome conditions in the beautiful Grand Cayman Island. We provide free return transportation for all hotels and condos in the Seven Mile Beach and Georgetown area to our pristine location just outside of Seven Mile Beach in Westbay. Private lessons, group options, advanced lessons, residents packages and equipment rental is all available with options to upgrade as you become addicted to kiting in Cayman with Kitesurf Cayman!
Anchorage, Alaska
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great Location & The Best Instructors!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I showed up to Grand Cayman last week with high hopes of kiteboarding, but realizing the likelihood of enough wind this time of year would be pretty slim. We kept our eye on the forecast which left a glimmer of hope, but when we called another kite school to see what they might have going on, they said "I don't even look at the forecast this time of year," and then said to call back because they were on the other line. We figured we were wasting our time, so decided to scuba-dive for the first few days of our trip. The dives were great, but we were still hoping to get out with our kites.

We took a drive to Barkers, and saw Jhon & Fernando from Kitesurf Cayman. Since they were riding, we decided to give it a try. We have our own gear, but our kites weren't quite big enough, and we're still beginners after taking lessons on various vacations elsewhere. After struggling our way through everything for about an hour, I asked Jhon if he was an instructor and could help me out. He gave me a helmet with radio, a 17 meter kite and a big board, which were perfect for the conditions. He began by giving us tips about how we could have done what we had already done in a more safe and effective way with very simple, logical, and memorable reasons why. He then took us out into very shallow water and watched me ride for a minute before we got started. He was very quick to gauge my experience level and offer instruction accordingly. Everything was simple, to the point and just the right amount of information to build from. The radios were very helpful while John taught me the basics, but then he wisely cut back on using them as I began to progress.

My husband and I were equally impressed with Jhon as an instructor. Every word was useful and specific information with no fillers or fluff to add any confusion. He spoke clear and repeated what he said to make sure we understood. My progression was not held back or rushed by the instructor, but the instruction moved at the same pace I was learning.

One of my fears when riding on my own in the past has been that I could not relaunch the kite or recover my board while out to sea in light-wind conditions. After just an hour with Jhon, I was riding up-wind, relaunching the kite from the water and had learned how to effectively recover my board with confidence in 9.5-10 knot winds. Woohoo!! We rented the same kite the next day and enjoyed a few more hours of riding with Fernando handy and quick to help with anything we needed. Woohoo again!!

Riding at Barkers was the perfect location and we were so happy to discover Kitesurf Cayman there. If it weren't for them, our vacation would have come and gone without any riding, I would be missing some great skills I picked up, and we never would have realized how awesome a spot Grand Cayman is for kiteboarding. We'll definitely be back soon!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Whitney H

Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“Good Guys!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Jhon and Fernando are solid guys. I spoke with Fernando over the phone and set this kite surfing lesson up for my two boys and their two friends. They will pair you up, if you selected "buddy" lessons based on body weight. All four boys were able to get up on the board and surf within the two hour frame. Please note that all four of these boys are young (think teenagers), flexible and athletic. Your results might be better or worse.;). The instructions you receive is first-rate! Both Jhon and Fernado do an excellent job explaining and have the patience needed for beginners. If you are unfamiliar with the island, the directions that you receive can be a little vague. So here is some pointers.....once you get inside the National Park, ie, the dirt road, stay on the main dirt road, there are MANY side roads, till you come to the "kite surfing" sign. If you see the "hurricane kitesurfing" sign, you have gone too far. Turn around and head back to the first sign. This is an excellent choice for the more adventurous type.

Visited July 2014
Courtenay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Learning from the pros”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my first visit to Grand Cayman and i feel fortunate that my friends convinced me to try out kite boarding while i was there.

Jhon and Fernando are extremely experienced and professional instructors who know how to make this sport fun and safe AND they certainly have the patience required to teach beginners!

I was excited to get on the board by class 2 despite the light winds and i plan to return to finish up my lessons with Nando so i can ride solo!

See you in the winter guys :)

Visited June 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun experience for first time surfer!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Barker 's beach is an amazing spot to kite surf, the beach was beautiful and the wind was perfect. Bruno, the instructor was very thorough and patient. MIGHT need more than two hours to get time to fully enjoy it. WOULD have gone back the next day if we had the time.

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Awesome all around experience”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Prior to this lesson, I'd been kiteboarding ~8 times, including lessons with a couple of companies in the Bay Area. My lesson with Kitesurf Cayman was by far my best kiteboarding experience to date. Everything about it was excellent, but for me there were a few things in particular that made it stand out:

1) The location was fantastic -- large area to launch and tons of shallow water to practice in with not many other people around
2) Convenience -- The location is close to 7 mile beach and they picked me up from my hotel
3) Quality -- The instruction was great. I came in with the explicit goals of learning to ride upwind and learning to turn. I accomplished both by the end of my 2 hour lesson.

I'll definitely go back Kitesurf Cayman next time I'm on the island.

Visited March 2014